Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Teaching
Reload this Page >

Training to be an ECE in Vancouver

Training to be an ECE in Vancouver

Old Nov 10th 2016, 1:27 am
Just Joined

irish ginger 100 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Training to be an ECE in Vancouver

Hi,
I am training to be a ECE for children with special educational needs. I only moved to Vancouver 7 weeks ago & everywhere I turn it costs MONEY & takes 3 months for any information back from the Government. I need to have a medical before I start working with kids, but its got to be Immigration panel approved so that's $265.00.
Does anybody know will I have to have a medical every year to work with children at a cost?
Having moved from London to Vancouver, I find Vancouver expensive & wet!!
Please tell me it will get better

Thank you
Old Nov 10th 2016, 9:51 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Training to be an ECE in Vancouver

Originally Posted by irish ginger 100
Hi,
I am training to be a ECE for children with special educational needs. I only moved to Vancouver 7 weeks ago & everywhere I turn it costs MONEY & takes 3 months for any information back from the Government. I need to have a medical before I start working with kids, but its got to be Immigration panel approved so that's $265.00.
Does anybody know will I have to have a medical every year to work with children at a cost?
Having moved from London to Vancouver, I find Vancouver expensive & wet!!
Please tell me it will get better

Thank you
Vancouver: 'expensive and wet' - perfectly summed up in 3 words!

How often you have to have a medical will depend, what is your current visa status, are you on a study permit? How long is your course?
Old Nov 11th 2016, 7:17 pm
Just Joined

irish ginger 100 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Christmasoompa,
Thank you for your reply.
I am on a 2 year work/study permit, which gives me a 1 year post graduate working, during which I believe I can apply for PR if I want to. My course is a 2 year Diploma course. So Ive been told by the immigration company that we are using,that it gives us in total 5 years over here, or as long as the Canadians want us to be here.

Thanks
Old Nov 11th 2016, 7:56 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

I am on a 2 year work/study permit
OK, so you won't need a medical every year, you'll just need it when your status changes - so if you have a medical now, you'll be ok for the 2 years of your study permit (to work the 20 hours a week permitted).

during which I believe I can apply for PR if I want to.
If you're eligible to, yes. You might be, but it's not automatic, you will need to check your eligibility and see - you might find you need a job offer to qualify for PR as most do. Hopefully if you've been working for somebody part-time during our course though, then they might be happy to do the LMIA to keep you.

So Ive been told by the immigration company that we are using,that it gives us in total 5 years over here, or as long as the Canadians want us to be here.
Not sure how they work it out as 5 years? 2 year study permit plus 1 year PGWP = 3 years. There's no way of automatically staying past that unless you do qualify for PR or get another work permit with LMIA?

It might be worth noting that if you do decide to apply for PR once eligible, you would have to have another medical for that.

HTH a bit, best of luck finding a job and staying if you decide you do want to.