Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Thailand
Reload this Page >

Bangkok Skytrain from Airport

Bangkok Skytrain from Airport

Old Jan 17th 2012, 2:17 pm
Forum Regular

Jackwow is a name known to allJackwow is a name known to allJackwow is a name known to allJackwow is a name known to allJackwow is a name known to allJackwow is a name known to allJackwow is a name known to allJackwow is a name known to allJackwow is a name known to allJackwow is a name known to allJackwow is a name known to all
Default Re: Bangkok Skytrain from Airport

Originally Posted by Familyonthemove
....If you try to avoid the 50 THB charge by nipping up to arrivals and catching a taxi that has just dropped off a passenger, then you can save 50 THB on the airport fee. But .... as you've taken a taxi from an unnofficial location, he may try to ask for an unnoffical (off the meter) fee ... usually 500 THB if you look like a rich 'falang'.
It's departures, i.e., where people departing Bangkok get dropped off by their taxi.
Old Jan 17th 2012, 11:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Familyonthemove
Airport rail link is 45 Baht per person (non Express service, only 10 minutes slower than the 90 Baht Express) then about 25 Banht on the Skytrain depending on destination. But ... it your destination is not on the Skytrain (or MRT - Underground Metro) route, then you'll still need a taxi, so may as well get one from the Airport. Skytrain/MRT not good if you have luggage.
And if you are like me, who just turns up to the Airport link, then it can be as quick on the slow train because of the staggered timetable - you either sit on the platform for 10-15 minutes waiting for the Express or you get on the slow one, they both arrive at the same time.

I've been up to BKK around 10 times in the last year from Singapore and always at weekends, with minimal luggage, and normally arriving 6/7/8pm. I stay at the Intercontinental or the Siam Kempinski - for me the airport train is a no brainer. Fast train and Skytrain mean I can be at hotel in 30 mins from airport for a journey that has taken me 2 hours+ before with a taxi and bad traffic.
Old Jan 18th 2012, 1:44 am
Just Joined

Familyonthemove is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jackwow
It's departures, i.e., where people departing Bangkok get dropped off by their taxi.
Doh! Yes .... you are right, up to departures. But last time I tried this the police were stopping the taxis from waiting for passengers, so now I either use the train or head down and pay the 50 THB
Old Jan 18th 2012, 3:59 am

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sr71
And if you are like me, who just turns up to the Airport link, then it can be as quick on the slow train because of the staggered timetable - you either sit on the platform for 10-15 minutes waiting for the Express or you get on the slow one, they both arrive at the same time.

I've been up to BKK around 10 times in the last year from Singapore and always at weekends, with minimal luggage, and normally arriving 6/7/8pm. I stay at the Intercontinental or the Siam Kempinski - for me the airport train is a no brainer. Fast train and Skytrain mean I can be at hotel in 30 mins from airport for a journey that has taken me 2 hours+ before with a taxi and bad traffic.
like someone else said , it's good if you are on your own with not much luggage going to the downtown area. BKK is a big city though.
Old Jan 29th 2012, 10:02 am
BE Enthusiast

MonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jackwow
I never understand these comments! What scam? You go to the official taxi rank outside arrivals and get a ligit taxi. Baht 50 plus the meter plus tolls, same as it was at Don Muang. Never been scammed and I've arrived in Bkk dozens of times.
Apologies for the late reply Mr Jack, I only just saw your comment.

My comment is from living here for the past four years and having to catch flights every month. You describe the way it should operate, granted. However, the scam starts when you que up to the desk where the guy asks you where you're going and writes out the ticket. I've then experienced that he will ask for a flat fee, which you pay to him, who then shares it with the taxi driver and maybe others. Of course, all wrong, and a friend of mine paid 1000baht for her taxi ride to Nana. It all depends on how 'fresh' you might be or whether they stand their chances. Hence why I just go to Departures, like sooooooo many others (just watch and see), and 95% of the time they're happy to just put on the metre. Not that I haven't been asked for a flat fee (500baht) there too, but there's a line of taxis all waiting for your custom.... :-)
Old Feb 2nd 2012, 3:48 am

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

very true, if you don't like what one taxi guy says , just get out and go to the next one. They are mostly fine. I've only been done once in many times.
Old May 12th 2012, 4:04 am
Forum Regular

movingdownunderihope is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm confused... does the skytrain from the airport take you directly to the sukhamvit line, i.e. can I change trains at phaya thai to get to thong lor without leaving the building?
Old May 12th 2012, 8:23 am
BE Enthusiast

MonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond repute

Absolutely... after you've carried your suitcase down a couple of flights of stairs (no escalator because that's only going up), and then walked 5 minutes to the BTS station along the walkway (all outside in the heat).
It's a nice ride, and I've used it before, but only when I've not had any luggage!
Old May 12th 2012, 9:15 am
Forum Regular

movingdownunderihope is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks monster. My flight gets in at 8pm. By the time im in the taxi the traffic should be fine, and it will be easier. As long as the drivers not too insane. I'll probs just get a taxi but could be good for the return flight.