Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Teaching
Reload this Page >

Thinking of teaching in Australia - don't

Thinking of teaching in Australia - don't

Old Feb 17th 2009, 7:20 pm
Forum Regular

daddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to all
Default Re: Thinking of teaching in Australia - don't

Hi All,
Just as a matter of interest when the term 'rural' is mentioned would you consider places like Secret Harbour, Rockingham and Ocean Reef etc as rural? If not can you give some egs of what areas you consider to be rural please? I normally think of a 2+ plus hour drive away from places such as Rockingham and Perth but other times I have the impression places like Rockingham ae considered to be rural??? Please help to clarify.
Old Feb 17th 2009, 8:17 pm
Capt Hilts

coolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by daddyofthree
Hi All,
Just as a matter of interest when the term 'rural' is mentioned would you consider places like Secret Harbour, Rockingham and Ocean Reef etc as rural? If not can you give some egs of what areas you consider to be rural please? I normally think of a 2+ plus hour drive away from places such as Rockingham and Perth but other times I have the impression places like Rockingham ae considered to be rural??? Please help to clarify.
I think they are not rural.

Try Broome, Karratha, Geraldton, Esperance and Kalgoorlie. Reading on BE, people have been placed closer but I reckon it's not likely. I would look these places up, if I was single, I'd loved the experience but got four young children and want a perm visa.

Cooler
Old Feb 17th 2009, 8:48 pm
Forum Regular

daddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to all

Thanks Cooler,
I'm in a similar position ie 3 kids and wanting a PR but I have been told to expect working in arural place for a year or so before I have a chance of being accepted!!
Thaks
Old Feb 18th 2009, 8:13 am
Just Joined

pricey74 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by coolerkingcooler
Hi pricey74,
look through the teaching section and look for any threads along the lines of WA 457 visa etc.

Gems and a few others have posted a fair bit about rural teaching in WA - that's what you'll get with the program they have run until recently. You can try google by typing the state.gov eg victoria.gov then you'll see the Victoria's immigration website and you'll need to see if your on a sponsor list as Primary teaching isn't on the MODL or CSL. Basically read lots of info

Good luck,
Cooler
many thanks for your quick response!!!!,

I will keep reading!!!

Old Mar 3rd 2009, 3:34 am
Just Joined

grammyjadav is an unknown quantity at this point
Red face Re: Thinking of teaching in Australia - don't

Originally Posted by annieapplepie
Hello Daddyofthree,
In WA you will get a job. You might not get a job in other Aus states because you would be at the top of the salary scale for a teacher. You might get some short-term contract work.
In WA the jobs available are the jobs that the Aussie teachers don't want. Look on the PLATOWA website for details of the living conditions in those communities. You would probably find yourself teaching out of your subject area.
As for your children - remote WA is not England. You can't expect to live an English lifestyle there. Your kids will not have the lives of English children. What sort of lives they have will depend on the community to which you are sent. Living in a remote community could be a terrific experience for a child, providing them with skills and experiance that will change their lives. Or it could be unpleasant.
You have a great house and job in England. But you have decided to step off the edge.
If you really want to do this, be ready for difference and to be open to enjoying the differences.
The remote life may be a shock at first.
I migrated in 1974 and in those days I thought that the Sunshine Coast in Queensland was a remote, boring sort of hell. Actually I still do.
But I spent three years living on Thursday Island (between Aus and PNG). A lot of things went wrong for me there. But I feel really, really feel lucky to have had the experience of life on T.I.. It was terrific. And I just love the space and the light and the warmth over here in Aus now. I could never return to the dark, gloomy, cold cities of Europe.
So, Daddyofthree - you will win some and you will lose some. You are jumping off the edge.
Thank you for the information. I am willing to get WA sponsorship, but my experience has outdated, i.e. last taught in March 2005. I and my wife both are M.A.B.Ed. with English Literature and she too does not have recent exp. I am now in Medical Transcription.

Is anyone here hopeful about me getting WA 457 if they open again for secondary teachers?