Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Thailand
Reload this Page >

Bangkok lifestyle with salary of...

Bangkok lifestyle with salary of...

Old Apr 13th 2009, 5:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

AnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of light
Default Bangkok lifestyle with salary of...

What kind of lifestyle could you lead as a person in their twenties on around 85k - 100k baht per month for around 1 - 2 years? No accom/travel etc included.

I understand this is low, however these are my initial investigations of having a life in Bangkok more for gaining international experience than for an expat money making opportunity.
Old Apr 14th 2009, 5:17 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Bangkok lifestyle with salary of...

Originally Posted by AnotherWorld
What kind of lifestyle could you lead as a person in their twenties on around 85k - 100k baht per month for around 1 - 2 years? No accom/travel etc included.

I understand this is low, however these are my initial investigations of having a life in Bangkok more for gaining international experience than for an expat money making opportunity.
A pretty good lifestyle so long as you don't hook up with a Thai girlfriend intent on bleeding you dry.
Old Apr 14th 2009, 5:37 am
BE Enthusiast

AnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of lightAnotherWorld is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by lionheart
A pretty good lifestyle so long as you don't hook up with a Thai girlfriend intent on bleeding you dry.
Already got one of those (not Thai).
Old Apr 17th 2009, 11:08 am
Freedom!

Jockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond repute

You would have a great life. I used to live on alot less than that and i paid accomodation. If you are out drinking and eating every night in farang type places then your money wouldnt last as long. Depends on your lifetstyle.
Old Apr 25th 2009, 1:11 pm
Just Joined

Jenny666 is an unknown quantity at this point

Im a Bangkokonian, but a trailing spouse with child!!! and in my thirties...... You can do it, and you'll be living on the cheap, but it can be done. If you choose to you can live on next to nothing here, taxis are cheap, skytrain is cheap, food is cheap. The only problem is if you want to live like an expat and eat like an expat, it gets expensive, just stay clear from 5 star hotel brunches and you'll be fine. Where are you planning on working/living??? One more good thing is its sooooo hot, you only ever wear shorts n Tshirt. Its easier to be poor in a hot climate than it is to be poor in the UK.
Old Apr 25th 2009, 7:38 pm
Forum Regular

times up is a jewel in the roughtimes up is a jewel in the roughtimes up is a jewel in the roughtimes up is a jewel in the rough

I have a friend who rents a studio apartment for Bt16k a month but chooses to pay that. You could pay way over your income on rent or you could get more for less (unlikely initially). A serviced apartment will start around Bt30k a month.

Watch electric charges. The real rate is about Bt3.5 per kwh but landlords often charge way more than this. Aircon eats electric and 90%+ of people need it when in a condo whereas a house does require less (unless you aircon more than the bedroom). On your budget, you have to consider electric as part of the rent.

Think about this. You get a cheap place for 10k per month but electric is 10 baht per unit (roughly 3 times the government cost). Now a normal bill of Bt1500 suddenly becomes Bt4500 or Bt3000 more than it should. Your effective rent is therefore Bt13k or 30% more than you thought !

Transport is cheap but terribly time consuming and walking anywhere, even for minutes, will have you wanting another shower. So if you have to go to work but need a tube or skytrain (monorail) then you have to think about the journey from your residence to the subway etc. You may use a motorbike taxi and even if you get near the Thai price (maybe Bt20 when he'll ask you Bt50) then you have Bt20*2 (twice a day)*20 (working days a month) = Bt800 or another Bt1000 or so on your rent and maybe double that until you know the real prices. If two of you, then double that again.

Cable TV is UBC which is about Bt1500 for the Gold package which is what most people get.

Internet is about another Bt1000 for supposed decent speeds (2 to 4 mbs).

Often cheaper to eat out than cook and a decent Thai meal on an average day is well under Bt100 in Thai places and maybe Bt100-200 in aircon Thai / western but not upmarket places.

Don't get swallowed in by the condo block with pool and gym etc. if you never use them because you are paying for them nevertheless.

Forget your own transport.

If you hanker after western pubs and bars with western food then why be in Bangkok but seriously, your expenditure can get out of control.

Personally ? I'd stay in a decent place you can live in for a month and then find somewhere you want to rent longer term. A serviced apartment is ideal for that. Some hotel deals do great (relative) deals. One I use in Bangkok is the Aspen, though on Soi 2 Sukhumvit and relatively near the "naughty night-life" they have great monthly delas as per http://www.aspenbangkok.com/z1039/promotions.html

The Somerset on Sukhumvit Soi 16 has good suites as well for the price.

If you want to ask anything, drop me a PM.
Old Apr 26th 2009, 2:50 am
BE Enthusiast

MonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond reputeMonsterP has a reputation beyond repute

100k baht a month, and only in your 20's?
I did it for nearly 3 years on 120k a month, and I was 35. Your laughing mate.
I spend 20k on a brand new 50SqM apartment in Phra Khanong soi 67, ate out every lunch time and evening, and went out with friends, nearly every night of the week. Didn't spend more than 80k a month lavishly. I have expat friends who still don't spend more than 40k a month all in.

Sounds like you'll have fun, and if you have a gf, you won't be spending so much anyway since you won't have a Thai asking you for money like an ATM.

Welcome to BKK, it will be some of the best fun you'll ever have!!!!
Old Apr 29th 2009, 2:25 pm
Forum Regular

TheDreamer is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: Bangkok lifestyle with salary of...

Originally Posted by times up
I have a friend who rents a studio apartment for Bt16k a month but chooses to pay that. You could pay way over your income on rent or you could get more for less (unlikely initially). A serviced apartment will start around Bt30k a month.

Watch electric charges. The real rate is about Bt3.5 per kwh but landlords often charge way more than this. Aircon eats electric and 90%+ of people need it when in a condo whereas a house does require less (unless you aircon more than the bedroom). On your budget, you have to consider electric as part of the rent.

Think about this. You get a cheap place for 10k per month but electric is 10 baht per unit (roughly 3 times the government cost). Now a normal bill of Bt1500 suddenly becomes Bt4500 or Bt3000 more than it should. Your effective rent is therefore Bt13k or 30% more than you thought !

Transport is cheap but terribly time consuming and walking anywhere, even for minutes, will have you wanting another shower. So if you have to go to work but need a tube or skytrain (monorail) then you have to think about the journey from your residence to the subway etc. You may use a motorbike taxi and even if you get near the Thai price (maybe Bt20 when he'll ask you Bt50) then you have Bt20*2 (twice a day)*20 (working days a month) = Bt800 or another Bt1000 or so on your rent and maybe double that until you know the real prices. If two of you, then double that again.

Cable TV is UBC which is about Bt1500 for the Gold package which is what most people get.

Internet is about another Bt1000 for supposed decent speeds (2 to 4 mbs).

Often cheaper to eat out than cook and a decent Thai meal on an average day is well under Bt100 in Thai places and maybe Bt100-200 in aircon Thai / western but not upmarket places.

Don't get swallowed in by the condo block with pool and gym etc. if you never use them because you are paying for them nevertheless.

Forget your own transport.

If you hanker after western pubs and bars with western food then why be in Bangkok but seriously, your expenditure can get out of control.

Personally ? I'd stay in a decent place you can live in for a month and then find somewhere you want to rent longer term. A serviced apartment is ideal for that. Some hotel deals do great (relative) deals. One I use in Bangkok is the Aspen, though on Soi 2 Sukhumvit and relatively near the "naughty night-life" they have great monthly delas as per http://www.aspenbangkok.com/z1039/promotions.html

The Somerset on Sukhumvit Soi 16 has good suites as well for the price.

If you want to ask anything, drop me a PM.

A very scientific post - if bankers were as precise as this there would be no financial crises
Old Apr 30th 2009, 8:10 pm
Just Joined

mobile2 is an unknown quantity at this point

I believe that it is only about $30,000 US dollars per year. That is actually a bit below average in wages isn't it? It is mediocre at best.