100 Baht a month

Old Apr 4th 2013, 6:32 pm

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 100 Baht a month

The thing is that at 250k a month you're looking at about 8k a day. Don't know about rent and bills etc but if that was all to play with I'd be worn out after a few nights. It is easy to spend10K + on a night out but day in day out takes some dedication. Four years worth and I would probably be dead!!
If half went on rent and school fees and stuff like that though then I would be alive.
Old Apr 4th 2013, 10:35 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

It soon goes if you live somewhere posh and also go away a lot at weekends. Especially if you always fly business class and stay in top drawer places like the four seasons in bali.
Old Apr 5th 2013, 3:49 pm
Just Joined

ontwo will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by nonthaburi
The thing is that at 250k a month you're looking at about 8k a day. Don't know about rent and bills etc but if that was all to play with I'd be worn out after a few nights. It is easy to spend10K + on a night out but day in day out takes some dedication. Four years worth and I would probably be dead!!
If half went on rent and school fees and stuff like that though then I would be alive.
I am not sure why you are banging on about where I spend my money.
250k baht a month is all inclusive, rent, bills, partying with friends who came to visit.

My post was about, 100k baht and I think it is doable if you budget. It is not a great deal, but it is doable.

Maybe you would be worn out after a few nights, I do not know your personal situation, age and your health.

I am only trying to give a perspective.
Old Apr 5th 2013, 6:42 pm

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ontwo
I am not sure why you are banging on about where I spend my money.
250k baht a month is all inclusive, rent, bills, partying with friends who came to visit.

My post was about, 100k baht and I think it is doable if you budget. It is not a great deal, but it is doable.

Maybe you would be worn out after a few nights, I do not know your personal situation, age and your health.

I am only trying to give a perspective.
okay , that makes a lot more sense when you're including all bills ect . I sort of took it as 250k a month on fun before
Old Apr 5th 2013, 9:07 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by saudivisa
Hi

I have been offered a BKK based Sales Managers job earning 100k baht a month, managing a team of Thai sales agents, the business is worth about 3 million GBP. Its a Brit firm.

Is this an ok salary for BKK and what should I be asking for in terms of accomoodation travel / flight allowances?

Thanks
okay , that makes a lot more sense when you're including all bills ect . I sort of took it as 250k a month on fun before
Yes, the original poster was asking about a sales position, from a Brit firm based in BKK.

If 100k baht is the salary, I would be asking for accommodation on top, plus flights.

For a normal business visa, plus a work permit, in Thailand, you need to show 60k baht min a month, through a company and pay tax on it.
Which is a guideline to a foreigners "minimum wage".
The exception to this is TEFL (Teaching English as a Foreign Language) teachers, who get paid 30k + baht a month, however they are usually people who make up salary through private lessons, have private income, or are in it for an 'extended holiday' or an 'experience', not a serious long term career move.

Could one live in BKK on 100k baht, yes one can, but you would not be 'well off', although if you do not drink, stay in most of the time, it is doable (including paying for accommodation and a flight now and again).

As mentioned before, I have friends who live on less in Thailand.

I fully acknowledge my spending habits whilst in Thailand were more on the lines of a holiday maker, not a long term resident.

If I were offered a job for 100k a month in BKK, yes I would consider it, but I would not think it to be a fantastic salary. It is a salary where you budget, within that budget, you could enjoy life, but you would be on a budget.

Old Apr 6th 2013, 11:37 am

Yes, the original poster was asking about a sales position, from a Brit firm based in BKK.

If 100k baht is the salary, I would be asking for accommodation on top, plus flights.

For a normal business visa, plus a work permit, in Thailand, you need to show 60k baht min a month, through a company and pay tax on it.
Which is a guideline to a foreigners "minimum wage".
The exception to this is TEFL (Teaching English as a Foreign Language) teachers, who get paid 30k + baht a month, however they are usually people who make up salary through private lessons, have private income, or are in it for an 'extended holiday' or an 'experience', not a serious long term career move.

Could one live in BKK on 100k baht, yes one can, but you would not be 'well off', although if you do not drink, stay in most of the time, it is doable (including paying for accommodation and a flight now and again).

As mentioned before, I have friends who live on less in Thailand.

I fully acknowledge my spending habits whilst in Thailand were more on the lines of a holiday maker, not a long term resident.

If I were offered a job for 100k a month in BKK, yes I would consider it, but I would not think it to be a fantastic salary. It is a salary where you budget, within that budget, you could enjoy life, but you would be on a budget.

I always laugh when I read rubbish like this . Even at 100k you are still earning vastly more than most Thais . You tell them it is just about 'doable' and they will laugh in your face .
It's also about equivalent to the average UK salary . Plenty of people in the UK seem to get by , and this is in a country where the main things are a lot more expensive . Most normal people do budget , it's sort of what everyone does . How many people can actually spend money without thinking about it at all .
As for the not drinking , staying in thing , you probably won't be in an expensive bar in Silom somewhere paying 300 for a drink every night but you would have money to spend . Plenty of places to go where you can have some food and drinks and it's not going to break the bank .
If I was on a 100k a month I would rent a house somewhere out of the city a bit for maybe 10k+ a month , bills another 10k on top probably , that still leaves you 80k a month to play with .
Old Apr 6th 2013, 10:14 pm
Just Joined

I always laugh when I read rubbish like this .
I also know, when talking straight, you get one or two on a forum, who want to rubbish you.
I am not of retirement age and I like to go out every night, staying in would bore me in Thailand. For some, staying in is enjoyable, so horses for courses.

Even at 100k you are still earning vastly more than most Thais . You tell them it is just about 'doable' and they will laugh in your face .
But you are not Thai, the OP was asking about a sales position, a Managerial sales position in BKK, as a foreigner.

It's also about equivalent to the average UK salary . Plenty of people in the UK seem to get by , and this is in a country where the main things are a lot more expensive . Most normal people do budget , it's sort of what everyone does . How many people can actually spend money without thinking about it at all .

A Managerial sales position, should not be 'average salary', all I was pointing out, was it is doable, but not a "wow, incredible offer". A salary, as you have pointed out, needs the person in the job to "budget".

As for the not drinking , staying in thing , you probably won't be in an expensive bar in Silom somewhere paying 300 for a drink every night but you would have money to spend . Plenty of places to go where you can have some food and drinks and it's not going to break the bank .
We are on the same page, you would have some money to spend, but would have to budget, and not go out every night and do whatever you would like to.

If I was on a 100k a month I would rent a house somewhere out of the city a bit for maybe 10k+ a month , bills another 10k on top probably , that still leaves you 80k a month to play with .
Indeed, on 100k a month you would have to compromise and budget, get a place out of town, consider what you do, to stick to budget.

I do not think we are far apart. 100k is "doable", if you budget accordingly.

The people I know in BKK, one is a teacher and gets his room for 5k a month (not a great place), he has to budget and does well, one is a computer guy and gets his room in On Nutt, for 16k a month plus bills, about 3k extra a month. Two guys I know in BKK live in the centre and their accommodation is expensive, and they spend more than 100k a month, but they get their salary/monies from outside of Thailand.

Each to their own.

I am guessing you are a long term resident, and have found your piece of paradise, so all the best to you.
Old Apr 8th 2013, 4:40 am

Not trying to rubbish you , just think your figures are way off . So you're saying that the only way to live in BKK on 100k is to not drink and stay in all the time . This is obviously not true . Plenty of people manage to drink and go out on far less.........as in Thai people .

What difference does it make if you are not Thai . Once you get past the not living in a room like many Thais and live in a house there really isn't that much difference between how people live , Thai or foreigner . You have to look at what the wages are worth in country .

Yes it's not a great offer , but there aren't many people who don't have to budget to some degree . That's pretty normal.

No , you couldn't do everything you might want to do every night . Who can ? Give us an example of what you were doing every night then we might know more what you're talking about .

I don't actually live in Thailand , but thanks for the best wishes.
Old Apr 8th 2013, 11:50 pm
Just Joined

Not trying to rubbish you , just think your figures are way off . So you're saying that the only way to live in BKK on 100k is to not drink and stay in all the time . This is obviously not true . Plenty of people manage to drink and go out on far less.........as in Thai people .

What difference does it make if you are not Thai . Once you get past the not living in a room like many Thais and live in a house there really isn't that much difference between how people live , Thai or foreigner . You have to look at what the wages are worth in country .

Yes it's not a great offer , but there aren't many people who don't have to budget to some degree . That's pretty normal.

No , you couldn't do everything you might want to do every night . Who can ? Give us an example of what you were doing every night then we might know more what you're talking about .

I don't actually live in Thailand , but thanks for the best wishes.
For me it makes a big difference being Thai or being a foreigner.

I would not like to live like a typical Thai.

I would like to socialize in places with westerners, which are more expensive than a typical Thai hangout.

I like to go to Westerners restaurants and bars, which are more expensive and I do not like to stay in during the evening.

Yes, of course you can survive on 100k baht a month, but as I have said consistently, you would have to budget, which means, not always being able to do everything you might like to.

It might also mean not going out every night.

Someone going to Thailand (BKK) on 100k baht a month, I would consider, is doing it because they wanted to be in Thailand, not because it was a slick career move.
Old Apr 9th 2013, 12:02 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

For me it makes a big difference being Thai or being a foreigner.

I would not like to live like a typical Thai.

I would like to socialize in places with westerners, which are more expensive than a typical Thai hangout.

I like to go to Westerners restaurants and bars, which are more expensive and I do not like to stay in during the evening.

Yes, of course you can survive on 100k baht a month, but as I have said consistently, you would have to budget, which means, not always being able to do everything you might like to.

It might also mean not going out every night.

Someone going to Thailand (BKK) on 100k baht a month, I would consider, is doing it because they wanted to be in Thailand, not because it was a slick career move.
Lots of "typical Thais" in the typically Thai upmarket malls these days. Plenty of "typical Thais" driving typical Lexus cars, etc.. It's a Western myth to associate Asian low income people with authenticity.
Old Apr 9th 2013, 12:12 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Shard
Lots of "typical Thais" in the typically Thai upmarket malls these days. Plenty of "typical Thais" driving typical Lexus cars, etc.. It's a Western myth to associate Asian low income people with authenticity.

All good Shard, so on 100k baht a month, would you be driving a Lexus?

A "typical Thai" does not drive a Lexus, there are many well off Thais and many more less well off.
Old Apr 9th 2013, 12:31 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

All good Shard, so on 100k baht a month, would you be driving a Lexus?

A "typical Thai" does not drive a Lexus, there are many well off Thais and many more less well off.
There are many well off Thais driving Lexus or newish Toytas etc.. These are as typical Thais as the guy driving a beat up old motorbike. It doesn't make sense to make a national stereotype. It's like saying, the typical Brit drives a Ford Focus and eats at the pub - true, but meaningless. The fact is that there are plenty of "typical" Thais at upmarket bars and restaurants in Bangkok.
Old Apr 10th 2013, 6:00 am

Agree with Shard . What constitutes a typical Thai these days ( in BKK anyway ) leaves a wide variety of people . When you drive around BKK you will notice top of the range lancruisers , BMWs , Mercedes etc . And pretty much all of these will be driven by Thai people . So there are obviously enough Thai people with money to buy these things . Ontwo should take note ; on Viphivadi Rangsit Road for as long as I can remember there have been many luxury car dealerships with top of the range cars . I don't think there are too many foreign customers going in there .
The idea that all Thai people are poor is so out of date . Bangkok is a melting pot of income , culture , and ethnicity and the idea that you can lump all Thais into one low income group is a misnomer .
The Thai economy has been ticking over at around the 5% mark for at least the last ten years and the SET has doubled in value . So obviously there are going to be more people with more money around . Yes there are still many poor people in Thailand but there also many very rich people too .
Old Apr 10th 2013, 8:01 am
Forum Regular

Jackwow is a name known to allJackwow is a name known to allJackwow is a name known to allJackwow is a name known to allJackwow is a name known to allJackwow is a name known to allJackwow is a name known to allJackwow is a name known to allJackwow is a name known to allJackwow is a name known to allJackwow is a name known to all

It should be remembered that whereas in the west someone is more likely to spend their income getting on the property ladder than buying a flash car many Thais would rather live in a rented box so that they can be seen driving a new Merc or BMW, i.e., the flash car isn't necessarily a good reflection of their income.
Old Apr 10th 2013, 8:44 am
Forum Regular

Quackers is just really niceQuackers is just really niceQuackers is just really niceQuackers is just really niceQuackers is just really niceQuackers is just really niceQuackers is just really niceQuackers is just really nice

Originally Posted by Jackwow
It should be remembered that whereas in the west someone is more likely to spend their income getting on the property ladder than buying a flash car many Thais would rather live in a rented box so that they can be seen driving a new Merc or BMW, i.e., the flash car isn't necessarily a good reflection of their income.
Rich Thais do not live in rented boxes....they rent out the boxes. There are far more 'rich' Thais who own land driving basic cars then the other way around. There isn't much of a property ladder in Thailand as most land is passed down to kin. The have and have not divide is far bigger than in the West.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.