Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Teaching
Reload this Page >

A teacher new to OZ - My experience so far

A teacher new to OZ - My experience so far

Old Feb 15th 2009, 8:27 pm
'Made in Ulster' Member

Location: Brisbane, QLD. (Though an Ulster girl through and through!)
Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A teacher new to OZ - My experience so far

Originally Posted by ray8
Hi,
can you clarify a few things for me i'm confused!

I am a fully qualified primary teacher in London i have been teaching for 3 years. I want to move to melbourne to supply teach and travel.

What visa should i apply for? i have completed the skilled workers visa and been successful.

how do i apply to the state of melbourne to register as a teacher?

what are the steps i need to take?

ray ray
Probably just a working holiday visa, depending on your age, i take it you're not wanting to emigrate, just visit for a while? Here's a few links which might help:

http://www.vic.gov.au/education/teac...fications.html

http://www.vit.vic.edu.au/content.asp?Document_ID=1
Old Feb 15th 2009, 8:31 pm
Just Joined

ray8 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you. Will look these websites up.
Old Feb 15th 2009, 9:00 pm
'Made in Ulster' Member

Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute

PS Ray, this might be a useful thread if you're considering emigrating on a 175 visa...

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=587160
Old Feb 15th 2009, 9:56 pm
Just Joined

ray8 is an unknown quantity at this point

thank you
Old Sep 30th 2009, 5:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ray8
thank you
bump!
Old Mar 1st 2010, 4:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Mochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond repute

Boy am I glad I made this post! Just needed to renew my First Aid and thanks to this I found a link! LMAO.

I've returned to Oz now and I've just started teaching again. Had to make sure i'd renewed everything which, by the way, is a lot less effort than it was before. One tip I would give to someone returning after a break in another country is to make sure you get a statement of service from your previsou employer (in my case the LA in the UK) so that you're on the right payscale when you get here. They hadn't counted the 2 years of teaching I'd done in the UK when I got back here so I was being paid the wrong amount. All sorted now though!
Old Mar 4th 2010, 1:36 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

Originally Posted by Mochinbach
Boy am I glad I made this post! Just needed to renew my First Aid and thanks to this I found a link! LMAO.

I've returned to Oz now and I've just started teaching again. Had to make sure i'd renewed everything which, by the way, is a lot less effort than it was before. One tip I would give to someone returning after a break in another country is to make sure you get a statement of service from your previsou employer (in my case the LA in the UK) so that you're on the right payscale when you get here. They hadn't counted the 2 years of teaching I'd done in the UK when I got back here so I was being paid the wrong amount. All sorted now though!
Hi u, tell me this, I'm waiting for my teacher registration, apparently it'll take up to three months, gutted! Anyhoo, meanwhile I'm going to get my 1st Aid training done, one provider locally is offering a one day course and another a two day, both the same price, the second one is offering a day of theory first, does it matter which i chose, they're both $145 each. Is there any particular course I should be going for?
Old Mar 5th 2010, 10:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jen1977ni
Hi u, tell me this, I'm waiting for my teacher registration, apparently it'll take up to three months, gutted! Anyhoo, meanwhile I'm going to get my 1st Aid training done, one provider locally is offering a one day course and another a two day, both the same price, the second one is offering a day of theory first, does it matter which i chose, they're both $145 each. Is there any particular course I should be going for?
As long as it's a DECs accredited one then you don't need to worry. I'm doing a one day one. It's called the BELS course. It's the same one I did last time. Just check whether the 1 day one is approved by the department and go for the cheapest one

It sucks, waiting for the registration. I was told I could work but only for free!!! lol
Old Mar 7th 2010, 7:47 am
Capt Hilts

coolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jen1977ni
With the St Johns Ambulance I think it's called senior first aider.

Cooler
Old Mar 31st 2010, 11:05 am
Just Joined

thetedd is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: A teacher new to OZ - My experience so far

Originally Posted by Mochinbach

I have read this whole thread with great interest, my husband and I are living in Adelaide and have recently got our permanent visas. He'd like to go back into teaching but 'the system' seems so alien. I've got a few questions so here goes.....So what has your experience in schools been like? Were they gov or non-gov schools? Have you or did you get a permanent contract? (Have heard these are difficult to get) How much choice to you get as to where you teach? In the gov schools the answer seems to be none - ish. How do pensions compare? What about career progression?

Also... what made you go back to England? We are thinking of going back into the UK teaching system, but are worried about how to make that choice. We really like living here in Adelaide so would love to hear your views.

Thanks so much
Old Apr 1st 2010, 8:05 am
Capt Hilts

coolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thetedd
I have read this whole thread with great interest, my husband and I are living in Adelaide and have recently got our permanent visas. He'd like to go back into teaching but 'the system' seems so alien. I've got a few questions so here goes.....So what has your experience in schools been like? Were they gov or non-gov schools? Have you or did you get a permanent contract? (Have heard these are difficult to get) How much choice to you get as to where you teach? In the gov schools the answer seems to be none - ish. How do pensions compare? What about career progression?

Also... what made you go back to England? We are thinking of going back into the UK teaching system, but are worried about how to make that choice. We really like living here in Adelaide so would love to hear your views.

Thanks so much
I teach in SA and will tell what I either know or have been told by either experienced Australian or British teachers here about the state sector. When I first came, I was told that you could only get a job in the Metro area if you had done rural for a few years. I have heard since, that it is possible for Head teachers to have some leverage by holding off employing for some posts then saying they need someone later - DECS then allow this. This is anecdotal but I have heard this from different sources.

If it's primary your husband is looking for a job, then it is far harder to get a job - secondary is easier to gain employment. As to alien, yes, that's how I've found it but if you've good experience, it's about adapting to how things work here. That's probably true in most occupations though.

Good luck in whatever you decide,
Cooler