Teaching employment

Old Feb 25th 2008, 8:18 am
Forum Regular

foxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nice
Default Re: Teaching employment

Hi,

Merit-select jobs can be found at
http://www.det.wa.edu.au/jobs.asp#2

Most schools in popular areas are opting for merit-select now, just 'cos it gives them a smidgen more power in regards to having a say in their staff. It is a frustrating system though!

Good luck,
Gemma
Old Feb 25th 2008, 8:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by foxall22
Hi,

Merit-select jobs can be found at
http://www.det.wa.edu.au/jobs.asp#2

Most schools in popular areas are opting for merit-select now, just 'cos it gives them a smidgen more power in regards to having a say in their staff. It is a frustrating system though!

Good luck,
Gemma
One wonders if part of the "merit" is the fact that they can also choose teachers which are going to cost them less out of their budget - I know of several teachers in country Vic who have been absolute stars with a swag of specializations who have been unable to get jobs because they are at the top of the pay scale compared with a newbie who is at the bottom of it. It's a real catch 22 and I dont know of any state that has got it really right!
Old Feb 25th 2008, 9:50 am
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quoll
One wonders if part of the "merit" is the fact that they can also choose teachers which are going to cost them less out of their budget - I know of several teachers in country Vic who have been absolute stars with a swag of specializations who have been unable to get jobs because they are at the top of the pay scale compared with a newbie who is at the bottom of it. It's a real catch 22 and I dont know of any state that has got it really right!
Same as in UK there then - I heard the same complaints from some excellent 'mature' colleagues there. Suits me though, as a relative youngster! Hope I'm still in NSW when they change all the rules!
Old Feb 26th 2008, 8:04 pm
Forum Regular

SammyT is just really niceSammyT is just really niceSammyT is just really niceSammyT is just really niceSammyT is just really niceSammyT is just really niceSammyT is just really niceSammyT is just really niceSammyT is just really nice

Originally Posted by Libby1971
Hi

AEI/NOOSR were the skills assessing body for teachers. I think they have been replaced with Teaching Australia.

You will need certified copies of all your documentation for the teacher registration process in your state plus all the same documents for your registration into the state system - or at least that is how it works here in SA.

If you go to a private school, as there is no central assessing body, the head of payroll does it so you need all your documents for them to have a look at every time you change job - although in fairness they do give them back.

In SA you can see the justice of the peace and get your documents done for free (within reason) which is handy, done there and then. Of course when you walk in with 3 copies of everything to be signed, best do it in smaller visits!!!!

Teaching in SA is frustrating. There is no shortage that I can detect in metro areas i.e. closer to the city. However as migrants we cannot afford to go off into more regional areas to teach, or the vast majority, as we stay nearer to civilisation for the sake of our kids. I am generalising here so please don't attack me! I know teachers working as carers, nurses, and one was offered work as an unqualified childcare assistant!!!!!! $12 an hour for a teacher with about 20 years experience, shocking...

Permanent work is hard to come by and with so many teachers coming in off the boat so to speak, there are plenty to choose from. I tried to get work for when I got here from the UK but at each school, I was told to wait until I got here and then apply. They would not consider me as a candidate until I was in Australia.

Libby
Thanks for that Libby, any information will be gratefully received. Hubby thinks that I should stop obsessing and what will be will be! I guess he is right but can't help worrying.

esperanza - I think you're right about the system in the UK being about saving pay, but I do think from the sounds of it you have a better chance of securing full time permanent employment in the UK than in Aus.

I think I'll just ride the wave and see what course it takes me - This is what I'm telling myself but in reality this is not going to happen. I'm still going to check out the website that Gemma has put on the thread.