100 Baht a month

Old Mar 17th 2013, 5:31 am

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 100 Baht a month

My favourite at the moment is the Swissotel on Wireless Road , purely for the garden and pool which is amazing . A lot of 4-5 star hotels do 3 nights for the price of 2 deals . Having said that I have stayed in places for 2 quid a night .

As to Thai food being cheap , it can be cheap . Street food might only be 60-80 pence for a meal but the quality might not be that great and the portions may be small as well . You always find people saying you can live for 2 pounds a day etc but what kind of food are you eating . A lot of street food is very unhealthy and it may have been sitting out on the street for hours ( if it's a curry ) in pollution . How hygienic are some of these stalls as well ?
Old Mar 17th 2013, 11:16 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nonthaburi
My favourite at the moment is the Swissotel on Wireless Road , purely for the garden and pool which is amazing . A lot of 4-5 star hotels do 3 nights for the price of 2 deals . Having said that I have stayed in places for 2 quid a night .

As to Thai food being cheap , it can be cheap . Street food might only be 60-80 pence for a meal but the quality might not be that great and the portions may be small as well . You always find people saying you can live for 2 pounds a day etc but what kind of food are you eating . A lot of street food is very unhealthy and it may have been sitting out on the street for hours ( if it's a curry ) in pollution . How hygienic are some of these stalls as well ?
Are people still saying things like that (£2/day) stuck in some kind of 1980s time warp ? The great thing about travel in Thailand these days is that you get fantastic restaurant food for about half the price of the Europe or NA. It's a false economy to travel half way around the world and try and spend as little as you can on food. A bit like going to the US and scouring the country for the cheapest hot dog.
Old Mar 17th 2013, 5:30 pm

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
Are people still saying things like that (£2/day) stuck in some kind of 1980s time warp ? The great thing about travel in Thailand these days is that you get fantastic restaurant food for about half the price of the Europe or NA. It's a false economy to travel half way around the world and try and spend as little as you can on food. A bit like going to the US and scouring the country for the cheapest hot dog.
Didn't say I was doing that , I said I have stayed in places for 2 quid a night . I was a lot younger then and I didn't have a wife and kids . Swissotel right now is about 5000 a night so my 2 quid a night days are long gone .

As for food , I'm a bit biased because my wife is a trained chef . We don't eat out much . I eat far better at home than I ever would in a restaurant . Guess it depends what kinds of restaurants you go to . A lot of places are hit and miss . Personally I wouldn't travel halfway around the world to spend as little as possible on food . I just gave some example prices of how much street food costs . As I said in my post I try to avoid street food ( the cheapest food available in Thailand ) for various reasons .
Old Mar 18th 2013, 1:20 pm
Forum Regular

wwinit has much to be proud ofwwinit has much to be proud ofwwinit has much to be proud ofwwinit has much to be proud ofwwinit has much to be proud ofwwinit has much to be proud ofwwinit has much to be proud ofwwinit has much to be proud ofwwinit has much to be proud ofwwinit has much to be proud ofwwinit has much to be proud of

Street food stalls are actually part of Thai culture. If you like to explore 'true' Bangkok and Thailand, you should try some street food, especially around Yaowarat and Sukhumvit areas, and observe people's communication, i.e. body language, smiles, etc. Apply your universal precaution though. When you see a stall with lots of customers, that means the food is good and clean enough to eat, but also beware of food poisoning. All Thais have some microbes in their guts and developed appropriate immunity over a period of time, which is different from farangs. You can certainly live on £3-6 a day with street food. Bon appetit!
Old Mar 18th 2013, 1:59 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Live for £3 per day on street food? That's 135B at current rates, you must have a very small appetite!
Old Mar 18th 2013, 3:37 pm
Forum Regular

HannahJ38 has a brilliant futureHannahJ38 has a brilliant futureHannahJ38 has a brilliant futureHannahJ38 has a brilliant futureHannahJ38 has a brilliant futureHannahJ38 has a brilliant futureHannahJ38 has a brilliant future

May have been mistaken with £10, that is just what they told us, it is definitely possible to stay in Hotels still about 4* for around £30.00, mind you, with that being the case, when there were three of us staying in the room, we were able to split the price down the middle, so we were only paying around £10.00..that's how i think it appears cheaper.
Old Mar 18th 2013, 3:51 pm
Yo

Originally Posted by HannahJ38
May have been mistaken with £10, that is just what they told us, it is definitely possible to stay in Hotels still about 4* for around £30.00, mind you, with that being the case, when there were three of us staying in the room, we were able to split the price down the middle, so we were only paying around £10.00..that's how i think it appears cheaper.
That makes a bit more sense!
Old Mar 18th 2013, 4:37 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wwinit
Street food stalls are actually part of Thai culture. If you like to explore 'true' Bangkok and Thailand, you should try some street food, especially around Yaowarat and Sukhumvit areas, and observe people's communication, i.e. body language, smiles, etc. Apply your universal precaution though. When you see a stall with lots of customers, that means the food is good and clean enough to eat, but also beware of food poisoning. All Thais have some microbes in their guts and developed appropriate immunity over a period of time, which is different from farangs. You can certainly live on £3-6 a day with street food. Bon appetit!
I used to live near silom and ate on soi convent quite a bit. Not every day, but at least once or twice a week. There was a place right outside molly mallones (or whatever it's called now) that did good khao man ghai; it was still there a year ago and was 40 baht or so per portion.

As for the bolded bit, it's actually not true. The stuff living in your gut adjusts to the local cuisine after a week or so and Thai's are not immune to getting food poisoning. (Luckily during my 3 years in bangkok I was never sick once and I ate pretty much anything except insects and that dancing prawn dish)

Live for £3 per day on street food? That's 135B at current rates, you must have a very small appetite!
wwinit actually suggests £3 to £6 and I think that is doable quite easily. There are also lots of places that straddle the line between street food and food courts; the sort of places that office workers (like I was) use every day for lunch. You can easily be full on around 100 baht.

Last edited by Alan2005; Mar 18th 2013 at 4:44 pm.
Old Mar 19th 2013, 4:17 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
anything except insects and that dancing prawn dish

oh please.......
Old Mar 19th 2013, 7:37 am

I think that most of my issues with street food come down to a few points :

1) Location - if you're in a busy area then the chances are that there is going to be a lot of traffic about . If that food has been sitting around for a while ( curries , chicken for Kao Man Gai , Kao Moo Deng , Kao Ka Moo etc ) then it will have been in all those fumes for a long time . Even if the food is freshly cooked , if you are sitting down in that place you are going to be in all those fumes . Not very peaceful either . Maybe it's because I'm older now but I would rather sit down somewhere and have bit of peace .

2) Health - people often say how healthy Thai food is . Well some of it is if it uses fresh vegetables and things are boiled or steamed . But the vast majority of street food is going to be deep fried and obviously this is not going to be healthy . You also notice with a lot of the curries that the meat has a lot of fat on it ( sometimes as much as half ) . I don't like that . Many people will also load things with MSG . If it is being cooked there and then you can tell them not to put it in but a lot of things are ready made already so you have no choice .

3) Size - I find the portions can be a bit on the small side .

4) Noodles - totally personal but I don't like noodles and a lot of street food is noodle based .

5) Taste - can be very hit and miss if it's actually any good or not .

The only street food I tend to eat would be a namtok or laaab where I can tell them to cut all the fat off the meat , it's not fried and the salad that comes with it is freshly washed .

Years of being in Thailand have made me quite fussy , and I've been spoiled by my wife for so long that if I'm eating street food then it will be because I have no other option .
Old Apr 3rd 2013, 4:11 pm
Just Joined

ontwo will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by saudivisa
Hi

I have been offered a BKK based Sales Managers job earning 100k baht a month, managing a team of Thai sales agents, the business is worth about 3 million GBP. Its a Brit firm.

Is this an ok salary for BKK and what should I be asking for in terms of accomoodation travel / flight allowances?

Thanks
100k baht a month is tight, but doable.

I lived there for 4 years and spent 250k baht a month, some people see that as over the top, but I did what I wanted to do and enjoyed my time there.

I could move there on 100k baht a month, but I would not be living it large.
Old Apr 3rd 2013, 6:35 pm
Yo

Originally Posted by ontwo
100k baht a month is tight, but doable.

I lived there for 4 years and spent 250k baht a month, some people see that as over the top, but I did what I wanted to do and enjoyed my time there.

I could move there on 100k baht a month, but I would not be living it large.
What kind of things did you do on your 250K/month?
Old Apr 3rd 2013, 9:34 pm
Just Joined

ontwo will become famous soon enough

What kind of things did you do on your 250K/month?
More to the point would be what kind of things you could do on far less.

Some people I know got by on 40/50k baht a month, but they did not go out much, on 100k baht a month, you could certainly go out more, but you would be budgeting.
Old Apr 4th 2013, 10:03 am

Originally Posted by ontwo
More to the point would be what kind of things you could do on far less.

Some people I know got by on 40/50k baht a month, but they did not go out much, on 100k baht a month, you could certainly go out more, but you would be budgeting.
Come on , don't be shy . What were you doing ' living it large ' on 250k a month . I'm curious . Expensive house / women / drugs / holidays ? or what ?

Give us a break down of an average month .
Old Apr 4th 2013, 1:56 pm
Yo

Originally Posted by nonthaburi
Come on , don't be shy . What were you doing ' living it large ' on 250k a month . I'm curious . Expensive house / women / drugs / holidays ? or what ?

Give us a break down of an average month .
+1

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.