Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Thailand
Reload this Page >

Looking to relocate to S.E.A

Looking to relocate to S.E.A

Old May 21st 2013, 6:36 pm
Just Joined

bradqwer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Looking to relocate to S.E.A

Hiya guys new user please be gentle and if I overstep any rules point them out and I wont do that again.

Ok Im a young lad 33 years old looking to spend half my time in asia be it Thailand or else where but my first stop will be Thailand, My budget for the first 3 - 6 months of my stay will be £5k this is for Room/apartment - Drink - Women - food and sight seeing.

Im a poker player and can make money through that online if need be what I want is some one who has made the move and what costs should I think about a break down would be good.
Old May 22nd 2013, 5:05 am
Forum Regular

Quackers is just really niceQuackers is just really niceQuackers is just really niceQuackers is just really niceQuackers is just really niceQuackers is just really niceQuackers is just really niceQuackers is just really nice
Default Re: Looking to relocate to S.E.A

Originally Posted by bradqwer
Hiya guys new user please be gentle and if I overstep any rules point them out and I wont do that again.

Ok Im a young lad 33 years old looking to spend half my time in asia be it Thailand or else where but my first stop will be Thailand, My budget for the first 3 - 6 months of my stay will be £5k this is for Room/apartment - Drink - Women - food and sight seeing.

Im a poker player and can make money through that online if need be what I want is some one who has made the move and what costs should I think about a break down would be good.
I used to do 6 month work and then 6 month break in Bangkok and found myself spending approx 200K baht per month (about 4K GBP)

I now have a house in Hua Hin and spend approx 50K baht per month (about 1K GBP)

Bangkok is a party place so I found it hard to stay home but if you spend a lot of time in your room 'playing poker' then you may get by on 100K/month
Old May 22nd 2013, 8:23 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Brad and welcome to the forum What kind of visa will you be on? Are you working there?
Old May 22nd 2013, 8:57 am
Just Joined

It will just be the visa I get on entry so I will have to do a border run I think, 4k a month sounds way expensive im not looking to party 24/7 Im not after a hig end place to stay dont mind doing 3/6 month contracts for say a studio or one bedroom places I read blogs where people are living on 50kbhat a month which to me sounds a decent price tho if we can get cheaper Im in
Old May 22nd 2013, 9:45 am
Forum Regular

Quackers is just really niceQuackers is just really niceQuackers is just really niceQuackers is just really niceQuackers is just really niceQuackers is just really niceQuackers is just really niceQuackers is just really nice

It will just be the visa I get on entry so I will have to do a border run I think, 4k a month sounds way expensive im not looking to party 24/7 Im not after a hig end place to stay dont mind doing 3/6 month contracts for say a studio or one bedroom places I read blogs where people are living on 50kbhat a month which to me sounds a decent price tho if we can get cheaper Im in
The cheapest place to live would be Pattaya. I think you could get a decent studio for 6/7K there (The Thais tend to spend 2/3K).
If you eat Thai street food then it will save a lot. Pattaya working girls are cheaper too.

It's possible to live in Bangkok for 50K/month if you live normal ie. just go out at weekends and date office girls (although some do like to go to nice restaurants etc).
Old May 22nd 2013, 10:07 am
Forum Regular

Visa exemption on arrival will give you 30 days and overland border runs give 15 days (30 days for international flight runs)

You can apply at Thai Consulate in the UK (post or person) for a double/triple entry tourist visa which give 60 days each entry/exit (valid for 6 months).

http://www.thaiconsul-uk.com/downloads-and-visas.aspx
Old May 22nd 2013, 12:51 pm
Just Joined

ty guys how does Pattya compare say to cent BKK

Lets compare Rent - girls - food - drink and transport
Old May 22nd 2013, 8:14 pm

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Quackers
The cheapest place to live would be Pattaya. I think you could get a decent studio for 6/7K there (The Thais tend to spend 2/3K).
If you eat Thai street food then it will save a lot. Pattaya working girls are cheaper too.

It's possible to live in Bangkok for 50K/month if you live normal ie. just go out at weekends and date office girls (although some do like to go to nice restaurants etc).
if you don't mind living in the suburbs you could get a 2 bedroom house for 3-6k a month in BKK.
Old May 23rd 2013, 4:07 am
Forum Regular

ty guys how does Pattya compare say to cent BKK

Lets compare Rent - girls - food - drink and transport
Rent: P-6K to B-10K month
Girls: P-1K to B-2K night
Food: P-100B to B-200B meal
Drink: P-80B to B-120B bottle
Transport: P-10B to B-50B per trip

These are just a rough guide on average prices in a bar and near the bar areas .....there are always special deals to be had to save a few bahts and always extra cost for special services

Last edited by Quackers; May 23rd 2013 at 4:15 am.
Old May 23rd 2013, 4:09 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by nonthaburi
if you don't mind living in the suburbs you could get a 2 bedroom house for 3-6k a month in BKK.
I don't think Nonthaburi would suit a young SINGLE lad (who can't speak Thai) looking for beer & girls & fun
Old May 23rd 2013, 8:27 am

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

You say that , but in many ways not staying in the city would be a lot more suitable . The first reason is that if you are there in the thick of it there is a tendency to get sucked in to the whole world of false mirrors that BKK can be and you can lose sight of what is real and what isn't . Might be going a bit deep there but I'm sure you know what I mean . It's good to be somewhere normal to have a bit of a reality check . The novelty of staying 5 minutes from a red light district soon wears off too .
Another thing that amazes me is how much people are prepared to pay for so little . I remember when I was younger moving around in SE London paying for a room by the week . 75 a week in Bermondsey , 60 a week in Peckham , 50 in Deptford . The idea of doing all that again in Thailand when you can get a whole house for the same money I find bizarre . Especially when you can get a nice house out in suburbs away from everything .
I would also suggest that a young single lad would ultimately have better fun with a better quality of girl out of town a bit . Plenty of young single girls around and not speaking Thai wouldn't matter that much either . Get on the net and see what's out there. I knew plenty of young guys who lived out of the centre and what they all said was that it was good to have the option to go into town if they wanted but nice to be able to take it or leave it .

I expect that the OP will not listen to any of the above though and follow the well-trodden path.

It does get boring very quickly though.
Old May 23rd 2013, 9:08 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by nonthaburi
You say that , but in many ways not staying in the city would be a lot more suitable . The first reason is that if you are there in the thick of it there is a tendency to get sucked in to the whole world of false mirrors that BKK can be and you can lose sight of what is real and what isn't . Might be going a bit deep there but I'm sure you know what I mean . It's good to be somewhere normal to have a bit of a reality check . The novelty of staying 5 minutes from a red light district soon wears off too .
Another thing that amazes me is how much people are prepared to pay for so little . I remember when I was younger moving around in SE London paying for a room by the week . 75 a week in Bermondsey , 60 a week in Peckham , 50 in Deptford . The idea of doing all that again in Thailand when you can get a whole house for the same money I find bizarre . Especially when you can get a nice house out in suburbs away from everything .
I would also suggest that a young single lad would ultimately have better fun with a better quality of girl out of town a bit . Plenty of young single girls around and not speaking Thai wouldn't matter that much either . Get on the net and see what's out there. I knew plenty of young guys who lived out of the centre and what they all said was that it was good to have the option to go into town if they wanted but nice to be able to take it or leave it .

I expect that the OP will not listen to any of the above though and follow the well-trodden path.

It does get boring very quickly though.
I have a friend who lives (and works) in Nonthaburi and he always used to take the long expensive taxi on a Friday night to the Sukhumvit area. He is married now with a kid, house, car & new curtains. I think this is the natural 'progression' for people working in Thailand.

I can't see a 'fresh' lad on a 3 month fun trip getting much out of staying away from the wild area. OK if your living there and looking for a girl to settle down with but in my opinion it would be 3 months wasted (for a young newbie).

I personally couldn't live in BKK suburbia and chose Hua Hin suburbia
Old May 23rd 2013, 9:16 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

In case my position changes in the future, how much would a guy cost then? Same price in Pattaya or BKK? What about a Western guy? Can I rent one of those too? Is it different prices for different sizes? Maybe I can find a George Clooney lookalike, or Pierce Brosnan maybe, that would be nice. What do you think?
Old May 23rd 2013, 9:44 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by bakedbean
In case my position changes in the future, how much would a guy cost then? Same price in Pattaya or BKK? What about a Western guy? Can I rent one of those too? Is it different prices for different sizes? Maybe I can find a George Clooney lookalike, or Pierce Brosnan maybe, that would be nice. What do you think?
Plenty of Guys for rent too .... but for some unknown reason they have long hair and wear dresses
Old May 23rd 2013, 9:53 am
Just Joined

TY for the advice guys, whats phukket like as thats more of a beach right or am I getting confused?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.