Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Thailand
Reload this Page >

Looking to spend 6/7 months in Thailand from Dec 2010

Looking to spend 6/7 months in Thailand from Dec 2010

Old Nov 3rd 2010, 10:52 pm
Just Joined

MonkeyDuck is just really niceMonkeyDuck is just really niceMonkeyDuck is just really niceMonkeyDuck is just really niceMonkeyDuck is just really niceMonkeyDuck is just really niceMonkeyDuck is just really niceMonkeyDuck is just really nice
Default Looking to spend 6/7 months in Thailand from Dec 2010

Hey,

I've just turned 30 and decided to take a career break after recovering from a serious car accident, I'm looking to spend 6/7 months in Thailand from December.

I was thinking of doing some volunteering work and maybe re-training in holistic therapies but have (quite) a few questions if anyone could help?

1) Does anyone have any experience or contacts with voluntary organisations who dont charge a fortune (organisations like realgap are far too expensive and aimed more at younger college/uni leavers)?

2) What is the best place for volunteering? I would like to work with children so I guess teaching English would be the best option? Also, I want to be near the sea, maybe Phuket or or one of the islands, is this possible if volunteering?

3) Has anyone learnt Thai masssage, reflexology, aromatheraphy, yoga, reiki etc in Thailand? I would really like to re-train whilst there but cannot seem to find a decent place to study in the south, the only courses I have seen which seem reasonable are in Chaing Mai but I would prefer to be somewhere more exotic.

4) Also, I would like to spend a few weeks in a health retreat learning yoga, meditation etc when I arrive but dont want to spend a fortune, I have seen some of the spa's in Phuket and they are circa £800+ a week - I really cannot afford that, does anyone know of a more affordable place, preferably in the south/ one of the islands.

5) Can anyone advise me on the best visa, should I sort it out before leaving the UK or see how things go when I get there.

6) Do you think theres enough for me to do for 7 months, will I get bored?

7) How easy/difficult is it to find long term/ permanent work in Thailand, I am a qualified accountant and have completed ACCA currently working for a big4 firm in the Midlands (UK).

Any info, help, advise would be fabulous.
Thank You!!
Old Nov 6th 2010, 2:49 am
Just Joined

Alexor has a brilliant futureAlexor has a brilliant futureAlexor has a brilliant futureAlexor has a brilliant futureAlexor has a brilliant futureAlexor has a brilliant futureAlexor has a brilliant future
Default Re: Looking to spend 6/7 months in Thailand from Dec 2010

You will have to get yourself an Non-Immigration 'O' visa. You will have to leave the country every 3 months on a "Visa Run". If you find work when you are here, you can apply for a work permit.

Thailand is not for everyone. If you must have everything run smoothly, then plan for disappointment
Old Nov 7th 2010, 2:07 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think it will be easy for you to get the visa you want but why not apply for a tourist visa in the UK, go as a tourist, mix with people whereever you end up and just see what happens.

I only know of Phuket and would ditto Alexor's statement "If you must have everything run smoothly, then plan for disappointment" Also be prepared for regular powercuts, flooding, abysmal driving standards (a lot of locals don't bother getting a license) and, outside of hotels, majority of locals do not speak English - so better start brushing up on Thai.

On the other hand, there's great beaches, scenery and the food is just fab. Enjoy while you're young
Old Nov 7th 2010, 4:38 am

Gemma setter is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MonkeyDuck
Hey,

I've just turned 30 and decided to take a career break after recovering from a serious car accident, I'm looking to spend 6/7 months in Thailand from December.

I was thinking of doing some volunteering work and maybe re-training in holistic therapies but have (quite) a few questions if anyone could help?

1) Does anyone have any experience or contacts with voluntary organisations who dont charge a fortune (organisations like realgap are far too expensive and aimed more at younger college/uni leavers)?

2) What is the best place for volunteering? I would like to work with children so I guess teaching English would be the best option? Also, I want to be near the sea, maybe Phuket or or one of the islands, is this possible if volunteering?

3) Has anyone learnt Thai masssage, reflexology, aromatheraphy, yoga, reiki etc in Thailand? I would really like to re-train whilst there but cannot seem to find a decent place to study in the south, the only courses I have seen which seem reasonable are in Chaing Mai but I would prefer to be somewhere more exotic.

4) Also, I would like to spend a few weeks in a health retreat learning yoga, meditation etc when I arrive but dont want to spend a fortune, I have seen some of the spa's in Phuket and they are circa £800+ a week - I really cannot afford that, does anyone know of a more affordable place, preferably in the south/ one of the islands.

5) Can anyone advise me on the best visa, should I sort it out before leaving the UK or see how things go when I get there.

6) Do you think theres enough for me to do for 7 months, will I get bored?

7) How easy/difficult is it to find long term/ permanent work in Thailand, I am a qualified accountant and have completed ACCA currently working for a big4 firm in the Midlands (UK).

Any info, help, advise would be fabulous.
Thank You!!
getting a work permit is essential, and not easy.
Phuket might be the best place to start as there are many expats here, and it is probably more to Western Standards than many poorer regions.
But get some advice from The Thai Embassy
and I would put your question into
www.thaivsa.com
where you should look anyway as it is a mine of info.
Good luck.
Old Nov 11th 2010, 7:21 am

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alexor
You will have to get yourself an Non-Immigration 'O' visa. You will have to leave the country every 3 months on a "Visa Run". If you find work when you are here, you can apply for a work permit.

Thailand is not for everyone. If you must have everything run smoothly, then plan for disappointment
You can extend the three months of your Non-O for a further sixty days without leaving Thailand at your local immigration office to you address. You can do this regardless of whether it's a single entry or one year multiple entry. Price 1900 baht. Means you only have to leave evry five months.
If you want to get a work permit you will probably still have to leave the country to apply for a Non-B ( Laos or Malaysia ) which you will need to work legally. Having said that , mant people work ilegally . As they say here, it's up to you.
Old Nov 11th 2010, 7:29 am

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bakedbean
I don't think it will be easy for you to get the visa you want but why not apply for a tourist visa in the UK, go as a tourist, mix with people whereever you end up and just see what happens.

I only know of Phuket and would ditto Alexor's statement "If you must have everything run smoothly, then plan for disappointment" Also be prepared for regular powercuts, flooding, abysmal driving standards (a lot of locals don't bother getting a license) and, outside of hotels, majority of locals do not speak English - so better start brushing up on Thai.

On the other hand, there's great beaches, scenery and the food is just fab. Enjoy while you're young
Don't know where you live on the UK but for some years now the Thai consulate in Hull has been a soft touch for visas and they will issue you a one year multiple entry Non-O no questions asked pretty much. Don't bother with London unless you are married or have the proper paperwork. If you just get a tourist visa, get a double entry just before you go. It's valid for THREE months. You get SIXTY days on arrival. Extend for 30 days at any immigration office ( 1900baht) . Cross any border the day before the THREE months visa validity expires and when you come back to Thailand you will have another 60 days which you can then extend for a further 30 days at any local immigration ( 1900 baht ). That will give you nearly six months.
Old Nov 11th 2010, 8:49 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Good advice Nonthaburi
Old Nov 15th 2010, 4:28 am

Originally Posted by bakedbean
Good advice Nonthaburi
Thankyou.
Old Nov 15th 2010, 7:57 am

oh is that wine glass for me? Well, thank you young man. Cheers!
Old Nov 21st 2010, 11:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by MonkeyDuck
Hey,
Thank You!!
I live in Ubonratchathani, with my Thai Wife, (Till Feb, when we go back to UK)
Will be renting our house out. My Wife was hospital Administrator till she reached retirement at 50, a few years back. Is now retraining to do Massage therapy in the UK, there are sevral places teaching massage in this City, Sweet Green being one, that I know of, there are others, Look at massage, on www.weloveubon regards Don (aged 80)