teacher payscale in oz

Old Feb 27th 2005, 7:41 am
Forum Regular

ahoy has a brilliant futureahoy has a brilliant futureahoy has a brilliant futureahoy has a brilliant futureahoy has a brilliant futureahoy has a brilliant futureahoy has a brilliant future
Default Re: teacher payscale in oz

Originally Posted by linda_clarky
I was just checking my grammar, before posting.
oh stop it!
Old Feb 27th 2005, 4:37 pm
Forum Regular

JG04 is just really niceJG04 is just really niceJG04 is just really niceJG04 is just really niceJG04 is just really niceJG04 is just really niceJG04 is just really niceJG04 is just really niceJG04 is just really niceJG04 is just really niceJG04 is just really nice

Linda,
I have to say I'm feeling more positive after reading your helpful advice. Glad to hear the teaching side of it is enjoyable. I taught in the East end of Glasgow for a while, it was interesting! Did really enjoy it though. Ended up in a tough school in the South East of England and felt like giving it all up but am now lucky enough to teach a lovely group of kids. Want to keep enjoying the job when I move out there. Thanks again.

Originally Posted by linda_clarky
The police check is just a tick box exercise. I'd been in South Australia for two days, and they still wanted me to have a police check done. They didn't want to see my clean police record from Scotland, where I had spent the past 35 years, with a clean criminal record. Its the usual story about appropriate checks carried out on those who work with children.

Its not a bad idea to get another police check done in the uk. It substantiates your lack of criminal record. Although the private school which hired me assumed that everything must be ok as I'd been allowed to emigrate and then get my South Australia teaching registration, so they didn't ask me to do a further police check (some people do have common sense).

The government agencies just tick all the appropriate boxes. I had to fill out one form again, because the one that I had downloaded and filled in was the wrong one. I was informed that the wrong document had been posted on their website and I had to fill out exactly the same info on a form that said "Teacher" at the top. This set me back around 4 weeks! Talk about bureaucracy.

Like I said in my previous post, I'm finding it a breeze compared to teaching in state schools in Scotland. I'm not taking it too seriously and getting by! Give it a go, you have nothing to lose.
Old Mar 2nd 2005, 12:06 pm
Forum Regular

jaxowen will become famous soon enoughjaxowen will become famous soon enough

Hi Linda
thanks for all your helpful advice - sorry for not responding sooner, have just got back from holiday (new york v.v. cold this time fo year!! but the shopping was still good )
glad too hear that your life style has improved re: work/life balance, I have to say that is one of the main driving forces in our plan to emigrate.

just one last question - do they use english or U.S. spellings?

Oh and one more to any one in general - does anyone know where i can get some australian traditional rhymes, nursery stories etc. - ks1 teachers need plenty of these up our sleeves

thanks again
Jacqui
Old Mar 6th 2005, 3:22 am
Forum Regular

LindyLoo is a jewel in the roughLindyLoo is a jewel in the roughLindyLoo is a jewel in the roughLindyLoo is a jewel in the roughLindyLoo is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by jaxowen
Hi Linda

thanks again
Jacqui

English. Neighbours is still Neigbours over here.
Old Mar 6th 2005, 3:27 am
Forum Regular

LindyLoo is a jewel in the roughLindyLoo is a jewel in the roughLindyLoo is a jewel in the roughLindyLoo is a jewel in the roughLindyLoo is a jewel in the rough

Hi Linda

thanks again
Jacqui

English. Neighbours is still Neigbours over here.
Old Apr 15th 2005, 9:59 am
Just Joined

Billy Borrell is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Vikk

My names Billy, this is my first post - you are blessed! I have just been reading your description on teaching qualifications. I took a 3 year degree in a totally unrelated subject to teaching, but decided to do a post grad one year conversion course - Why I'll never know! - and now teach future gangsters in East London! I am unsure if you are required to actually do a full degree or is the conversion ok?

Ripper!

Billy

Originally Posted by vikk
Hi
I found these for you, the first 1 is not easy reading, I still havent worked out what salary I will be on as it seems a little open to interpretation. e.g.

"A Teacher admitted to the service as a 4 Year trained Teacher who has an Approved bachelor's degree with first and second degree honours from a recognised University plus one Year of Teacher education or 2 Approved degrees from a recognised university plus one Year of Teacher education shall commence on the salary prescribed for Step 2."

I have a 4 yr BEd so dont need a year of teacher education. I think thats just for people who did something like a history degree, then moved across to teaching. Isn't it?

http://www.wageline.qld.gov.au/award...ies+-+teachers

http://www.wageline.qld.gov.au/award...IES+-+TEACHERS

If you are any wiser, & have any idea please let me know. Good look!
Old Apr 16th 2005, 11:58 am
BE Enthusiast

vikk will become famous soon enoughvikk will become famous soon enough
Wink Re: teacher payscale in oz

Originally Posted by Billy Borrell
Hi Vikk

My names Billy, this is my first post - you are blessed! I have just been reading your description on teaching qualifications. I took a 3 year degree in a totally unrelated subject to teaching, but decided to do a post grad one year conversion course - Why I'll never know! - and now teach future gangsters in East London! I am unsure if you are required to actually do a full degree or is the conversion ok?

Ripper!

Billy
Hi Billy I'm feeling very honoured now. Thank you. It wasn't 'my' description, it was a quote from the links that I posted. Unfortunately I'm pretty sure that you need a full 4 year degree, but I may be wrong. Checkout this link, for more info.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...highlight=B.Ed

If I am wrong maybe someone else could correct me. Good Luck.
Old Apr 18th 2005, 12:28 pm
Just Joined

Billy Borrell is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey Vikk

Many thanks I hope I made your year! Thanks for the link it was very helpful.

Cheers

Billy

Hi Billy I'm feeling very honoured now. Thank you. It wasn't 'my' description, it was a quote from the links that I posted. Unfortunately I'm pretty sure that you need a full 4 year degree, but I may be wrong. Checkout this link, for more info.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...highlight=B.Ed

If I am wrong maybe someone else could correct me. Good Luck.
Old Apr 24th 2005, 7:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

vikk will become famous soon enoughvikk will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Billy Borrell
Hey Vikk

Many thanks I hope I made your year! Thanks for the link it was very helpful.

Cheers

Billy
Glad you found it helpful.
Old May 8th 2005, 11:24 am
Prisoner of Her Majesty

samnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud of

Glad you found it helpful.
You do need a four year degree. I did a four year qts and even then was told that some people still need to do an extra year's 'conversion' course. Thankfully I didn't because my teaching credits are equivalent to Australian 4 year degrees.

I love teaching here - it's much easier here - no Sats, HMI, Ofsted, etc. Aussie teachers wouldn't last a second in UK!!!

Sam
Old May 8th 2005, 2:05 pm
Forum Regular

JG04 is just really niceJG04 is just really niceJG04 is just really niceJG04 is just really niceJG04 is just really niceJG04 is just really niceJG04 is just really niceJG04 is just really niceJG04 is just really niceJG04 is just really niceJG04 is just really nice

Hi samnrob2,
Interested in hearing more about your experiences teaching in Brisbane. Was it fairly easy to pick up employment? No SATS? Fantastic! My class are going through them this week and I think I'm feeling the stress more than the kids! We're moving out there 31st August. Going to be living North Gold Coast till Dec (house sitting) so hopefully will get something on the supply front. Have you done your 'country service' yet? Still waiting for rego to come through, any day now I've been told! Glad you're enjoying teaching, I have so many friends here who feel very down about the profession. Can't wait to get out there!
Originally Posted by samnrob2
You do need a four year degree. I did a four year qts and even then was told that some people still need to do an extra year's 'conversion' course. Thankfully I didn't because my teaching credits are equivalent to Australian 4 year degrees.

I love teaching here - it's much easier here - no Sats, HMI, Ofsted, etc. Aussie teachers wouldn't last a second in UK!!!

Sam
Old May 8th 2005, 9:40 pm
Prisoner of Her Majesty

samnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by JG04
Hi samnrob2,
Interested in hearing more about your experiences teaching in Brisbane. Was it fairly easy to pick up employment? No SATS? Fantastic! My class are going through them this week and I think I'm feeling the stress more than the kids! We're moving out there 31st August. Going to be living North Gold Coast till Dec (house sitting) so hopefully will get something on the supply front. Have you done your 'country service' yet? Still waiting for rego to come through, any day now I've been told! Glad you're enjoying teaching, I have so many friends here who feel very down about the profession. Can't wait to get out there!
This country service thing I think is a myth. Gone through that much red-tape getting into the system and it hasn't been mentioned once. I picked up my role really easily - you just have to do your homework and get round to see loads of schools. I got my role after just 1 day of 'trying' to get a job!

Where I'm teaching (just south of Brisbane) the aussie kids moan and whinge like anything! And the aussie teachers swear so much in front of the kids! It's certainly different, but far easier.

Sam
Old May 13th 2005, 8:52 am
Forum Regular

does anyone know where i can find out about the teachers payscale for primary teachers in oz, does one exsist?

thanks jacqui
Just to give you the actual figures as of today in Queensland for take home pay (that is after tax and super have been deducted).

Bottom of the scale - $1045 (£426) per fortnight.
Top of the scale - $1575 (£643) per fortnight.

Promoted teachers do not get a lot more, as they start hitting the next tax bracket.
Old May 13th 2005, 9:44 am
Prisoner of Her Majesty

Originally Posted by LindyLoo
Just to give you the actual figures as of today in Queensland for take home pay (that is after tax and super have been deducted).

Bottom of the scale - $1045 (£426) per fortnight.
Top of the scale - $1575 (£643) per fortnight.

Promoted teachers do not get a lot more, as they start hitting the next tax bracket.
Thanks that's really helpful.

I've totally excepted the fact that i will never really match what i was on in the UK - But hey there is no way i would go back. Life here is great.

Just been told today by the Principal that she is really impressed and she asked me to sign up on another contract which may lead to a very long contract and then (touch wood) permanent! Yippeee
Old May 13th 2005, 11:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Gibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond repute

If anyone is interested in the payscales for NSW, they can be found at -

www.det.nsw.gov.au/medis/downloads/employment/salaryallow/salaryrates.pdf.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.