British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Thailand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/thailand-154/)
-   -   Condo buying in Thailand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/thailand-154/condo-buying-thailand-760311/)

Pete2012 Jun 1st 2012 7:43 am

Condo buying in Thailand

Newbie member here, hello everybody !:thumbup:

I've read a bunch of threads on here since yesterday and as I understand it so far, we (UK citizens) can legally buy a Freehold Condo in Thailand under the current laws, so long as 49% or less of the total unit is foreign owned - am I right ? We'd be looking at a modern 2 bed condo.

bakedbean Jun 2nd 2012 8:13 am

Re: Condo buying in Thailand

Hi Pete, just to say welcome to the forum. I used to live in Thailand but must admit I'm a bit fuzzy on condo buying. You might get some info on one of the many property websites. Siam Real Estate is one of the more intelligent property agents... just do a google and you'll find it.

Pete2012 Jun 2nd 2012 11:33 am

Thanks very much.

mangoCondo Jul 17th 2012 8:15 am

Yep Pete, you are 100% right.
You can buy a condo provided the building has less than 49% foreign owners.

You would need cash though or have a mortgage arranged in your home country.
Getting one here can be tricky and you would need a work permit and some history and in addition some banks won't count 100% of your salary towards the loan amount and ask for a hefty deposit.

britishbull Oct 7th 2012 1:06 pm

You need proof that the money has come from abroad into Thailand.

I think the Bangkok Bank in Singapore were offering mortgages on Thai condos for foreigners a while back?

For all it apparent modernity it is still the third world and only spend what you can afford to lose

The good bit is that the new title deed can be issued in a day or so with the help of an embassy recommended lawyer, so you can buy or sell very quickly.

yabadabadoo2012 Nov 10th 2012 3:15 am

Originally Posted by britishbull (Post 10318155)
You need proof that the money has come from abroad into Thailand.

I think the Bangkok Bank in Singapore were offering mortgages on Thai condos for foreigners a while back?

For all it apparent modernity it is still the third world and only spend what you can afford to lose

The good bit is that the new title deed can be issued in a day or so with the help of an embassy recommended lawyer, so you can buy or sell very quickly.

I think they advise for you to state what the funds are for when tranferring funds to Thailand...(property purchase ).. to buy a "secondhand " condo can go in your name as long as the majority are Thai ownwed...i'm not to sure about "new builds"..it may have to go into a company name (which you will have to pay to for) but i think you can then after some years change this into your own name..although at the land office your name will be written in Thai. PLEASE NOTE..i am not 100% about this so best check with a lawyer or call one of the bigger companies.

brix13 Nov 3rd 2013 6:38 am

the mpost important is to buy value, there are a lot of great second hand condos for sale at a reasonable price

george0 Nov 11th 2013 6:05 pm

Originally Posted by brix13 (Post 10974427)
the mpost important is to buy value, there are a lot of great second hand condos for sale at a reasonable price

what would you call a reasonable price/?

brix13 Dec 3rd 2013 3:49 pm

reasonable price in bangkok for 2nd hand in top location is THB 50-70,000 per sqm. Check this article on winvasia website: http://www.winvasia.com/owning-property-in-thailand/

jayletz Jan 12th 2014 9:27 am

Originally Posted by Pete2012 (Post 10094240)
Newbie member here, hello everybody !:thumbup:

I've read a bunch of threads on here since yesterday and as I understand it so far, we (UK citizens) can legally buy a Freehold Condo in Thailand under the current laws, so long as 49% or less of the total unit is foreign owned - am I right ? We'd be looking at a modern 2 bed condo.

Hi, did you end up buying a condo in Thailand? if so did everything go ok?
I am also thinking of buying something but a little dubious.

Thanks.

Imanomad Feb 20th 2014 9:21 pm

Personally, I would just rent a condo. Far less hassle than buying. If you take your time and shop around, you can find fully furnished condos for very little rent with aircon and water heater.

So why tie up capital?

Thailand Feb 24th 2014 9:24 am

Re: Condo buying in Thailand HELP!!

Hi everyone!

I'm new here and COMPLETELY stuck! I'm wanting to buy a studio in Bang Saray/Pattay and going through an agency called Knight Knox? Everything so far seems to be great! only i just wanted to make sure they're legit! - anyone know anything good/bad about this company? and any other good estate agencies to go through? - any advice at all would be much appreciated!!!!

Thanks xx