Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Teaching
Reload this Page >

teacher training for a visa?

teacher training for a visa?

Old Aug 31st 2011, 8:24 am
Forum Regular

JENNYMG is an unknown quantity at this point
Default teacher training for a visa?

hi quick question for all

would we be crazy to apply for a teaching qualification course and move to australia in the hope that when finished i'd get a job in order to get a visa to stay?

hubby wants to move to oz, i want to train to be a teacher so is it worth investigating a combination of the two? I know primary school is off most of skills needed lists but I would be wanting to train in early years teaching so does this enhance my chances of staying?

your advice is greatly appreciated as it is possible that it is such a crazy idea.
thanks

jenny
Old Aug 31st 2011, 12:32 pm
Forum Regular

hilasbat is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: teacher training for a visa?

The problem with future-looking with Australia (imho) is that it seems to change every 5 minutes - we have only really been caught up in it all since Feb this year and there has been one massive visa system change (which came in in July), when they apparently had a big change a year or two ago anyway - there is another massive change planning for next year (the EOI system), and there has also been countless little tweaks to State Migration Plans for State Sponsorship etc in the meantime.

Through all those changes early years have been on the lists, but that could change - at the moment they do need them because they just changed the rules so that you had to be a qualified teacher to be in front of an early years class, whereas before you didn't need too, and obviously as its just changing over there is a little dip. In a few years time (if you were to train in Australia it would be 5 years - 4 years for the course and you would need 12 months experience after qualifying, if in the UK at least 3 if you already have an undergrad degree, as you have missed the boat for courses starting this year, so would need to apply for next year, then need 12 months experience) who knows what the situation will be?

Generally it seems to advice is - if you want to do it anyway, go for it. But to do it just to get a visa is a risky move, and don't be too upset if things change in the meantime. Do you know how you would qualify to be there before you were eligible as a teacher (you say how your husband wants to be there now)? International fees are very expensive to study over there.