Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Thailand
Reload this Page >

Do you pay tax on uk pensions in Thailand ?

Do you pay tax on uk pensions in Thailand ?

Old Aug 5th 2016, 12:42 am
Just Joined

brander is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Do you pay tax on uk pensions in Thailand ?

Hi to you all,can any of you tell me if you pay tax on your pensions from the uk ?.
I ask this as i have a letter from my uk bank {natwest}asking for details of my account so they can send all my details to Thailand as i am to start paying tax here not in the uk.They also say that they will send all transactions such as,balance,any money paid in and from what source,i find this very odd as i have been here for ten years and have had no problems at all.
I look forward to your thoughts on this,thanks and god bless you all.
Old Aug 5th 2016, 12:56 am
BE Forum Addict

quiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do you pay tax on uk pensions in Thailand ?

Depends on the Double Tax Treaty 'tween UK/Thailand.
Here's the definition of types of pensions; INTM343040 - DT claims and applications - Types of income: Pensions and Annuities
and here's the DTT itself https://www.gov.uk/government/public...with-uk-income - look up Thailand and see what HMRC agree. Any income you can claim gross in UK is taxable where you are resident - but you may have privileges in Thailand. In Philippines, due to my residents status I can get any income remitted free of local tax, but HMRC still tax me on State pensions.
Old Aug 5th 2016, 1:01 am
BE Forum Addict

quiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond repute

forgot to say it seems like the Thai government is going after long term expats who do not appear to have paid any income tax in Thailand! They may have approached all UK banks asking for details of any accounts for people with Thai addresses. For example, the US requires foreign banks to report any bank accounts held by US citizens under the FACTA regulations as US citizens must do an annual return of worldwide income, no matter where they live.
Old Aug 5th 2016, 1:04 am
Just Joined

brander is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for that Quiltman,very grateful for your input.