Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Thailand
Reload this Page >

First time travellers to Thailand

First time travellers to Thailand

Old Nov 21st 2001, 1:40 pm
Just Joined

Leon is an unknown quantity at this point

Rather than spend Christmas in Tenerife, my friend and I have taken a bit of a gamble and booked a flight to Bangkok. This is the first time out of Europe for either of us and I've only heard of Phuket as a tourist resort.

We've not sorted out any accomadation as we don't want to be restricted to a certain hotel/area, the theory being that is should be easy to sort out a room when we get to Thailand. We we arriving on boxing day and will be staying over Christmas and well into January,so if anyone has any tips on finding cheap accomadation once your in Thailand I'd be grateful.

I've heard that Thailand has a very low cost of living, and that £30 (or $50) is plenty to spend each day including eating, drinking (plenty)...is this about right?

I'd appreciate any tips on which resort(s) you've visited and have good nightlife and any other general info on what we should expect.

Thanks
Leon
Old Nov 21st 2001, 5:47 pm
Eric Constantinidis

Try this hotel broker I always book my hotels there

http://www.hotels.chiangmai-online.com

eric

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Nov 23rd 2001, 6:07 am
Gard Karlsen

Hi

I went to Thailand a few years back and I visited Bangkok, Koh Samui and Phuket. I
have posted a travelogue and some photos from the trip on my homepage. Maybe you can
get some tips from this page. The address is http://donar.netpower.no/~ghk/

Have a great trip to Thailand

Regards Gard Karlsen [email protected]

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Nov 23rd 2001, 11:20 am
Steve McMonagle

Christmas & New Year are the peak of peak season in all areas of Thailand but Pattaya
has so much accomodation at all prices that you will be able to get good deals even
at this time.

Pattaya is just over two hours by taxi from BKK airport, as it's your first visit
don't try to get there by bus get a Thai Airways Limousine at about £30, you'll be
knackered after the flight anyway.

Pattaya is very much a Disneyland for adults and mixed couples sometimes find it a
bit too raunchy, assuming you and your friend are both male, you can have a great
holiday. Pattaya is not as nice for scenery and beach quality as Phuket but is much
cheaper and doesn't require an internal flight. Recommended budget hotels are the two
Flipper Lodges one in Soi 8 the other in Soi 7 (Soi = street) the one in Soi 7 has
been recently refurbished.

On the opposite side of the Gulf of Thailand is the Hua Hin and Cha Am area,
beautiful beaches and very quiet, some say absolutely dead, but I love it, and it is
very cheap. You should find budget rooms in both towns even at Christmas. It is
slightly further from BKK than Pattaya about 3 hours by taxi.

Phuket is a 1 hour internal flight the islands there are really beautiful and you
must go if you like snorkelling, sailing or even sea canoeing. However it is much
more expensive than Pattaya and I am sure you will not get cheap accomodation over
Christmas.

Regarding a budget of £30 per day you should be able to have a good time as long as
you don't spend too much on girls otherwise the sky's the limit and many newbies go
beserk. I have met people who have spent a three week budget in five days.

All the best and have a great holiday

Stevoh.

>
    >

Old Nov 25th 2001, 5:56 pm
Rene Hasekamp

Hello,

My website is directed to first time visitors to Thailand. Maybe many of your
questions are answered there. I always book with
http://www.asiatravel.com/thiland.html

Hope this helps Rene Hasekamp

http://www.hasekamp.net

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Nov 29th 2001, 11:01 am
Just Joined

Leon is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for all your constructive comments/links - they have been appreciated.

Regards
Leon