180+ days in Thailand

Old Oct 2nd 2014, 1:04 pm
Forum Regular

Nakrob has a reputation beyond reputeNakrob has a reputation beyond reputeNakrob has a reputation beyond reputeNakrob has a reputation beyond reputeNakrob has a reputation beyond reputeNakrob has a reputation beyond reputeNakrob has a reputation beyond reputeNakrob has a reputation beyond reputeNakrob has a reputation beyond reputeNakrob has a reputation beyond reputeNakrob has a reputation beyond repute
Default 180+ days in Thailand

Considering taking some extended time off work (paid and unpaid) in Thailand which could see us in the country >180days and therefore consider tax resident.

While I would continue to be paid my salary overseas for most of this duration, as I wouldn't technically be working in Thaialnd (rather on leave) would I still be liable to pay income tax on this salary in Thailand?

As always, tax questions depend heavily on personal circumstance so I'm not looking for a definitive answer but maybe some 'case studies' of individuals who have done similar.

PS: my circumstances would enable to to get a visa for this duration.
Old Oct 8th 2014, 3:46 pm

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 180+ days in Thailand

How would the Thai authorities know anything about your financial situation!! unless you tell them. All you should worry about is your visa.
Old Oct 10th 2014, 12:19 pm
Forum Regular

brownknees is just really nicebrownknees is just really nicebrownknees is just really nicebrownknees is just really nicebrownknees is just really nicebrownknees is just really nicebrownknees is just really nicebrownknees is just really nice

Means your over 50 with a pension and you have had 800,000baht in the bank for over three months of applying for your visa ?
Old Oct 29th 2014, 4:39 am
Banned

bruisealmighty816 is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't think you have to pay for some sort of taxes while holidaying in Thailand and they won't even meddle on how you receive your income. They might ask prior or as a part of your visa application/renewal, but I agree with nonthaburi, your visa is of utmost importance. Best of luck and enjoy your vacay!
Old Nov 28th 2014, 6:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

NeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond reputeNeonHippy has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with everyone else. If you are on vacation you should not need to seek tax residence status. The only exception is if you are trying to reduce the tax in your normal country of residence. In this case you need to look for any double taxation agreement between your normal residence and Thailand. You will probably find that to become non-resident in your home country the authorities will want some evidence of declaring tax in Thailand. But Thailand taxes on the remittance basis so if you are in the position to put enough money in Thailand from the outset and not remit any of this year's income into Thailand there may be a benefit.