Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Teaching
Reload this Page >

WA 457 When are we due an update

WA 457 When are we due an update

Old Apr 9th 2009, 11:22 am
Account Closed

derekgoforth is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: WA 457 When are we due an update

no offence taken
Old Apr 9th 2009, 3:04 pm
Forum Regular

Hello WA is just really niceHello WA is just really niceHello WA is just really niceHello WA is just really niceHello WA is just really niceHello WA is just really niceHello WA is just really niceHello WA is just really niceHello WA is just really nice

Maybe you're not intentionally gloating, but it sure comes across that way. I came out here on the 457 in Jan and loving every minute of it, but if I were you I'd be awfully careful with this sense of security you're enjoying at the moment. Speaking as someone ACTUALLY working working in a WA school, the outlook is mega gloomy for Australian teachers I work with, so how much more "foreigners" whom the the Australian government do not see as priority in scheme of things right now. In Australia, unlike back in the UK, changes happen almost instantly, and just as you put about the proverbial rug being pulled, the very same thing could happen to you weeks before you're due to set out - laws and chaneges get passed mega swiftly here! An Austalian colleague that started work in the the same time as me at the start of the school term only found out in February that all he had was a job for ONE TERM, when he went to apply for a laptop from the school. They told him he coiuld not apply for the laptop cos he was only employed for one term! Yes he jaw nearly hit the ground. I know lots of other Australian teachers struggling to get reilef work! I'm a science teacher and in our department, ther is not 1 teacher that has a full time table. The most any of us has, is 0.8. We are 1.5 people over staffed in our dept, and maths are 2 people over (yes, maths).
I spoke to Sue a couple of weeks ago to ask her how come the Jun 09 cohort were being given PR status and howcome some weren't bein employed anymore. She said that new immigration laws have demanded for the 457 route to be stopped for teachers due to economic downturn and that the projected shortages had not matrialised. Also, that there is currently only 4 PART-TIME teaching posts available in all of WA and as these posts are in the metro region they don't know whta they'll do with the UK teachers when they come over! The Oz governmment are doin everything to protect Australian employees, so Mr Goforth don't start any celebrations until you actually get here.
To the rest of you, if possible (I know it's really hard), definately source for other routes to come over, while waiting for DET - hopefully things will pick again economically. My husband is finding it very difficult to find work because nearly all jobs, no matter how basic, are insisting on PR or Oz citizenship - he's become veeeery good at housework lately, lol!
All the very best to you all and feel free to ask me any questions you may have, and I'll try to help if I can.
Old Apr 9th 2009, 3:12 pm
Account Closed

could you please point out the gloating? i have expressed many times my encouragment, my best wishes and good luck for those who had the scheme cancelled/ defferred on them. i am also in contact with many teachers who are in FB who have asked my advice many many times.

i am not gloating , some of my friends have missed out ,(potentially) on coming in Jan 10. i find it quite irritating that defending oneself on this forum is automatically taken the wrong way.

but the written word is not very good at expressin emotion, never has been. I suggest that if people dont want to hear about the teachers going out in june, dont comment on my comments, seems pretty simple to me
Old Apr 9th 2009, 3:29 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Hello WA
Maybe you're not intentionally gloating, but it sure comes across that way. I came out here on the 457 in Jan and loving every minute of it, but if I were you I'd be awfully careful with this sense of security you're enjoying at the moment. Speaking as someone ACTUALLY working working in a WA school, the outlook is mega gloomy for Australian teachers I work with, so how much more "foreigners" whom the the Australian government do not see as priority in scheme of things right now. In Australia, unlike back in the UK, changes happen almost instantly, and just as you put about the proverbial rug being pulled, the very same thing could happen to you weeks before you're due to set out - laws and chaneges get passed mega swiftly here! An Austalian colleague that started work in the the same time as me at the start of the school term only found out in February that all he had was a job for ONE TERM, when he went to apply for a laptop from the school. They told him he coiuld not apply for the laptop cos he was only employed for one term! Yes he jaw nearly hit the ground. I know lots of other Australian teachers struggling to get reilef work! I'm a science teacher and in our department, ther is not 1 teacher that has a full time table. The most any of us has, is 0.8. We are 1.5 people over staffed in our dept, and maths are 2 people over (yes, maths).
I spoke to Sue a couple of weeks ago to ask her how come the Jun 09 cohort were being given PR status and howcome some weren't bein employed anymore. She said that new immigration laws have demanded for the 457 route to be stopped for teachers due to economic downturn and that the projected shortages had not matrialised. Also, that there is currently only 4 PART-TIME teaching posts available in all of WA and as these posts are in the metro region they don't know whta they'll do with the UK teachers when they come over! The Oz governmment are doin everything to protect Australian employees, so Mr Goforth don't start any celebrations until you actually get here.
To the rest of you, if possible (I know it's really hard), definately source for other routes to come over, while waiting for DET - hopefully things will pick again economically. My husband is finding it very difficult to find work because nearly all jobs, no matter how basic, are insisting on PR or Oz citizenship - he's become veeeery good at housework lately, lol!
All the very best to you all and feel free to ask me any questions you may have, and I'll try to help if I can.
do you really mean there are only four part time vacancies in WA at the moment? in the whole of WA? are you being serious?
Old Apr 9th 2009, 3:31 pm
Forum Regular

Hello WA is just really niceHello WA is just really niceHello WA is just really niceHello WA is just really niceHello WA is just really niceHello WA is just really niceHello WA is just really niceHello WA is just really niceHello WA is just really nice

I'm serious - straight from the DET
Originally Posted by derekgoforth
do you really mean there are only four part time vacancies in WA at the moment? in the whole of WA? are you being serious?
Old Apr 9th 2009, 3:34 pm
Account Closed

only four part time and no full time? really?
Old Apr 9th 2009, 3:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

I am afraid that someone has chosen to take any and every comment and blow it up out of proportion. as you can see Aussie bound! does have some issues with me that perhaps he shouldn't be venting on here.
Sorry derek asking for clarification on anything said on any forum isn't wrong. Wouldn't want to take offense at something that was not intended as that would be wrong wouldn't it?
A bit less vague would help and comment about people being suitable for the job? Still find that one an odd comment to have made?
Thanks for your imput on this thread, no hard feelings
Old Apr 9th 2009, 3:55 pm
Account Closed

like i said before paul, anyone is welcome to PM me if they want info, as a couple fo people have been.
Old Apr 9th 2009, 9:24 pm
Just Joined

upthevilla is an unknown quantity at this point

For the record I would just like to say that I have never found Derek to be anything but helpful and would certainly not say he has been gloating since being accepted to go to WA in July. Many of us are frustrated with the current situation but it is not helpful for us to start turning on one another. It sounds as if we could all be in for a bit of a wait and I for one am trying to be patient, but I am happy for others who are going out to WA in the near future, it gives me hope that we might not be tooo far behind.

Will
Old Apr 10th 2009, 2:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, remember the situation can be different regarding shortages in Primary and Secondary teaching. Needs can go up and down like a yo yo.

Some news on the net is saying Secondary no shortage but primary will have future shortages due to rising birth rates. However this is news items so cant guarantee this.

However if your a Primary teacher do not take circumstances that are happening for High Schools to be the same.

Gems
Old Apr 10th 2009, 7:28 am
Just Joined

upthevilla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Gems
Hi, remember the situation can be different regarding shortages in Primary and Secondary teaching. Needs can go up and down like a yo yo.

Some news on the net is saying Secondary no shortage but primary will have future shortages due to rising birth rates. However this is news items so cant guarantee this.

However if your a Primary teacher do not take circumstances that are happening for High Schools to be the same.

Gems
Thanks Gems,

Your comments are encouraging as ever! Still hopeful that DET WA is our best route - they are still saying that they are committed to employing us Primary Teachers, it's just a matter of when. Let's hope the economy picks up so it is sooner rather than later.

Will
Old Apr 10th 2009, 7:43 am
Account Closed

thanks Gems
Old Apr 10th 2009, 7:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by upthevilla
Thanks Gems,

Your comments are encouraging as ever! Still hopeful that DET WA is our best route - they are still saying that they are committed to employing us Primary Teachers, it's just a matter of when. Let's hope the economy picks up so it is sooner rather than later.

Will
Once Aus starts the mines up to full production again there will be lots of Teaching vacancies, as the big wages are very attractive. But personally still think the global recession will last this year out at least
Old Apr 10th 2009, 8:33 am
BE Forum Addict

hopefully WA will settle on a new visa for bringing teachers over, even create one especially for teachers ?
despite what has been said in this thread, there are a lot more than 4 part time vacancies in WA at the moment, vacancies will always need filling.

if it doesnt work out for you guys i hope something else fills the gap, maybe global warming will turn the south coast of the uk into the next gold coast!! heres hoping.
If the South coast of UK becomes the next gold coast, would say most of aus will resemble mars (more so than it does now) wouldn't be much of a desination then
Old Apr 10th 2009, 8:40 am
Account Closed

I'll put a deposit down for my spacesuit now. have always wanted a deep tan!

didn't they test the mars rover in the kiberleys?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.