Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Thailand
Reload this Page >

Health Insurance for Retirees

Health Insurance for Retirees

Old Jul 13th 2016, 7:37 am
Forum Regular

FreddyBee is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Health Insurance for Retirees

I am thinking about retiring to live in Thailand next year. I will have enough income to meet the retirement visa requirements, and am the right age, but I don't know how much health insurance is likely to cost me. I have seen figures ranging from £230 a month to £600! Can anyone give me any pointers or personal experience? Thanks.
Old Oct 23rd 2016, 11:13 am
Just Joined

TommyUK69 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Health Insurance for Retirees

Many of my colleges self insure as so many stories about insurance companies not paying out due to issues of past conditions. Just be aware.
AXA seems to be a good one but make sure the cover is good one as so many here cover for 3 mil Baht and that could get eaten up in a couple of weeks. The policy I have covers 48 mil and is expensive.
Old Nov 26th 2016, 7:39 am
Forum Regular

brownknees is just really nicebrownknees is just really nicebrownknees is just really nicebrownknees is just really nicebrownknees is just really nicebrownknees is just really nicebrownknees is just really nicebrownknees is just really nice

Yes its very expensive!!I cannot afford it so always have enough money for an air ticket if something serious comes up.Minor stuff you can use a gov hospital and they are reasonable ,had phneumonia two months ago and two visits and medication was only 15 pounds!!Good service too.Make sure you have good car insurance as well!!
Old Dec 10th 2016, 7:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Thairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond repute

From experience I can tell you that it will be very difficult to find an insurer once you are over 65. If you find one, they will look for a flaw to stick you with a precondition. My husband jumped through hoops to provide documentation. In the end it was still 'no'.
One of the doctors he had to see for a medical told him not to waste his money with a Thai insurance as they will never pay. Try to find insurance in U.K. or an internationally operating company/broker.
If you are under 65 there is a choice. Check out AXA.