Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Teaching
Reload this Page >

Teaching pupils using a ipad.

Teaching pupils using a ipad.

Old Sep 10th 2011, 5:28 am
Capt Hilts

coolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond repute
Default Teaching pupils using a ipad.

Anyone got any experience of using one and the pupils have them as well? I have been offered the chance to do this next year and said yes. As they want a core group using them, I'll have to teach three subjects with them. I am very much in laptop Office camp, but any input into using them would be great.

I'll be teaching Maths, Science and possibly one other subject.

Cheers,
Cooler
Old Sep 11th 2011, 8:51 pm
'Made in Ulster' Member

Location: Brisbane, QLD. (Though an Ulster girl through and through!)
Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Teaching pupils using a ipad.

Originally Posted by coolerkingcooler
Anyone got any experience of using one and the pupils have them as well? I have been offered the chance to do this next year and said yes. As they want a core group using them, I'll have to teach three subjects with them. I am very much in laptop Office camp, but any input into using them would be great.

Cheers,
Cooler
I've just used my own iPad to show the kids photographs rather than print them out. Apart from that, not in any great depth but I'd say the possibilities are endless! I could put you in touch with a bloke on FB who might be able to assist you further, he's an expat teacher working in WA I think?
Old Sep 20th 2011, 12:58 pm
Capt Hilts

coolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jen1977ni
I've just used my own iPad to show the kids photographs rather than print them out. Apart from that, not in any great depth but I'd say the possibilities are endless! I could put you in touch with a bloke on FB who might be able to assist you further, he's an expat teacher working in WA I think?
That would be great Jen, would have to be Mrs C's FB as I am just too popular to have my own account

Mark
Old Sep 20th 2011, 10:16 pm
'Made in Ulster' Member

Location: Brisbane, QLD. (Though an Ulster girl through and through!)
Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute

That would be great Jen, would have to be Mrs C's FB as I am just too popular to have my own account

Mark
Pm me ur email addy and I'll get him to email u...
Old Sep 21st 2011, 5:16 am
Forum Regular

blackjack041 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jen1977ni

Hey coolerkingcooler , I'm the guy in WA! I am head of IT and Design in a school south of Perth! We have been piloting iPads this year, with some Active Research happening as well in conjunction with a Uni. We have a number of iPad Coaches and Mentors who are working closely with staff. We are just having our first Parent meeting tonight outlining our 1:1 program for years 7-12. If you want to chat, any info or promotional stuff then I'd be happy to email it to you etc... We are also replacing our promethean boards in senior school with 50 inch LCDs! It is gutting edge stuff! Happy to help in anyway! We are looking at rolling out 50 ipads to staff with an additional 400 to students in 2012!

Cheers

Pete.
Old Sep 22nd 2011, 11:45 am
Capt Hilts

Originally Posted by blackjack041
Hey coolerkingcooler , I'm the guy in WA! I am head of IT and Design in a school south of Perth! We have been piloting iPads this year, with some Active Research happening as well in conjunction with a Uni. We have a number of iPad Coaches and Mentors who are working closely with staff. We are just having our first Parent meeting tonight outlining our 1:1 program for years 7-12. If you want to chat, any info or promotional stuff then I'd be happy to email it to you etc... We are also replacing our promethean boards in senior school with 50 inch LCDs! It is gutting edge stuff! Happy to help in anyway! We are looking at rolling out 50 ipads to staff with an additional 400 to students in 2012!

Cheers

Pete.
Wow, that does sound very progressive. I'll pm you my email address and ask from 1 to many questions!

Cheers,
Cooler
Old Sep 22nd 2011, 11:53 am
Forum Regular

micged has a brilliant futuremicged has a brilliant futuremicged has a brilliant futuremicged has a brilliant futuremicged has a brilliant futuremicged has a brilliant futuremicged has a brilliant future

All the yr 9s and 10s in my son's school have just been given ipads by the school to use.
At the school I work at we have class sets of them, as well as class sets of itouch, tablets - pretty much everything. Teachers use them however they are required - the english dept use the ipods a lot, the science and maths the tablets and ipads - it is certainly the way things are going.
Old Sep 22nd 2011, 11:57 am
Capt Hilts

Originally Posted by micged
All the yr 9s and 10s in my son's school have just been given ipads by the school to use.
At the school I work at we have class sets of them, as well as class sets of itouch, tablets - pretty much everything. Teachers use them however they are required - the english dept use the ipods a lot, the science and maths the tablets and ipads - it is certainly the way things are going.
Thanks for your post (pm'd blackjack041).

It really does seem that there is a quick change happening. The ipads/tablets seem favourable to laptops for weight and battery life etc. Cheap/free aps as well I guess - text books.

Cheers,
Cooler
Old Feb 12th 2012, 12:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Mochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers,
Cooler
Cooler you might want to come along to some of the PD events offerend by CEGSA. The AGM this year (i March at the EDC) is all about ipads and there are three other courses in Term 1 too. One looking at Chris Bennie's use of them up in Stirling East and another looking specifically at LOTE teaching. Here's the link: http://www.cegsa.sa.edu.au/