Reload this Page >

17 and moving to Thailand

17 and moving to Thailand

Old Nov 12th 2012, 1:47 pm
Just Joined

LucasWalker is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 17 and moving to Thailand

Hi.

I am 17 and I have been visiting Thailand for as long as I can remember as I have had family living in phang-nga. I have just finished college, and have now decided to look at moving there myself. I have found that I would be able to get a job (as an English speaker) fairly easily, and have handsome interest from some of the hotels I have emailed asking if they would like my services as an employee on a full time basis.

However, the question I need answering is, how much money would I need to set aside to begin with for accommodation etc, and also, how hard is it too get a working visa? I have read online and it doesn't seem too difficult, but would just like someone with more knowledge to fill me in

Thanks!
Old Nov 13th 2012, 9:23 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 17 and moving to Thailand

Originally Posted by LucasWalker
Hi.

I am 17 and I have been visiting Thailand for as long as I can remember as I have had family living in phang-nga. I have just finished college, and have now decided to look at moving there myself. I have found that I would be able to get a job (as an English speaker) fairly easily, and have handsome interest from some of the hotels I have emailed asking if they would like my services as an employee on a full time basis.

However, the question I need answering is, how much money would I need to set aside to begin with for accommodation etc, and also, how hard is it too get a working visa? I have read online and it doesn't seem too difficult, but would just like someone with more knowledge to fill me in

Thanks!
If I had that knowledge Lucas I would fill you in. However I am impressed with your adventuredness at age 17, Britain is not easy for the youth now, so go East young man! Maybe I will try to fill you in anyway ...

Teaching English seems the most likely route for you to get a Thai work permit and there are many threads which cover that. You will need a TEFL qualification which you can obtain here or probably (less rigorously) in Thailand. Once you are there you could consider other roles like hotel work, though you may have some restrictions on your visa.

As for money, my guess would be £600-900 / per month minimum depending on accommodation. And that would be modest living and eating.

Others will be better qualified and experienced to answer than myself. Just thought I'd at least say something as, despite over sixty views, the forum is a bit quiet at the moment. Good luck.

Last edited by Shard; Nov 13th 2012 at 9:27 pm.
Old Nov 13th 2012, 9:35 pm
Just Joined

Hey

Thanks for your reply!

The one thing I've encountered looking at it, is just the Visa situation, it seems pretty difficult to obtain one. Not quite sure how it works, but hopefully you, or someone else knows something about it! I could also look at running my own company over there, but I understand I'd need a Thai Investor, is that right?
Old Nov 13th 2012, 9:40 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Hey

Thanks for your reply!

The one thing I've encountered looking at it, is just the Visa situation, it seems pretty difficult to obtain one. Not quite sure how it works, but hopefully you, or someone else knows something about it! I could also look at running my own company over there, but I understand I'd need a Thai Investor, is that right?
You probably would need a Thai investor, and I would wary of going down that route when you are just starting out. Unless you have an investment you are able to lose.

Visa should not be difficult if you have a job offer, and you can probably get that if you get a qualification. Check the thread on teaching in Thailand and it has some links to very comprehensive sites on the subject.

Some people are doing web design out there, but there will be a lot of competition and you do need clients.
Old Nov 13th 2012, 9:42 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi.

Thanks!
Do you speak any Thai? Or any other languages?

Don't assume that English speakers will easily find a job - English is actually quite commonplace in Bangkok. Also, at 17 you will be looking at entry level positions in hotels - these do not pay well anywhere in the world, let alone Thailand. If this is your only source of income then you'll probably not be able to afford much more than a basic studio type apartment.
Old Nov 13th 2012, 9:54 pm
Just Joined

In fairness, you need to start somewhere! I can speak Thai, not fluently, but I would rate myself 5/10, but I'd obviously learn more before I move out..
Old Nov 13th 2012, 10:30 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

In fairness, you need to start somewhere! I can speak Thai, not fluently, but I would rate myself 5/10, but I'd obviously learn more before I move out..
If you can do the tones and hear the difference then you'll probably pick it up relatively quickly (although you should learn to read/write as soon as you can). The grammar is pretty simple I found, although there are a lot of idioms. Anyway, while english speaking westerners are extremely common, westerners that speak Thai well (i.e. more than "song beer sing krap") are rarer. This will help you.

Last edited by Alan2005; Nov 13th 2012 at 10:32 pm.
Old Nov 13th 2012, 11:05 pm
Just Joined

I just read online that it is actually illegal for a foreigner too work as anything that a Thai person can do themselves? Is this true? In that case, I may need to rethink as im pretty sure Thai people can work in a hotel!
Old Nov 13th 2012, 11:59 pm

I just read online that it is actually illegal for a foreigner too work as anything that a Thai person can do themselves? Is this true? In that case, I may need to rethink as im pretty sure Thai people can work in a hotel!
No. It's not illegal in that sense. However you do need a work permit. To get one of these you (or your employer) need to demonstrate that your job role cannot be filled locally. And yes, this will be a very big ask for entry level hotel jobs. TEFL is the usual route for english speakers but that's got it's own risks as the industry seems to be full of shysters.
Old Nov 14th 2012, 12:07 am
Just Joined

I think I might have had some serious luck here guys.

I applied for a job a few days ago, and they've asked me (flight and accommodation paid for!!) to come out to Thailand on the 16th and have a look around and so they can get too know me. Not sure if this means I have the job or not, but hey! Its an internship for a year, sponsored visa, and full accommodation inside the hotel. The money isn't brilliant, but in all fairness, I'm 17 and Ill get the experience I need to move further up the ladder. My expenses also wouldn't be very much as they described that my laundry, food , drinks and accommodation is all free while I'm there, so technically, I don't have to spend a penny! Ill let everyone know how it goes over the next few days
Old Nov 14th 2012, 12:12 am
Yo

I applied for a job a few days ago, and they've asked me (flight and accommodation paid for!!) to come out to Thailand on the 16th and have a look around and so they can get too know me. Not sure if this means I have the job or not, but hey! Its an internship for a year, sponsored visa, and full accommodation inside the hotel. The money isn't brilliant, but in all fairness, I'm 17 and Ill get the experience I need to move further up the ladder. My expenses also wouldn't be very much as they described that my laundry, food , drinks and accommodation is all free while I'm there, so technically, I don't have to spend a penny! Ill let everyone know how it goes over the next few days
Crikey, that is some luck !!! Look forward to the update.
Old Nov 14th 2012, 12:14 am

Catchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond repute

Score! Well done.

Make sure you have enough funds to leave if required and make sure your passport always remains in your hands (unless put into the hands of an official, never an employer). Bring photocopies of your passport and lots of passport sized photos, this will be required for visa processing and can be pain to organise locally.

If you have the time, try and get a diving qualification, Padi divemaster or above, Thailand is pretty cheap place to do this and it's a skill that can help if you want to work in resorts.

I worked in Thailand as a DM in Koh Tao for six months, back in the day! It was awesome!
Old Nov 14th 2012, 1:01 am

Nice. You've got nothing to lose if this is as it appears. Good luck!
Old Nov 14th 2012, 6:32 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats Lucas, sounds like a foot in the door. At 17 that's all you need. Re Thai and the tonal stuff, I lived in Phuket for a few years and was told by local Thais that they don't do the tonal stuff in the South. It's not posh Thai in the south I learnt a little teeny bit, nid noy, and much easier not having to do the tonals. Err....not sure where your job is. Best of luck and do let us know how you get on.
Old Nov 20th 2012, 10:30 pm
Forum Regular

rodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond reputerodandhayley has a reputation beyond repute

there is truth in this
for instance you can own a bar or club but not allowed to serve in it
there are many jobs you just would not be allowed to do,taxi,gardner, waiter,cook, (some talented chefs may get sponsered)
your best chance is playing heavy on your english skills

good luck you will have a ball

be carefull you dont get scammed thai companies paying for flights is very rare.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.