Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Teaching
Reload this Page >

WA 457 When are we due an update

WA 457 When are we due an update

Old Apr 10th 2009, 11:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: WA 457 When are we due an update

The other thing to take into account, lots of the Aussies will not leave Perth. Hence they do not get a job when the graduate! You need to take these people into account when you hear graduates have not got jobs, and out of work teachers.
Rural towns are always going to be more in need, by rural I mean more than 2 hours away from Perth.

Gems
Old Apr 10th 2009, 3:06 pm
Forum Regular

Briar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by derekgoforth
hopefully WA will settle on a new visa for bringing teachers over, even create one especially for teachers ?
despite what has been said in this thread, there are a lot more than 4 part time vacancies in WA at the moment, vacancies will always need filling.

if it doesnt work out for you guys i hope something else fills the gap, maybe global warming will turn the south coast of the uk into the next gold coast!! heres hoping.

Derek - you are not a DET spokesperson.... you have no idea what is happening in WA and what the rest of us are being told!

You are hopefully going out on a PR visa that ties you to DET for what, 2 or 3 years? And they could place you anywhere! and if you dont like it, they can cancel your visa and you are "OUT" of Oz! Think very "remote" if they are having trouble finding teachers,

DETWA are not going to resurrect the 457 visa again.. have you read all the new rules for employers connected to that visa? They would be stupid to do so.

You obviously also do not have any idea of the employment situation in Australia, or Western Australia in particular, at present. HALLO DEREK!!!!! World recession has hit everywhere and WA do not need any teachers at all - have you thought that DETWA are just trying to honor job offers to teachers they thought they needed last year. Be grateful you have a job and stop gloating!

I too was part of the interview round with you in UK last year. The only thing hindering me was a reference from a head who was on long term sick leave, and who ultimately paid the final price and died. So I had to get another reference. My second reference wasn't quite as quick as it could have been and I missed the boat,

I could have been with you, but I am now so happy it went this way as I still have a permanent teaching position in England. The world stuff is crazy at present - this is so not the time to be emigrating anywhere as house prices are stupid. I so would not be wanting to sell my house at the moment, so I guess that things work out how they are meant to. So good luck Derek. I hope it works out for you in Western Australia.
Old Apr 10th 2009, 3:40 pm
Account Closed

derekgoforth is an unknown quantity at this point

I am never claimed to be a DET spokesman Mr briarton, why are you being so aggresive? I am used to your rude comments on facebook but i think this is a new low for you, (even lower than accusing me of groveling for my job in WA)
I am fully aware of the conditions attached to my visa, you are clearly not, your 'factual' comments are well off the mark i am afraid.

please point out my gloating, or anywhere that i have implied that i am not grateful for my job?

please remember this is a public forum and you have no control over who reads it.
Old Apr 11th 2009, 6:44 am
Living the dream!

kar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to all

Jesus, what have people got against Derek! The poor guy has been given a job and others haven't - such is life!! He isn't gloating, he is happy he is going and he has every right to be! I know of 3 vacancies in WA for his curricular area - 2 in Esperance and one in Northam. With regard to the jobs available in metro Perth - that is where we have been placed, so there is every chance that other sponsored teachers may be here.

I think rather than Derek gloating it is more of a case of sour grapes, as not everyone got to go!!
Old Apr 16th 2009, 5:22 pm
Just Joined

BarryHargo is an unknown quantity at this point

Any chance thread can get back on track now? I'm sure it wasn't created for gloating or sour grapes. I thought it was created so people could offer some pointers to each other.

I've been told to expect news in the none too distant future, from a Teacher in western aussie.
Old Apr 16th 2009, 5:30 pm
Just Joined

upthevilla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BarryHargo
Any chance thread can get back on track now? I'm sure it wasn't created for gloating or sour grapes. I thought it was created so people could offer some pointers to each other.

I've been told to expect news in the none too distant future, from a Teacher in western aussie.
Quite agree with your first point!
Sounds interesting that we might get some news soon. Hope you're right. Not heard anything for a few weeks.

Will
Old Apr 16th 2009, 5:40 pm
Account Closed

believe me i have tried to offer pointers and advice etc, its not easy when every bloody comment is followed by someone accusing you of gloating, being childish or not knowing what your talking about.

if anyone wants to PM me i will be happy to share our current visa progress, i am reluctant to do it on here for fear of upsetting the people who have been cancelled.
Old Apr 16th 2009, 5:57 pm
Just Joined

BarryHargo is an unknown quantity at this point

Not sure if how your visa is progressing is going to help those of us on hold. I hope it goes very smoothly for you, would much rather be in a position where it was clear what is going to happen, as you are. I'm hoping all the july intake goes well as this will help our case.
It would seem people are refraining from posting on here at present.
Really hope that people can feel free to post what they know, as it isn't supposed to be about settling scores.
Old Apr 20th 2009, 2:35 am
Forum Regular

lekkilizard is an unknown quantity at this point

I haven't been on the forum for ages and am absolutely shocked by what I have been reading.

In response I just want to add my own degree of financial reality to all of this if I may.

Please read carefully before adding any comments.

Like Hello WA we arrived in Perth in Jan 09. My OH has also had an awful time trying to gain employment. Today I have dropped him off to do some stock taking on a casual basis at a local camping store. He will do this for the next 2 days and then go onto an auto parts store and stock take for them. This weekend we have had friends visiting from other parts of WA. 3 of them are teachers so all employed. We sat at the table and folded leaflets for supermarkets and DIY stores and put them into bags. My OH got up at 6am to put them into letter boxes. He will do this again this coming weekend. This will net him AU$120 ( just under 60 quid ).

Back home (we both worked in education but I am the Teacher) we had a joint annual income of just under 100,000K before tax. OH left a well paid secure job to come chase the dream with me. Our income at present is AU$78,280 before tax. When converted to pounds sterling that is 38,000K. I am guessing you have done the maths so you appreciate that there is a 62,000K shortfall (AU$ 127,000)

Yes the weather here is better etc.. but the cost of living even with a subsided rent fro DET is very comparible to UK.

Yes we are here and before anyone shoots me down Yes we made those choices and Yes we would do it all over again however, all I am saying is that emigrating is not always as simple as we would want it to be despite whatever visa route we take.

I am saddened and compassionate for those who were interviewed and offered sponsorship and are on hold indefinately however, the reality is that this has not been easy. Far from it. We have been blessed and placed coastal 4hrs from Perth. However, if I am honest at the minute I am jealous of those of you still in the UK. Like Hello WA I have my OH wanting to work but not getting the opportunities because of the economic down turn. Despite being a well educated professional man who 6 months ago would have been snapped up by many employers here he is struggling to get basic employment. Seriously he will be applying for McDonalds and will be grateful if he gets the job !

The grass is not necessarily greener.

I hope those of you who are still patiently or not so patiently waiting hear something soon. Do not let your dreams die just appreciate they may come with a price tag !

Regards

N
Old Apr 20th 2009, 9:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lekkilizard
I haven't been on the forum for ages and am absolutely shocked by what I have been reading.

The grass is not necessarily greener.

I hope those of you who are still patiently or not so patiently waiting hear something soon. Do not let your dreams die just appreciate they may come with a price tag !

Regards

N
Shocked at what? All the friendly banter? Not what thread was mean't for but things go on that are not seen on here! But all in the past hopefully!

Much appreciate the time you took with very honest post. Did confirm a few fears I have about the move, really don't expect to earn in Aus what I do in the UK, but move isn't about being financially better off.
Are some with the rosetinted view of Aus, but I'd say most people going down this route appear to know what they're letting themselves in for.
Take it you've got no insider information when those of us who are on hold will be hearing something? . Not a good situation to be in, I'd say it'll be a fair few months more .

Hope things pick up for you and your other half, the recession won't be around forever, even though it does feel that way at present
Old Apr 20th 2009, 9:59 am
Account Closed

friendly banter? Don't think so.
Old Apr 20th 2009, 2:55 pm
Forum Regular

Briar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond repute

Well I guess we will know when DETWA know.

I am sure they are in the same turmoil that every other country in the world is at present.

I have family and colleagues in WA. Some of whom are employed by the Education Dept in West Australia, and they are all telling me that because of the global recession, no-one is retiring and teachers are returning to government positions from other industries. Hence no vacancies!

I guess this leaves all of us who were hoping for sponsorship to teach in rural WA in a very big NO hole. However I, along with so many of you, "have hung my hat on the hook" and hope that something will happen and eventually we will all achieve our dream.

Good Luck to everyone with their hat on the hook and I hope we meet in Western Australia!!
Richard
Old Apr 20th 2009, 3:44 pm
Account Closed

Well fingers crossed it all works out for us June 09 lot, hopefully it will open the door for a lot more suitable teachers to follow.
Old Apr 21st 2009, 3:04 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by derekgoforth
Well fingers crossed it all works out for us June 09 lot, hopefully it will open the door for a lot more suitable teachers to follow.
Derek - can you define "more suitable teachers". What do you mean by this? Suitable for what?
Old Apr 21st 2009, 5:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Briar
Derek - can you define "more suitable teachers". What do you mean by this? Suitable for what?
Already asked this question as is second time derek has posted it. Does seem an odd thing to say! He's given his answer earlier in the thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.