Teaching in Abu Dhabi

Old Oct 30th 2011, 12:20 pm
Just Joined

chris_uel is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Teaching in Abu Dhabi

Hi everyone.

I am considering a move from England to Abu Dhabi and teaching there. I am a primary school teacher (ages 7-11) and have experienced infant age teaching. I have been teaching for about 6 years now - year 5 for 1 and a half years, and year 3 for 4 years. In between, I have been on supply. I am currently working in a Brethren school (although I am not Brethren - if you know their ethos, you would understand).

Before I head off out to Abu Dhabi, I need to know where to start! I am basically looking for someone to guide me through and answer any questions I have.

So a bit about me. I am 32. I spent 6 weeks in Abu Dhabi when I was 15 as my dad worked there but not in teaching. I am getting married next year and planning on taking my future wife with me. She is not a teacher and would be coming along for the ride so to speak. So now I will just ask questions and see what happens...

Who should I look to in order to get a teaching position? I have looked at teachaway. Are they my only option?

How long would a visa take and how much would it cost?

I just need some direction to get me started and any experiences from other teachers would be great.

Many thanks, Chris.
Old Apr 12th 2012, 9:18 pm
Just Joined

banoffee pie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Teaching in Abu Dhabi

Teach away is one and Teach anywhere is another. You can also look on TES which has quite a few jobs. Most tell you the packages they include.It's easier for you as you are getting married. I am looking to move to Abu Dhabi in September but I am a single mum....how do I get around this, and does anyone have any other advice about getting a job out there as I am on a mission!!
Old Apr 13th 2012, 8:50 am
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by banoffee pie
Teach away is one and Teach anywhere is another. You can also look on TES which has quite a few jobs. Most tell you the packages they include.It's easier for you as you are getting married. I am looking to move to Abu Dhabi in September but I am a single mum....how do I get around this, and does anyone have any other advice about getting a job out there as I am on a mission!!
I can't help with you question as I am in the US but I wanted to stop by and say hi and welcome you to our community.

Try posting in our Middle East forum and also read through some of the threads in that section as I'm sure you will pick up a few tips that way.

Welcome again and if you get stuck on anything on the site please give me a shout.
Old Apr 13th 2012, 8:56 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the advice I will!
Old Apr 13th 2012, 10:24 am
Just Joined

This was so long ago now! I am much more wiser now and am off to Qatar.

As for your own situation, head off to TES and ask there. That is where I got all my info from!

Thanks, Chris.

And on another note, please do not go near ADEC in Abu Dhabi if you can avoid it...I read one girl was travelling 5 hours a day just to work and her accommodation was sub standard. (Source - TES Forums)

Last edited by chris_uel; Apr 13th 2012 at 10:31 am.
Old Apr 15th 2012, 12:10 pm
Forum Regular

khitan004 is just really nicekhitan004 is just really nicekhitan004 is just really nicekhitan004 is just really nicekhitan004 is just really nicekhitan004 is just really nicekhitan004 is just really nicekhitan004 is just really nice

In terms of lifestyle I would have thought Abu Dhabi to be better than Qatar. Qatar is much more conservative in terms of western lifestyle that AD and it is your wife who will feel this especially if she is not working.
Old Apr 15th 2012, 4:26 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the advice Chris! I actually have an interview with ADEC soon so am now a bit worried!!! Can I ask where you managed to get your job...was it through TES?
Old Apr 15th 2012, 7:02 pm
Just Joined

@banoffee pie - Hi, yeah was through TES site. Have found that to be a good site and near on the only one for jobs. Trouble with a lot of agencies and some countries is that documents need attesting and a medical is needed and it can be very costly even though some do offer you some money back, it doesn't seem to cover it. If you want any advice, please do ask me and I will be honest with you.

@khitan004 - the wife is a teaching assistant and will be working as well. Abu Dhabi was the initial idea. However, I decided to widen my opportunities so included Qatar in my search. We are not naive and are ready to follow the rules.

We have respect for other cultures and yes it may be a bit of a culture shock but try living in the UK... 8.39 SAR for a litre of petrol, 20% Value Added Tax on nearly everything, taxes on alcohol, cigarettes, even sausage rolls now. Then my salary - I lose around 3565 SAR a month to tax. I am fed up of the UK!

And then the other day, I walked in to my local town. There were 5 or 6 people outside of a restaurant - all wearing gold rings and other gold jewellery, all fat (and I am not being nasty), all having food and drinks and I bet that not one of them work - I pay for people like that through my taxes. I am sick of it!!! Sorry about the rant but the UK is going all wrong!!!
Old Apr 20th 2012, 2:34 pm
Forum Regular

citybanklondon is an unknown quantity at this point

Chris,

To work as a teacher in Abu Dhabi - this is perhaps the best time and teachaway are a good try as they have most contracts esp with ADEC, but apply direct to BISAD, Brighton college, Al Yasmina school, ENS (emirates nationalo school) you can google these and they all pay okay and the contracts are quite similar. If you fancy Al Ain 160km away then try Al Ain english speaking school. Hope this helps.....good luck.
Old Apr 20th 2012, 3:50 pm
Just Joined

Thanks but as I said earlier, I am already off to Qatar. I am a primary teacher and ADEC do not want male teachers in primary, only secondary!
Old May 4th 2012, 5:13 am
Forum Regular

brianK88 is an unknown quantity at this point

Tough Luck then, but you also try at other private agencies recruiting primary teachers, in the middle east.
Old Dec 18th 2012, 10:18 am
Forum Regular

lledlledlled is just really nicelledlledlled is just really nicelledlledlled is just really nicelledlledlled is just really nicelledlledlled is just really nicelledlledlled is just really nicelledlledlled is just really nicelledlledlled is just really nice

Originally Posted by khitan004
In terms of lifestyle I would have thought Abu Dhabi to be better than Qatar. Qatar is much more conservative in terms of western lifestyle that AD and it is your wife who will feel this especially if she is not working.
Hi,

Can you outline the differences in customs regarding women in Qatar, as opposed to Abu Dhabi or Dubai?

My wife is a Primary School Teacher and we are toying with the idea of moving to the Middle East. For her sake, we'd like to avoid cultures that are overly oppressive towards women.

Also, is she likely to find work? She has one year teaching experience.

Thanks.
Old Dec 18th 2012, 10:52 am
Forum Regular

citybanklondon is an unknown quantity at this point

she must find work before coming as then she will have a sponsor and will get a visa sent to her on which she travels to the UAE. It is hard to find jobs in schools now as the year starts in September but nothing to lose by sending CV's to the best english schools in Abu Dhabi.