Reload this Page >

help with working and living in thailand

help with working and living in thailand

Old Apr 3rd 2015, 11:41 am
Just Joined

gsul10 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default help with working and living in thailand

Hello,

I'm married to a Thai citizen and we have a son together, unfortunately things have not worked out and she has moved back to Thailand with my son.

My UK company have given me the green light to work remotely for them out in Thailand which is great news but I have read conflicting information on the best way to secure a visa to live out there.

From what I have read so far it seems that I would not be able to obtain a work permit to live out there if working remotely for my UK company. It looks as though my best bet is to apply for a non immigrant o marriage visa to get out there. Is this correct?

would I be eligible to pay uk taxes or thai tax? and should i declare my work to the Thai authorities.

Any help or advice would be much appreciated. Thanks
Old May 28th 2015, 8:21 am
Just Joined

dbj_brennan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: help with working and living in thailand

Originally Posted by gsul10
Hello,

I'm married to a Thai citizen and we have a son together, unfortunately things have not worked out and she has moved back to Thailand with my son.

My UK company have given me the green light to work remotely for them out in Thailand which is great news but I have read conflicting information on the best way to secure a visa to live out there.

From what I have read so far it seems that I would not be able to obtain a work permit to live out there if working remotely for my UK company. It looks as though my best bet is to apply for a non immigrant o marriage visa to get out there. Is this correct?

would I be eligible to pay uk taxes or thai tax? and should i declare my work to the Thai authorities.

Any help or advice would be much appreciated. Thanks
I'm afraid you'll only get a work permit if working for a company registered in Thailand, not your company in the UK.

Assuming that you are under 50, the best visa you'll get is a non-immigrant O on the basis of having a Thai child. This visa is valid for three month visits, and does not allow working.

The other option is a Thailand Elite visa, valid for 5 years and allows one year at each entry, extendible for further years in-country until the 5 years is up. Working is also not allowed, and the cost for the visa is 500,000 Baht. Details are here: Thailand Elite

If you are caught working without a work permit, you could face deportation and blacklisting, so keep it quiet if you are one of the many 'digital nomads' working while living in Thailand without work permits.

You will pay tax in the UK if your income derives from there.
Old May 29th 2015, 7:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

My observation has been that Thais do not flourish away from their Homeland. Any that I have met who came to UK or travelled to the ME could not wait to get back to the Land of Smiles,

Last edited by scot47; May 29th 2015 at 7:06 pm.
Old Jun 1st 2015, 7:34 am
Just Joined

dbj_brennan is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by scot47
My observation has been that Thais do not flourish away from their Homeland. Any that I have met who came to UK or travelled to the ME could not wait to get back to the Land of Smiles,
Your above comment has nothing to do with the topic of this post.
Old Jun 1st 2015, 2:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

You want me to unsay it ?
Old Jun 3rd 2015, 4:12 am

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

Just to clarify about the visa a bit. You can get a three month Non-O, but you can also get a one year multi-entry from the UK too. Whether you get the one year or the single entry, you will still only get three months on arrival, but each 90 days is extendable at your local immigration for a further 60 which means you would only have to leave the country every 5 months or so.
Also, if you have 400,000 in a Thai bank a couple of months before you apply, you can get a one year extension on the initial three months. The best things to do is to go to your local immigration office as soon as you arrive and find out exactly what they need from you as it may vary from office to office. Something to bear in mind though, is that whenever you do an extension, your child must be there with you as some kind of proof that your reasons are legit. So if your contact with the ex and child is poor, this may be a problem.

PM me if you want any more information.
Old Jul 3rd 2015, 3:38 pm
Just Joined

wanderlustruss is an unknown quantity at this point

That's true. It'll be hard to obtain a work permit if you're working remotely as a freelancer. Best to set up your own business or be employed under a company to obtain one, and perhaps do the freelance work in a part time basis.
Old Dec 14th 2015, 6:25 am
Just Joined

GabrielBr is an unknown quantity at this point

If you are just working remotely, why can't you just have a tourist visa? All the "digital nomads" and kids who run online businesses and travel around do this, pretty sure they are just on a tourist visa... am I missing something? You would have to do visa runs every three months, but I think there is a new 6 month visa now for tourists?
Old Nov 8th 2016, 8:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
You want me to unsay it ?