Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Thailand
Reload this Page >

Book - Escape M K Elliott set in Thailand

Book - Escape M K Elliott set in Thailand

Old May 7th 2011, 2:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute
Default Book - Escape M K Elliott set in Thailand

Just thought all of you out there that live in Thailand or want to move there might be interested in this new book set in Koh Tao. It is a fictional romance but really sets the scene for this area.
Old May 15th 2011, 5:46 am

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Book - Escape M K Elliott set in Thailand

On the subject of books written in or set in Thailand I recently came across what is IMO the best Thailand centric novel I have ever read. It is called " Letters From Thailand " and it was written in 1969 ( I think ) by a then 21 year old Chulalongkorn University female student under the name Botan. It was awarded the SEATO prize for literature.
It takes the form of letters being sent back to China from Thailand by a young chinese immigrant who emigrates to Thailand at the end of WW2. He goes on the marry, have a family, make a business etc and it's set over about twenty years or so.
What strikes me most about the book is how little has changed regarding the obversations the main character makes about the Thais and how they live. And this was written 40 years ago. He complains about the corruption, gambling, drinking , womanising , laziness etc that I'm sure anyone who has spent any time in Thailand would recognise some of these traits.
It's also a good insight into the Chinese immigrant experience into urban Thailand . How well people integrate etc.
I would recommend it to anyone.

What other books do people think are good that are based around THailand ?