Baht going down ??

Old Aug 27th 2013, 6:39 pm

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Baht going down ??

It's been high for so long and now it seems that maybe over the past few months we've turned a corner and it's going down . Nearly 50 to the GBP on XECC at the moment . Personally I'm hoping it continues because I'm going to be converting a lot next year . Any thoughts anyone ?
Old Aug 28th 2013, 1:46 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Baht going down ??

Asian currencies are taking a battering at the moment. Who knows if it will continue. Indian rupee is dropping like a stone. And Sterling is strengthening....who'd have thought it.
Old Aug 28th 2013, 1:58 pm
Forum Regular

wwinit has much to be proud ofwwinit has much to be proud ofwwinit has much to be proud ofwwinit has much to be proud ofwwinit has much to be proud ofwwinit has much to be proud ofwwinit has much to be proud ofwwinit has much to be proud ofwwinit has much to be proud ofwwinit has much to be proud ofwwinit has much to be proud of

The Thai baht is weak at the moment for various reasons, but overall it is quite normal when you look at the 5-year trend. In the middle of the year, baht is quite soft and it is time for us to change some money and visit the country. Then by the end of the year, as predicted, it will become slightly strong again which is not good for money exchange. Anyway, with you riyals picked with US$, i.e. SR 3.75/$, you might be happy now.
Old Aug 30th 2013, 12:10 pm

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wwinit
The Thai baht is weak at the moment for various reasons, but overall it is quite normal when you look at the 5-year trend. In the middle of the year, baht is quite soft and it is time for us to change some money and visit the country. Then by the end of the year, as predicted, it will become slightly strong again which is not good for money exchange. Anyway, with you riyals picked with US$, i.e. SR 3.75/$, you might be happy now.
When I was in Thailand last year in December I was getting 8 changing direct from SAR , now it's above 8.5 which is around the 5% mark . Have to follow it and see where it goes !
Old Sep 3rd 2013, 11:08 am
Forum Regular

HannahJ38 has a brilliant futureHannahJ38 has a brilliant futureHannahJ38 has a brilliant futureHannahJ38 has a brilliant futureHannahJ38 has a brilliant futureHannahJ38 has a brilliant futureHannahJ38 has a brilliant future

When I was in Thailand in 2010 it was 1 pound to 43 or 45 Thai Baht, and have seen rates now at 1 pound to 50 Baht. Going to keep an eye on it and see if it continues.
Old Sep 5th 2013, 7:08 pm

8.61 and falling.
Old Sep 23rd 2013, 5:51 pm
Banned

freewifiavailablehere is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by nonthaburi
It's been high for so long and now it seems that maybe over the past few months we've turned a corner and it's going down . Nearly 50 to the GBP on XECC at the moment . Personally I'm hoping it continues because I'm going to be converting a lot next year . Any thoughts anyone ?
Yes, use halo financial services when you send it back - it saved me 4k over HSBC last year.
Old Oct 4th 2013, 7:24 pm
Banned

freewifiavailablehere is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by nonthaburi
I'm going to be converting a lot next year . :
'A lot', ey? On your EFL salary? I'm sure that will give you some great bragging rights on the teach Asia site, ey stretch or, on the 'jarn.
Old Oct 6th 2013, 6:19 pm

starting to think you're cyberstalking me !
Old Oct 6th 2013, 6:21 pm

Originally Posted by freewifiavailablehere
'A lot', ey? On your EFL salary? I'm sure that will give you some great bragging rights on the teach Asia site, ey stretch or, on the 'jarn.
For someone who seems to hate teachers with a passion , you do seem to know an awful lot about them . Is there something you're not telling us ??
Old Oct 15th 2013, 9:25 pm
Forum Regular

bkk_mike has much to be proud ofbkk_mike has much to be proud ofbkk_mike has much to be proud ofbkk_mike has much to be proud ofbkk_mike has much to be proud ofbkk_mike has much to be proud ofbkk_mike has much to be proud ofbkk_mike has much to be proud ofbkk_mike has much to be proud ofbkk_mike has much to be proud ofbkk_mike has much to be proud of

Basically, since the big floods in 2011, the governments made a few mistakes money-wise. (If you do a search on the rice pledging scheme for instance).

They're trying to get parliamentary approval for a huge infrastructure loan that would essentially bankrupt the country for a few years. If that goes through, and then the usual skimming on the contracts takes place, the baht could drop like 1997.
Old Oct 18th 2013, 9:33 am

so will the 'Teflon' economy finally come unstuck ?