Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Teaching
Reload this Page >

secondary science teacher wanting to teach in sydney. help!!

secondary science teacher wanting to teach in sydney. help!!

Old Jun 9th 2009, 11:14 pm
Just Joined

alreetpet is an unknown quantity at this point
Default secondary science teacher wanting to teach in sydney. help!!

hi

i am totally new to all this and i really need some advice. my partner has just been employed as a geotechnical engineer on a 457 visa in sydney and moves out there next week. i want to go out and join him from september/october.

i have been in full time employment as a secondary science teacher/head of year for 7 years at the same school over here - though i have now handed in my notice - and had hoped it would be fairly easy to find teaching work in sydney.

as neither of us have real plans to stay out there long term, i originally planned to get a WHV and do some casual work but am concerned i can only work for 6 months and won't be able to get a second WHV if we want/need to stay longer than a year. i have no idea how hard it is to get a more permanent visa/sponsored visa if i find a school to sponsor me while i'm out there or if i'll have to leave the country while it's sorted....?

i can get a 175 independent skilled visa as i have enough points and this would give me so much more security and flexibility but the costs are daunting if it is difficult to find work....

any advice? what are my options? i guess i also have to register with the NSW teaching council? is that a difficult process in itself? how long does it all take?

thanks xx
Old Jun 11th 2009, 9:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

plantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: secondary science teacher wanting to teach in sydney. help!!

Originally Posted by alreetpet
hi

i am totally new to all this and i really need some advice. my partner has just been employed as a geotechnical engineer on a 457 visa in sydney and moves out there next week. i want to go out and join him from september/october.

i have been in full time employment as a secondary science teacher/head of year for 7 years at the same school over here - though i have now handed in my notice - and had hoped it would be fairly easy to find teaching work in sydney.

as neither of us have real plans to stay out there long term, i originally planned to get a WHV and do some casual work but am concerned i can only work for 6 months and won't be able to get a second WHV if we want/need to stay longer than a year. i have no idea how hard it is to get a more permanent visa/sponsored visa if i find a school to sponsor me while i'm out there or if i'll have to leave the country while it's sorted....?

i can get a 175 independent skilled visa as i have enough points and this would give me so much more security and flexibility but the costs are daunting if it is difficult to find work....

any advice? what are my options? i guess i also have to register with the NSW teaching council? is that a difficult process in itself? how long does it all take?

thanks xx
Are you on a 457 de facto visa? if not why not? its so much easier to get, then you could apply for pr via the 175 once you are here? That means you can do causal and supply on the 457....do a search under my name on this forum as I have posted loads of stuff about teaching in NSW esp Sydney... but the application to even do this is pretty onerous tbh....get all your stuff BEFORE you go and beware you might be rejected as I am expecting to be because I don't have the right amount of a subject at undergrad level to qualifiy in NSW.....It is far from easy but you CAN do it. You can't (or as far as I can see) get anything permanent usually....
Old Jun 11th 2009, 9:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

plantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of light

hi

thanks xx
Just wanted to add there 'is' work out there and you can choose in the independent sector but not in the state sector....but be prepared to do supply or volunteer first to get your foot in the door, they do prefer the peole with Aussie experience as I have found out time and time again...not being a prophet of doom but just be realistic in your expectations....
Old Jun 12th 2009, 8:11 am
Just Joined

alreetpet is an unknown quantity at this point

thank you! you seem to be having a horrendous time trying to find work which doesn't bode well....!

regarding the 457 de facto - we didn't think we'd be able to do it as he has also been working out in new zealand - and therefore we haven't lived together for 12 months, didn't want to hold his application up as it had to go through as quick as possible.

i have spoken to a lovely guy from the visa bureau however, and i'm applying for the WHV initially, see how it goes - with a view to getting my own 457 later down the line. that may or may not be possible, but i have somewhere to live, and we have another income, so i have decided not to worry too much....

oz schools years run january to january therefore it seems now is the wrong time to be seeking permanent jobs at any rate. and i am quite willing to do anything temporary, supply, whatever, wherever initially - whether it is state or idependent.

i have started my applications with institute of teachers and the like. it does seem that that whole process is a total ballache. although i do have all the right experience and qualifications as i have a 3 year degree, then a PGCE and 7 years teaching experience.

we shall just see how things pan out...!
Old Jun 13th 2009, 12:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

hereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to behold

thank you! you seem to be having a horrendous time trying to find work which doesn't bode well....!

regarding the 457 de facto - we didn't think we'd be able to do it as he has also been working out in new zealand - and therefore we haven't lived together for 12 months, didn't want to hold his application up as it had to go through as quick as possible.

i have spoken to a lovely guy from the visa bureau however, and i'm applying for the WHV initially, see how it goes - with a view to getting my own 457 later down the line. that may or may not be possible, but i have somewhere to live, and we have another income, so i have decided not to worry too much....

oz schools years run january to january therefore it seems now is the wrong time to be seeking permanent jobs at any rate. and i am quite willing to do anything temporary, supply, whatever, wherever initially - whether it is state or idependent.

i have started my applications with institute of teachers and the like. it does seem that that whole process is a total ballache. although i do have all the right experience and qualifications as i have a 3 year degree, then a PGCE and 7 years teaching experience.

we shall just see how things pan out...!
Now is definitely the wrong time to be looking for permanent jobs, but you may find posts for a term or so which is better than day to day supply... particularly towards the end of the year when exam groups leave so day to day supply dries up.

You should look into the defacto visa, I'd think the easiest thing would be to go on a WHV, live with your partner and get onto his defacto. You can also apply for a 175 while you are there but they are taking a very long time to process at the moment.

Good luck