Old May 5th 2005, 3:56 pm
Just Joined

spud1980 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default teaching in the uk

hiya guys!
im planning to get a job in teaching in the uk
im wondering what steps should i take :
-i already got my teaching certificates compared by UK NARIC
-im an oversease trainedteacher (outside the EEA) thefore i have to get a QTS in england- but i have the option of working in the uk withoutr a QTS and working as a temporary teacher for 4 years - but i prefare to get aQTS... how can i get aQTS ???
THNX HEAPS!!!
Old May 5th 2005, 5:51 pm
Just Joined

c.harbinson is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: teaching in the uk

Originally Posted by spud1980
hiya guys!
im planning to get a job in teaching in the uk
im wondering what steps should i take :
-i already got my teaching certificates compared by UK NARIC
-im an oversease trainedteacher (outside the EEA) thefore i have to get a QTS in england- but i have the option of working in the uk withoutr a QTS and working as a temporary teacher for 4 years - but i prefare to get aQTS... how can i get aQTS ???
THNX HEAPS!!!
Have a look at these web sites

http://www.teach.gov.uk/php/read.php?sectionid=134
http://www.fasttrackteaching.gov.uk/...=article&ID=68

regards

Carl
Old May 5th 2005, 6:28 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by c.harbinson
thnx carl
i have already checked out the teach.gov.uk website but i dont really get the steps ... they are not clear abt it. they mentioned things like taking literacy arithmetic and ITC exams prior to going on a teacher training program...
im mixed up....
Old May 7th 2005, 4:11 pm
Just Joined

boxerbabe101 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there

I am a teacher in the UK and can give you the info you need.

QTS means qualified teacher status which will depend on your qualifications in your own country and how they compare over here.

Part of getting QTS is to take literacy, numeracy and IT tests to ensure you are up to a good standard of education yourself. The training program they mention is probably Graduate Teacher, do you have a teaching or other type of degree? This is a one year program where you work in school for a year alongside a qualified teacher and are paid a salary. You have to pass the tests already mentioned, put together a file of your experience and show the teacher and assessors that you a competent teacher. In some cases the year could be reduced due to other experience etc but you will have to check that out.

By the way - are you sure you want to teach over here? You really should do some research to check that it is for you.

Hope this helps.
Old May 12th 2005, 12:11 pm
Just Joined

Exclamation Re: teaching in the uk

Originally Posted by boxerbabe101
Hi there

I am a teacher in the UK and can give you the info you need.

QTS means qualified teacher status which will depend on your qualifications in your own country and how they compare over here.

Part of getting QTS is to take literacy, numeracy and IT tests to ensure you are up to a good standard of education yourself. The training program they mention is probably Graduate Teacher, do you have a teaching or other type of degree? This is a one year program where you work in school for a year alongside a qualified teacher and are paid a salary. You have to pass the tests already mentioned, put together a file of your experience and show the teacher and assessors that you a competent teacher. In some cases the year could be reduced due to other experience etc but you will have to check that out.

By the way - are you sure you want to teach over here? You really should do some research to check that it is for you.

Hope this helps.
thnx boxerbabe!
i have recently got my qualification assessed by NARIC and they said that my degree in education is equivalent to the british bachelor degree.
i emailed the overseas trained teacher program to see if im eligible to go for their ottprogram to get the QTS they said no bec i not a qualified teacher in my home country!!!! i dont really understand it!!! i hold a BA in education and i work in my country as an official teacher, and NARIC has given me the equivalence for my degree...how could the ottp say that ? am i missing something out?
plz help me

Last edited by spud1980; May 12th 2005 at 12:13 pm. Reason: typo
Old May 21st 2005, 12:50 am
Forum Regular

Dant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud ofDant3 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by spud1980
thnx boxerbabe!
i have recently got my qualification assessed by NARIC and they said that my degree in education is equivalent to the british bachelor degree.
i emailed the overseas trained teacher program to see if im eligible to go for their ottprogram to get the QTS they said no bec i not a qualified teacher in my home country!!!! i dont really understand it!!! i hold a BA in education and i work in my country as an official teacher, and NARIC has given me the equivalence for my degree...how could the ottp say that ? am i missing something out?
plz help me
In the UK you have the option of getting a BA in education that includes techer training, or if you already have a degree in another subject, you can take a 1-year PGCE (Post Graduate CErtificate of Education).

Every country is very specific about the quality of a teachers own education, and for good reason, as not every country's BA is the academic equivalent of Britains. It would seem by what you have said, that while your degree is recognised as such in the UK, your teaching qualification is not. This is not uncommon. I suspect that you would be required to take a PGCE course that would include the classes required to gain QTS.

My advise is to look into colleges that offer PGCS courses and see if you are eligable to attend with your currect qualifications. By the way, if you are not from the EU, are you legally allowed to work in the UK?