Teaching in USA

Old Jun 11th 2012, 9:07 pm
Just Joined

mdcrow is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Teaching in USA

Hello, I am getting married to a USC and moving over to the states (probably Philadelphia, PA). I am a primary school teacher (I have a history BA and a GTP teaching qualification).

Does anyone know how my GTP teaching qualification is likely to translate in PA (or in any other state for that matter?) does anyone have any experience of independent schools in the states? Are they likely to be more accepting of my qualifications?

I have previously applied for a job at the British Schools of America, and may well try again.

I would be very grateful to hear from anyone who has been in a similar situation to me. Everything I read about getting teaching jobs in the states is rather gloomy so it would be useful if anyone could offer any information.

Thanks.
Old Jul 11th 2012, 2:00 pm
Just Joined

manyiwo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Teaching in USA

Hi

Teaching at the pre-College level is far harder as your qualifications will not transfer. That is the case within the US as well as each state has a separate Dept of Ed with separate qualifications. Your best place to start would be the Dept of Ed for PA and then the Fulbright Commission. Some states (like Tennessee) have loopholes that allow you to teach at a private school while you get your teaching qualification.

If you are still in the UK go to the UK/US Fulbright Commission, they are incredibly knowledgeable and their service is free.
http://www.fulbright.org.uk/

Not much help I know but it's a start!

Best
Melissa