Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Teaching
Reload this Page >

Is teaching abroad after my PGCE a good idea?

Is teaching abroad after my PGCE a good idea?

Old Apr 14th 2013, 8:58 pm
Just Joined

Fabbiano is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Is teaching abroad after my PGCE a good idea?

I am currently doing my Primary PGCE which I hope to finish by July this year. I am nearly 22 years old and have been in my education in England without ever having taken a gap year. I was now thinking of going abroad (maybe the Middle East) to teach starting in 2013. I then want to come back and start my NQT year in 2014. I thought it would be a good idea to start it then since that's when they introduce the new curriculum. I'm hoping this way, I will easily adapt to it (rather then doing the old curriculum in 2013 and then the new one in 2014). This was just a thought, I don't know if it's actually true. Anyway I have a few questions:

Is it a good idea to do this? I just want a break and would really like the experience even though it's a big step.
Will it be beneficial for my confidence or career to work abroad?
If I work abroad will I have problems looking for an NQT post when I get back? People say it's better to get the NQT year out the way first, but I just don't want to go through all the interviews to get an NQT post, complete it, leave it to go abroad for a year, and then come back to look for a job again.

I'm worried about getting an NQT post in the first place because a lot of people on the PGCE have worked (as teaching assistants or in other areas) so they seem more confident. The only experience I had was in retail when I was 16. Before the PGCE I studied 3 years for my degree.