Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Teaching
Reload this Page >

Starting as an NQT in Australia

Starting as an NQT in Australia

Old Nov 10th 2007, 11:01 am
Just Joined

Nahatalie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Starting as an NQT in Australia

Hi all, I'm new here and desperate to move out of the UK! I am currently training as a PGCE student (secondary science) at the Uni of Reading. The course will be completed in July 2008 and I would like to immigrate to Australia as soon as I can after that. I would be coming to Oz as an NQT, and I know that it's not required for me to have completed this year in the UK. I would like to know how I should go about getting a job, so here are a few questions:

Do I apply directly to individual schools?
How do I get around interviews? (I would need a job soon after I arrive!)
Do I have to go there without a job and find one once I arrive?
Will I be eligible for a skilled visa or would I have to go out there on a holiday visa?
Would I ever be allowed permanent residence?
Considering I would like to leave around August time, when is the best time to look for jobs?

I would be ever so grateful if someone can answer these for me! (is there a section for teaching in australia that I should have put this in? I'm still navigating the site!)

Thank you
Old Nov 10th 2007, 11:59 am
WS

WS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Starting as an NQT in Australia

Hi Nahatalie,

I have moved this to the teaching forum for you.

You can apply for a working holiday visa if you are eligible, but due to no work experience it would be unlikely you'd get a skilled visa (PR).

Regarding jobs, you have to be registered in each state you want to work in. Without registration you can't work in any school. You could investigate being sponsored by a school (unlikely!) or state for a visa.

I would definitely recommend doing your NQT year in the UK for three reasons:

1. Once its done you are a registered teacher in the UK if you ever want to return.
2. You'll get your 12 months work experience necessary for an independent skilled visa (if you meet the other requirements).
3. You'll find it much easier to get a teaching job in Australia with work experience.
Old Nov 10th 2007, 12:07 pm
Forum Regular

confuzzled is just really niceconfuzzled is just really niceconfuzzled is just really niceconfuzzled is just really niceconfuzzled is just really niceconfuzzled is just really niceconfuzzled is just really niceconfuzzled is just really niceconfuzzled is just really niceconfuzzled is just really nice

Completely agree with the mod!.
Do it now- its only another year
Old Nov 10th 2007, 1:16 pm
Just Joined

Ok thanks, but either way, do I apply to schools directly for jobs? How do I go about applying for a job? If I did somehow get a job on a holiday visa, is it then possible to change it to a skilled one once I have had the year of experience?

Also, with regards to a skilled work visa, I have previously lived in Japan teaching English as a foreign language for 12 months, would this count as the 12 months work experience required?

Edited to say, how do I go about registering in a state?
Old Nov 10th 2007, 2:55 pm
WS

WS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond repute

Once in Australia on a WHV you can then apply for a skilled visa, but will have to leave the country for it to be granted. The 12 months also has to be over 20 hrs/week and exactly 12 months or more, so supply work would be unlikely to meet this.

No the TEFL won't count. To get a job you apply to the school or the supply agency directly. But you can't do this until you are registered in that state.

To register in a State you need to have the 'right to work' so you need to do this after you've got your WHV. Every state is different, where in Australia are you going?
Old Nov 10th 2007, 3:24 pm
Happily living in Tsv,Qld

Simon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to allSimon.and.Kate is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Nahatalie
Ok thanks, but either way, do I apply to schools directly for jobs? How do I go about applying for a job?

Edited to say, how do I go about registering in a state?
Hi Nahatalie,

Each state is different, so firstly, where would you like to go?

I can only really comment on QLD, as that's where we are going and therefore where I've been researching. QLD is very different to the UK in that you do not apply to schools directly, but apply to the state who then place you in a pool. There is also a 'rural area placement scheme' where teachers are placed in remote 'hard to staff' areas for a few years...

I was very 'worried' when I first learnt about all of this, but we are very specific about where we are going as we are joining family in Townsville, QLD. We did a lot of research during a visit this August, including visits to schools - and thankfully/hopefully it won't be as bad as we first thought, as Townsville is considered somewhat remote - so the 'rural placement' won't effect us that much. I was told that this is enforced more in South QLD surrounding Brisbane etc... I have read that this can be good for people starting out as a way to get in. Do a few years in a remote location, and then apply for a transfer to 'civilisation'.

This all relates to state schools. Catholic and Private schools advertise and employ more like how we do in the UK. But they may be more picky? So perhaps the lack of experience will go against you?

For Queensland, you have to register with The Queensland College of Teachers, which is the equiv' of our GTC.

There is an assumption a lot of people make that Australia 'need teachers' - but if this were the case, teaching would be on immi's 'in demand' list, and it's not.

Also, Australia is a big and varied place, saying you'd like to move to Australia is like saying you'd like to move to Europe (sort of). Each state has it's own Climate / Attractions and more importantly to this topic: Education system.

So, do you have any particular part of Australia in mind? Different areas have different demands / needs, so if your not fussy where you head, you could do some research and pick somewhere where it will be easier to find work.

I would agree with others, do your NQT first because then it's done. I'd even consider getting another year done not only to make your experience look better to a potential employer, but also to improve you actual ability as a teacher.
The only thing that would make a difference to this is your age. Waiting to gain points for experience could cost you points for age if your over 30 when you apply.
If your serious about it, I would consider concentrating on applying for a PR visa from the start - but thats just me. Have you spent much time in Australia before?

I hope this is of some help - let me know if you think I can be of any further use. All the best.

Old Nov 10th 2007, 3:27 pm
Forum Regular

confuzzled is just really niceconfuzzled is just really niceconfuzzled is just really niceconfuzzled is just really niceconfuzzled is just really niceconfuzzled is just really niceconfuzzled is just really niceconfuzzled is just really niceconfuzzled is just really niceconfuzzled is just really nice

I can only talk for West Oz here but- once you are registered with WACOT (Western Australian College of TEaching)

1. State Schools: you can register with the Education Dept for an ED DEPT Number then you put in the form to request state school teaching positions. They will then allocate you a school, hopefully, based on your regional preferences. They also have what are called merit select schools- im not sure exactly what the deal is with them.

2. Catholic Schools. You go to ceo.wa.edu.au and check ou the list of vacancies and apply for them directly.

3. Other independant school: lookin the The West Australian (newspaper) and apply directly.

These are the only schools i have experiences so are the only ones i can help with, sorry.

Hope it helps.
Old Nov 10th 2007, 6:31 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by confuzzled
I can only talk for West Oz here but- once you are registered with WACOT (Western Australian College of TEaching)

1. State Schools: you can register with the Education Dept for an ED DEPT Number then you put in the form to request state school teaching positions. They will then allocate you a school, hopefully, based on your regional preferences. They also have what are called merit select schools- im not sure exactly what the deal is with them.

2. Catholic Schools. You go to ceo.wa.edu.au and check ou the list of vacancies and apply for them directly.

3. Other independant school: lookin the The West Australian (newspaper) and apply directly.

These are the only schools i have experiences so are the only ones i can help with, sorry.

Hope it helps.
I'm looking at WA, I quite fancy Perth. I've never been to Australia, it's too expensive for me to just go there for a holiday just to check it out. I moved to Japan without having ever been outside Europe before so I'm very adaptable and love the challenges moving to a new country throws at you. At least with Aus there won't be a language barrier.

Basically, I want to move asap. Ideally I would like to go there as an NQT. (I am not one yet, I am still doing my PGCE) Is it true that as long I don't start my NQT year in the UK and quit, I can do it at any point if I decide to come back to the UK after a few years? I know if I stay in England I have to complete the NQT year within 5 years, but I read on here if you move to aus without doing the NQT year you can do it after any amount of time if you decide to come back.

So, with a WHV how unlikely is it for me to get a teaching post (not supply), and I've got to stay in each school for 6 months max right? If there is next to no chance of this happening then I guess I am forced to live another year in miserable England and do my NQT year. Is it technically possible to get 6 months teaching post in a school then another, in order to a) abide by the "you can only work for a company for 6 months max on a WHV" rule and b) get the 12 months experience I need to apply for a WSV. Bascially, is this technically possible? Even if it is possible, is it something that is highly unlikely? I really want to move asap!

Thanks for all the help guys
Old Nov 11th 2007, 11:48 am
WS

Yes you can do your NQT year if you return from Australia and there is no time limit (although this could change). Once you start your NQT year in the UK you have 5 years to complete it.

To teach in any school in WA you have to register with WACOT: http://www.collegeofteaching.wa.edu.au/

Teaching jobs depend on which subject you teach and were you are prepared to work in the state. If you're prepared to work in remote areas you will find more jobs.
Old Nov 13th 2007, 12:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute

Hello,
if you are going to qualify as secondary teacher you could get a Western Australia sponsorship.

This is on 457 temporary visa. Visa is for 3 years but if you work for 2 years in rural school they will do your Permanent visa.

Job and housing supplied on arrival to Western Australia.

I know one girl in our town finished her PGCE and walked straight into sponsorship and job. She applied just before the end of her course and so everything was lined up for her finishing.

Take a look here if you may be interested:

http://www.det.wa.edu.au/teachingwa/...seas-teachers/

Jobs are rural, but if you are up for an adventure and maybe want to settle in Oz permanent this will get you here quick.

Otherwise Victoria has got permanent sponsorship for Secondary teachers but think you may need experience first.

GEMS
Old Nov 13th 2007, 12:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute

PS, when I say quick I mean quick, we enquired and arrived in just over 8 weeks later! However you can slow the process down if needed.

GEMS
Old Nov 13th 2007, 8:56 am
BE Forum Addict

hereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to behold

victoria does sponser general science teachers- but you need experience first.

In vistoria you apply directly to the school
Old Nov 18th 2007, 2:22 pm
Forum Regular

Amandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of lightAmandabee is a glorious beacon of light

I have kind of skimmed through the last through posts, but I think the most important thing for you to take home is you are unlikely/will not get a job teaching in Oz without experience first.

Most states will 'only just' recognise the UK PGCE qual, and only if the applicant has experience as well.

As lots of people have advised you... do some work in the UK first, it will fly by, then go out. This will also hel you in the 'you never know it might happen' category of you have to move back to the UK for what ever reason, you would be able to start work straight away (and with experience from Oz) rather than competing with the thousands of new UK graduates.

Teaching is not an easy job, and it is not easy starting again in a different country with different ideas on teaching and styles of learning. You need some experience to help get to started on the basics. I have taught in 3 contries now, and moving and adapting to different needs of the kids is hard. But at least I have my basic skills to fall back on!
Old Jan 13th 2008, 2:19 pm
Just Joined

Vicki71284 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Nahatalie

I am also new to this site and have just found your post and answers to your question. I am in the same situation as you but am doing a primary PGCE course at Oxford Brookes. Im desperate to move over to OZ, (preferable Queensland!) and have been looking into going asap. My course also finishes in July 2008 and I was hoping to do my NQT year over there but am now thinking it may be better to get QTS here in the UK before I go?

Was just wondering if you have made any progress and if you have found a way to go this year?! Would be great to see how its going and whether you are still planning or hoping to emigrate soon.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Vicki
Old Jan 13th 2008, 8:52 pm
Forum Regular

tynajon is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Vicki71284
Hi Nahatalie

I am also new to this site and have just found your post and answers to your question. I am in the same situation as you but am doing a primary PGCE course at Oxford Brookes. Im desperate to move over to OZ, (preferable Queensland!) and have been looking into going asap. My course also finishes in July 2008 and I was hoping to do my NQT year over there but am now thinking it may be better to get QTS here in the UK before I go?

Was just wondering if you have made any progress and if you have found a way to go this year?! Would be great to see how its going and whether you are still planning or hoping to emigrate soon.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Vicki
Hi,
Im a primary teacher in my 2nd year of the job. I would strongly recommend doing your NQT year in the UK here because it stands you in good stead for any visa application. I had a WHV for Aus about 5 years ago & decided then I wanted to emmigrate. I too have been desperate to go back to Aus (esp QLD). However its not as easy as we would like unless you have an employer waiting to sponsor you. Ive applied for a temp visa to be sponsored by the state of Victoria - this is the only route available to me because I dont have the required 3 years experience. Although I had no way of getting a visa for my first choice of QLD, the more I do my homework into Victoria, the more appealing it sounds. I also done a primary PGCE (completed July 2006) & it seems it is only worth something in Aus if you have a bit of experience to go with it. I dont know about the other states rules but for Victoria you have to have your NQT year complete before their Institute of Teaching (like our GTC) will even consider you for state registration. What Im saying is that staying in the UK may not be your ideal choice but its worth the wait if you really want to give it a go in Aus.
Kind regards
Tyna

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.