Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Thailand
Reload this Page >

Money transfers to Thailand from HSBC (UK) - slower and error

Money transfers to Thailand from HSBC (UK) - slower and error

Old Jan 12th 2018, 1:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Davita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Money transfers to Thailand from HSBC (UK) - slower and error

Very simple Atilla ...if not content with any bank.... why not cancel and open another.
I'm happy to have introduced you to TransferWise anyway and hope that works for you.

Last edited by Davita; Jan 12th 2018 at 2:54 pm.
Old Jan 12th 2018, 11:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Atilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really nice

Ridiculous and totally useless comment.

Vey simple Davita. This is a discussion forum and it is useful to bring information such as this recent development to the attention of others. You have clearly, judging by some of your responses, failed to comprehend some of the points being made, the point about there being no charges for transfers between HSBC accounts being a prime example. At no stage was that ever under discussion.

I certainly don't need you or anyone else to point out the blatantly obvious "if not content with any bank.... why not cancel and open another. ", a puerile response that smacks more of temper tantrums than anything. If banks are changing procedures that are adversely affecting customers, especially financially, they can and should expect to be challenged about it, if you would choose to bury your head in the sand and merely walk away, or advise others to do so, rather than a) informing others about the issue or b) attempt to do something about it, matter for you.

And again, thanks for reminding me about Transferwise, a company I'd looked at previously along with Xendpay.

Last edited by Atilla; Jan 12th 2018 at 11:19 pm.
Old Feb 12th 2018, 10:23 am
Just Joined

amy23 is an unknown quantity at this point

While we are talking about western bank accounts, I would like to know if there are western banks in Thailand, by western I mean Europeans, I've been here for three month and I didn't see any of them, only Thai Banks... :/
Old Feb 13th 2018, 8:27 am
BE Enthusiast

RedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond repute

Bank of America/Merrill Lynch on Sukhumvit (though this may only for commercial banking).

Citibank has three branches in Bangkok, with actual ATM's and foreign exchange tellers. Seems they provide service if you have a Citibank Gold Card. Not sure if they waive the service fee.

Then there's the Canadian Scotiabank partnership with Thanachart Bank.
Thailand | Scotiabank.

"Yes, you can withdraw cash at all ATMs in Thailand that display the VISA or Plus logo, including at Thanachart Bank ATMs. A THB 150 fee (~$5) per transaction will apply. The maximum withdrawal amount is THB 20,000 ($670) per transaction." If this is true then it would be the best deal in Thailand...even with a foreign exchange fee.

For outside Bangkok that might be the one, but it is actually just affiliatory. They don't actually connect Canadian accounts with the Thai ones, though it does seem to be a bit easier to do bank-to-bank transfers by check or slow wire transfer.

ABN AMRO, PNP Paribas, Deutsche Bank and HSBC all have (or had) offices in Bankgkok.

There are lots of "Representative Offices" of foreign banks as well. These are likely business banking people.

Last edited by RedApe; Feb 13th 2018 at 8:31 am.
Old Feb 14th 2018, 10:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by amy23
While we are talking about western bank accounts, I would like to know if there are western banks in Thailand, by western I mean Europeans, I've been here for three month and I didn't see any of them, only Thai Banks... :/
Many for investment banking but not for retail banking.