Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Thailand
Reload this Page >

All you need to know about Phuket

All you need to know about Phuket

Old Jan 18th 2012, 4:03 am
Not allowed opinions.

slapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: All you need to know about Phuket

Far far off topic, but it may be of interest to some....

One of the last bits of the British Empire was a remote airstrip called Gan.

I remember guys who avoided bring posted to it. A god forsaken atoll with just an RAF base.

Gan closed in 1975. Well within living memory of many here. Its story is here:

http://www.gan.philliptsmall.me.uk/0...s&Articles.htm
Old Jan 18th 2012, 8:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nonthaburi
was in Cambodia a couple of weeks ago and I like it a lot, needs some better infrastructure but it is definitely on the up.
Good to hear.Must get back there for another look. Last there 2003 expect many changes.
A friend moved over six months ago to Siem Riep to run a Uni department. Loves it big time.

Phuket I have little good to say about these days. It's work to go there. I get the feeling of a degree of contempt towards foreigners expressed rather openly.
The Tut Tut drivers seem criminal.A slight disagreement can result in serious reprecussions if allowed to escalate. Found a very threatening manner with others ready to get involved but had the sense to pull back.

Dangerous beaches but that is not unique to Phuket. All the same the rips are strong yet saw folks still swimming.
I know the rate of drowings is high. Have two two folk luckily rescued from heavy swell, but in one case it was on Koh Chang. (another dangerous place to swim if unaware)

The aggressive attitide of a number of the sellers is off putting as well.
Certainly wouldn't go for a holiday there though saying that not a great Thai fan. Used to enjoy Koh Samui pre airport days.
No,Cambodia will certainly be a place of call very soon.
Old Jan 18th 2012, 8:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Atilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really nice

2 or 4 legged
Old Jan 19th 2012, 3:51 am

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the troubadour
Good to hear.Must get back there for another look. Last there 2003 expect many changes.
A friend moved over six months ago to Siem Riep to run a Uni department. Loves it big time.

Phuket I have little good to say about these days. It's work to go there. I get the feeling of a degree of contempt towards foreigners expressed rather openly.
The Tut Tut drivers seem criminal.A slight disagreement can result in serious reprecussions if allowed to escalate. Found a very threatening manner with others ready to get involved but had the sense to pull back.

Dangerous beaches but that is not unique to Phuket. All the same the rips are strong yet saw folks still swimming.
I know the rate of drowings is high. Have two two folk luckily rescued from heavy swell, but in one case it was on Koh Chang. (another dangerous place to swim if unaware)

The aggressive attitide of a number of the sellers is off putting as well.
Certainly wouldn't go for a holiday there though saying that not a great Thai fan. Used to enjoy Koh Samui pre airport days.
No,Cambodia will certainly be a place of call very soon.
I agree with most of what you say regarding Phuket. To me it seems to be a place where you see the worst of Thai people and the attitude that many have towards foreigners as cows to be milked, legally or otherwise. So many well documented scams. Not that any of this is unique to Phuket as a lot of this bullshit goes on all over Thailand. It just seems that it is more prevalent there. I haven't been there since 2000 and while I'm sure there are nice places to go. I'm also sure that if I was paying top dollar I could go to nicer places elsewhere. To be honest ( and totally prejudiced ) , I'm not a fan of the people down south in tourist areas pepriod.
Old Jan 25th 2012, 6:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with most of what you say regarding Phuket. To me it seems to be a place where you see the worst of Thai people and the attitude that many have towards foreigners as cows to be milked, legally or otherwise. So many well documented scams. Not that any of this is unique to Phuket as a lot of this bullshit goes on all over Thailand. It just seems that it is more prevalent there. I haven't been there since 2000 and while I'm sure there are nice places to go. I'm also sure that if I was paying top dollar I could go to nicer places elsewhere. To be honest ( and totally prejudiced ) , I'm not a fan of the people down south in tourist areas pepriod.
Have just read about three Aussies getting a sound bashing at or outside Rock City Club which is close to the centre of the action. Two were pretty seriously hurt. Seems 15 Thais swarmed them so badly outnumbered. Aussies may have started it but the retribution was severe.
Seems all too common happening in Phuket these days.

Sure you could find much nicer players elsewhere.Have you giving any consideration to moving to Cambodia. My Aussie friend has passed her six months there recently and seems to love it more and more.
Must say it does sound a little tempting.
Old Jan 25th 2012, 10:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Atilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really nice

I'm sure that there's always exceptions but much of what I read / hear about events like this tends to emanate from drunkards chucking their weight around and coming off seriously second best when they realise that the 2-3 smallish guys they outnumbered, and are thus 'brave' enough to get gobby, suddenly quadruple in number and then it seems to be not quite so funny any more. Maybe I'm being too uncharitable but you do tend to see lot it around.
Old Jan 26th 2012, 5:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

In the above case I expect that may well be the case. But this is far from being unique. A solo middle aged German was severly beaten the other week. Again by a swarm. I can see very easy how this situation can happen. An arguement over an agreed fare will put a person at risk. Some of these types seem almost to want to pick a fight if you don't agree with them to the letter. They are pretty sure of their mates backing them up so one or two farang would stand little chance.
The looks seem to suggest a dislike of farang to put it mildly by some there. Just don't recall this elsewhere in Thailand to this degree.
Or am I over stating it? I have been to Phuket over a dozen times but most visits would have been prior to 2000.I have detected a sharp decline in attitides over time. Others who live there or spend more time there are obviously in a better position to say.
Old Feb 5th 2012, 4:36 am
Forum Regular

Nabbie is an unknown quantity at this point

Anyone else got anything to say about Phuket? Good or bad.[/QUOTE]

Hi, I agree your overall comment that reflect my living here too. I do still think Phuket has a wonderful atmosphere, many beautiful beaches, amazing fruits/fishes/etc....under the hot weather but at another hand I am little concerned about booming properties, traffic congestion, the current trend of tragedies. Patong is just one little hot spot of Phuket attracting the large number of tourists and I am pretty sure some British expats prefer to live in other parts of Phuket. Phuket Town is excellent for nearing all the essential services. I would recommend any expats if they are on early retirement or seeking for sweethearts (I mean serious relationships). That is great but not sure about business initiatives - Thai legislation is somewhat complicated. I also worry about next 10-year forecast here - who care about that? Tony, Phuket
Old Feb 10th 2012, 3:03 am
Just Joined

kotaru1004 is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree with your comments
Phuket is a very beautiful beach, a great place to go on holiday, sightseeing
Delicious food there, taste with many
Old Feb 12th 2012, 6:28 pm
Just Joined

keyesgood is an unknown quantity at this point

its looks nice , but theres about 5 farang aweek beening nocked off , like killed,

the thai goverment just sit back and watch ,
Old Feb 13th 2012, 12:20 am
BE Enthusiast

260 per year!!!! Sounds excessive???
Old Feb 13th 2012, 4:23 am

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by keyesgood
its looks nice , but theres about 5 farang aweek beening nocked off , like killed,

the thai goverment just sit back and watch ,
they probably deserved it
Old Feb 15th 2012, 2:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Only 248 of them
Old Apr 21st 2012, 7:07 am
BE Forum Addict

RedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond repute

I am not too keen on mixing with the tourists that represent the boozing white trash image the Thai's dread but put up with.

Any suggestions for places of cultural significance easily accessible with young children looking to immerse themselves.
Old Apr 21st 2012, 8:02 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Yeh, Penang.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.