Teaching in Oz

Old Apr 20th 2004, 9:11 am
Forum Regular

Brian & Lou is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Teaching in Oz

Hi,

We are hoping to emigrate out to Oz early next year on Brian's skills, but I have alays wanted to be a teacher and want to know if anyone out there can tell me what I would have to do. I am still at home finishing raising my kids up to school age but am hoping to train and work next year. I have a degree in English just need a PGCE. Is it the same system over there or do they train teachers differently? I ideally want to work in Key Stage 2 (7-11years) but anything in Primary would do. Thanks for any advice you lot, anything will help!!:lecture: :lecture: :lecture:
Old Apr 25th 2004, 11:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

jasper pentop is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Teaching in Oz

Originally posted by Brian & Lou
Hi,

We are hoping to emigrate out to Oz early next year on Brian's skills, but I have alays wanted to be a teacher and want to know if anyone out there can tell me what I would have to do. I am still at home finishing raising my kids up to school age but am hoping to train and work next year. I have a degree in English just need a PGCE. Is it the same system over there or do they train teachers differently? I ideally want to work in Key Stage 2 (7-11years) but anything in Primary would do. Thanks for any advice you lot, anything will help!!:lecture: :lecture: :lecture:
I teach the same year group. Basically you need a post grad degree or a one year diploma (but I suspect that may only be for secondary teachers)

Postgrad degrees vary. Mine was 18mths - one of the shortest - most are 2 years.....

However if u qualify here, it may be different. HOwever, after working here three years, with two degrees, my qualifications are not recognised by the english system, and when i go home, none of my experience will count towards my teachers registration. Figures hey.
Old May 4th 2004, 1:38 am
rudo1ph

Originally posted by jasper pentop
I teach the same year group. Basically you need a post grad degree or a one year diploma (but I suspect that may only be for secondary teachers)

Postgrad degrees vary. Mine was 18mths - one of the shortest - most are 2 years.....

However if u qualify here, it may be different. HOwever, after working here three years, with two degrees, my qualifications are not recognised by the english system, and when i go home, none of my experience will count towards my teachers registration. Figures hey.

:scared: really!!! So if I was to follow this same route......have my UK degree assessed and do the diploma I wouldn't be qualified to teach in the UK?? Do you have any more info on this - where did you find this out from?

Thanks

Rudi

Old May 4th 2004, 9:48 am
BE Enthusiast

jasper pentop is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by rudo1ph
:scared: really!!! So if I was to follow this same route......have my UK degree assessed and do the diploma I wouldn't be qualified to teach in the UK?? Do you have any more info on this - where did you find this out from?

Thanks

Rudi

I think u may have misunderstood, I am aussie, my qualifications arent properly recognised here (but they still let u teach) but my experience here wont count towards the end of my provisional teacher registration when I go home....
Have a look at the decs webpage in Aus http://www.decs.sa.gov.au/ that is for the south aussie one, each state has a different set of rules, regulations blah blah blah