Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Teaching
Reload this Page >

Recognised UK (to Australia) teacher Qualifications Confusion - HELP!

Recognised UK (to Australia) teacher Qualifications Confusion - HELP!

Old Feb 4th 2006, 4:17 pm
Forum Regular

Sammy-G will become famous soon enoughSammy-G will become famous soon enough
Default Recognised UK (to Australia) teacher Qualifications Confusion - HELP!

Hi

I'm just finishing my degree here in the UK and plan on doing teacher training in september before returning to OZ (I'm an Aussie citizen with English other half hoping to come out on spouse Visa). I was gonna do the SCITT course but have realised after many hours, days, weeks and emails to education boards in oz that this is not a good idea - a PGCE is really required. SO instead I am applying to some different SCITT courses that also provide a PGCE qualifiction validated by the Open University.

BUT looking at some really old threads I saw that someone was saying that the PGCE has to be done at a Univesrity to be recognised - does anyone know if this is true or if my SCITT PGCE course would count as would be done in school and just validated by the Open University?

I am planning on training to teach English at secondary level and really wanted to do a SCITT as I have heard so much good feedback about that type of course.

Thanks to anyone who can help!

Sam

Last edited by Sammy-G; Feb 4th 2006 at 4:22 pm.
Old Mar 6th 2006, 7:29 am
Forum Regular

Default Re: Recognised UK (to Australia) teacher Qualifications Confusion - HELP!

Just thought i'd post an update on this for anyone else that might be interested.
I have discovered that yes as long as the pgce certificate is provided by a recognised university then all is ok.

I have been categorically informed by both QLD and NSW teaching authorities that all other employment or school based routes (i.e. gtp and scitt) are not acceptable as the 'rigour' (their words not mine) of the academic side of the training is in question when a pgce is not also awarded. The four-year teaching degrees are also accepted.
Old Mar 7th 2006, 9:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

bezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Recognised UK (to Australia) teacher Qualifications Confusion - HELP!

Sammy,

I for one appreciate this post.

We have perviously been garnted teaching status in QLD (1994) and both my wife BEd and I BA plus PGCSE stduied at a College but had the degree validated by the University of Wales.

Despite what some have written I believe the latter is important - i.e. that it is validadted by a Uni.

Good luck

Bezza
Old Mar 8th 2006, 1:43 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by bezzanbob
Sammy,

I for one appreciate this post.

We have perviously been garnted teaching status in QLD (1994) and both my wife BEd and I BA plus PGCSE stduied at a College but had the degree validated by the University of Wales.

Despite what some have written I believe the latter is important - i.e. that it is validadted by a Uni.

Good luck

Bezza
Bezza

Yes definately with regard to the university element of the pgce - there were some posts by ACE that had indicated as such and when i chased this up with the authorities in NSW and QLD they couldn't emphasis more the importance of the PGCE coming from / validated by a recognised Uni.

As such i've found myself a SCITT PGCE that is validated by the Open University (with the certificate provided directly from the uni, and also made xtra sure by confirming that the Open University is indeed classed as a recognised uni - over anxious by this time!).

So will be starting pgce in Sept and hoping to be in Oz 6 months after finishing (providing all goes to plan..).

Thanks for your reply Bezza and all the best to you too

Sam

Last edited by Sammy-G; Mar 8th 2006 at 1:53 pm.
Old Mar 19th 2006, 7:46 pm
Just Joined

itchyfeet06 is an unknown quantity at this point

Would QTS count or not?
Old Mar 20th 2006, 7:24 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by itchyfeet06
Would QTS count or not?
Unfortunately it is not enough just to have QTS. The Australian authorities also require that route taken into teaching (to acquire QTS) is what they deem to be equivalent to their own teacher training. Therefore as GTP and SCITT (without PGCE) routes are not currently offered in Australia as routes into teaching they are not deemed as acceptable. You should read this leaflet, if you haven't already:

http://aei.dest.gov.au/AEI/Qualifica...eaflet_pdf.pdf

Page 3 lists the requirements for teaching training.

and also check out this website:

http://aei.dest.gov.au/AEI/Qualifica...ia/Default.htm

Also it should be noted as i have previously mentioned that if the SCITT with PGCE route has been taken, this is acceptable as long as the PGCE certficate is awarded by a recognised British University.

Hope this is somewhat clearer - I emailed the teaching boards in NSW and QLD with my specific queries with regard to registration in those particular states (it should be noted that each state is separate and you should contact the relevant one for specific info), and they were very helpful. I am an OZ citizen so i bypass the need to have my qualifications recognised by NOOSR and go straight to having them assessed by the state in question. However if you are migrating then you first have to go through NOOSR and then also go through the process of registration with the state - and you will have to provide evidence of your qualifications again at this stage.

Hope this helps

Sam

Have just read your post on the barbie, and I'm assuming from that you have gone the GTP route? I have been categorically informed (as per my earlier post on this thread) that this route is not acceptable by the QLD and NSW authorities and as far as I'm aware from reading the information available online, talking to others and through searching this forum that this is indeed the case throughout Australia. I do vaguely remember that someone mentioned (perhaps on this forum - do a search for GTP) that Victoria was possibly considering the introduction of a GTP style route in the future - so u never know this may change.

S

Last edited by Sammy-G; Mar 20th 2006 at 7:54 am.
Old Mar 20th 2006, 4:24 pm
Forum Regular

foxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nicefoxall22 is just really nice

Hi Sammy,

Just wanted to say thank you for your post. After many weeks of worrying I eventually heard back from W.A. college of teaching saying my SCITT with PGCE would be fine.

However, before that your post was exactly what I needed to hear. Cheers!

Gemma
Old Mar 20th 2006, 5:12 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by foxall22
Hi Sammy,

Just wanted to say thank you for your post. After many weeks of worrying I eventually heard back from W.A. college of teaching saying my SCITT with PGCE would be fine.

However, before that your post was exactly what I needed to hear. Cheers!

Gemma
No problem - I went through the same uncertainty, but luckily in my case I am about to start the teacher training, rather than having already completed it - and I'm so glad I investigated it now as I had been planning on doing a SCITT course without PGCE - which would have an absolute disaster!!

Good luck!

Sammy