Chiang Mai or Phuket

Old Nov 5th 2013, 9:13 am
Forum Regular

julian1968 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Chiang Mai or Phuket

Hello

I am new to the Thailand forum but have been in the Malayisa forum for a good while now.

I was looking at a move to Penang but am now considering either Chiang Mai or Phuket.

I will be running an onlibe business outside of Asia while there and so decent Internet is a must. From reading I get mixed views about which destination is best and I think some say Phuket isnt as good as Chiang Mai, possibly by younger people who want to party a lot. For me, it will be myself and my wife and we are happy with a slower pace.

Phuket seems to offer a beach lifestyle while Chiang Mai offers the mountains and slightly cooler but i would like some more information please.

Thanks
Old Nov 5th 2013, 10:48 am
Vendor

Dan_W9 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Chiang Mai or Phuket

Hi Julian,

I spent a month in Chiang Mai and loved it! There was so much to do and its all done at a much slower, quieter pace than a lot of Thailand. It's a tranquil kinda place and plenty of smiley locals.

I was in Phuket for 2 weeks and there are A LOT of tourists there, it was like Benidorm! But it does offer the beach, bars and fantastic surrounding islands and so if I had to chose between the two, it would be Phuket.

Obviously I know living there will be different, but I think it does all come down to what kind of lifestyle you are wanting.

All the best!
Old Nov 5th 2013, 12:01 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks dan. I guess the worst thing could be to go to Phuket first and then try Chiang Mai
Old Nov 5th 2013, 1:42 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Hi again Julian. I also used to live in Phuket (before Penang). Cannot speak for Chiang Mai but certainly in Phuket during wet season (May to October-ish) you will typically have power cuts or brownouts 2 to 3 times a week, sometimes all day. So in other words, you would have NO internet for much of,the time. There isn't the same infrastructure as Penang I'm afraid. If you like beaches, beautiful scenery, great Thai food....you will love it. But infrastructure-wise...mmmm. Great for holidays but anything else (IMHO) ....ehrm.....

Maybe check out CHiang Mai or Bangkok ? Be sure to ask about power cuts. There's not much you can do during power cuts and I speak from bitter experience.
Old Nov 5th 2013, 1:59 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Baked Bean. I am getting good reports on Chiang Mai on the infrastructure etc and I guess to experience both I could go to Phuket for maybe a couple of months out of the wet season.

I would still be visiting Georgetown as my friends are still there and it will be a handy hop for the visa runs on both sides
Old Nov 5th 2013, 4:38 pm

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

For your needs I would say CM . Phuket does have things to offer but it is very touristy ( as is CM in many ways ) and that is what it is . CM has a lot more to offer , probably more family orientated , better VFM and a lot friendlier .
Old Nov 5th 2013, 10:33 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with this.

Disclosure: We (OK, my wife) own a small home in Hang Dong where we spend a month or so a year. I love the city and the surrounding areas. Have visited Phuket but wouldn't want to live there.

Regards, JEff
Originally Posted by nonthaburi
For your needs I would say CM . Phuket does have things to offer but it is very touristy ( as is CM in many ways ) and that is what it is . CM has a lot more to offer , probably more family orientated , better VFM and a lot friendlier .
Old Nov 6th 2013, 2:22 am

Catchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond repute

Another vote for Chiang Mai, compared to Phuket.

But there are so many other coastal places you could choose other than Phuket. Krabi is my favorite city in Thailand (or was 7 years ago).
Old Nov 6th 2013, 2:38 am

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Catchafire
Another vote for Chiang Mai, compared to Phuket.

But there are so many other coastal places you could choose other than Phuket. Krabi is my favorite city in Thailand (or was 7 years ago).
Lovely place Krabi . Spent some great family holidays there and there are some great beaches to explore up and down the coast from Ao Nang .
Old Nov 7th 2013, 9:23 am
Forum Regular

Thanks all for the help. You are all confirming what others have said really, Chiang Mai to live and Phuket to visit.
Old Dec 9th 2013, 9:22 am
Just Joined

harvie316 is an unknown quantity at this point

what do you want in a city first of all, what do you like/dislike?
Old Dec 9th 2013, 9:42 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by harvie316
what do you want in a city first of all, what do you like/dislike?
Hi Harvie

From what I have read about Chiang Mai it seems an easier going city in terms of peoples attitudes, friendlier locals. There is a number of web based businesses being run by ex pats which is an area I work in and the location (close to mountains) offers a cooler evening by a few degrees.

I don't want the hustle and bustle of a large city (Bk)

Other people recommened it also.

Guess you don't know until you try it.