British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Thailand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/thailand-154/)
-   -   How to get a death certificate in Thailand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/thailand-154/how-get-death-certificate-thailand-904033/)

Barryennis Oct 1st 2017 3:56 pm

How to get a death certificate in Thailand

My Dad has just has just passed away in Thailand.

For the last month of so he has been treated for lung cancer in a hospital without any health insurance.

I've been told by the hospital that he had incurred a £13k medical bill which I am unable to pay.

I've been told that if I enter the country I will be liable for the bill and may be arrested unless I pay it?!

My lawyers have advised me not to go.

I am unable to sort out any of the affairs in the UK or Thailand until I get a death certificate but I have absolutely no idea how to get one?

The family have decided to not bring the body back to the UK but I am being told that until the body is 'released a death certificate cannot be issued.

Does anyone have any advice or experience with this?

The consulate and embassy out there haven't been any use sadly.

Any light anyone can shed on this is massively appreciated.

Thanks

Thairetired2016 Oct 2nd 2017 3:38 am

Re: How to get a death certificate in Thailand

Originally Posted by Barryennis (Post 12351040)
My Dad has just has just passed away in Thailand.

For the last month of so he has been treated for lung cancer in a hospital without any health insurance.

I've been told by the hospital that he had incurred a £13k medical bill which I am unable to pay.

I've been told that if I enter the country I will be liable for the bill and may be arrested unless I pay it?!

My lawyers have advised me not to go.

I am unable to sort out any of the affairs in the UK or Thailand until I get a death certificate but I have absolutely no idea how to get one?

The family have decided to not bring the body back to the UK but I am being told that until the body is 'released a death certificate cannot be issued.

Does anyone have any advice or experience with this?

The consulate and embassy out there haven't been any use sadly.

Any light anyone can shed on this is massively appreciated.

Thanks

From what I experienced in my circle of friends: A death certificate gets issued by the hospital where your father died. In case of death of a foreign national the embassy gets notified. If there is no family locally, the embassy provides assistance. While the Brit. embassy in Bkk does not have a great reputation, they are not too bad helping out in cases like yours. I assume your Father was British. They will of course not help paying the bills. Hospital bills are negotiable but you got to be there.
Try to sign up on thaivisa forum. This is a forum with more activity on question about Thai issues.