Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Teaching
Reload this Page >

Re: 12 months work experience (teachers)

Re: 12 months work experience (teachers)

Old Jul 7th 2008, 11:12 am
Just Joined

Craig and Cat is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 12 months work experience (teachers)

Hi

Please could anyone provide any advice with regards to the 12 months experience required for PR.

Does this mean one academic year or a full 12 months?

I am going to be doing supply from September and I have been guaranteed a minimum of 20 hours a week; therefore, when would I be eligible to apply for the PR visa?

Any advice gratefully appreciated...
Old Jul 7th 2008, 11:38 am
WS

WS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond repute

An academic year is counted as 12 months.

If you are in a permanent job, you start on 1st Sept and finish in July but you are still employed until 31st August.

If you are supply teaching it is much harder to make up the 12 months as you would be unlikely to get a job throughout the summer holidays for 20 hrs a week and have pay slips to prove this.
Old Jul 7th 2008, 11:46 am
Just Joined

Hi

Thanks for getting back so soon.

It is supply teaching that we would be doing to get the experience...

If this is the case, when do you think we would need to be doing the supply up until to get the 12 months...?

Cheers
Old Jul 7th 2008, 11:58 am
WS

WS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond repute

I've just read your other thread and you should definitely stay in the UK to get the 12 month work experience requirement and then apply for a 175 (if you are young and sit the IELTS you should get enough points). This is a PR visa with no restrictions on employment or area - unlike the 457.

To reach the 12 months you would need to add up the weeks - 39 in a usual academic year plus another 13 weeks to make it 52, so probably until Christmas.

Could you get a permanent job for an academic year instead?
Old Jul 7th 2008, 4:31 pm
Just Joined

Possibly. But unfortunately, the cut off point for new teachers has now gone in the UK (for a Sept 09 start). Looks like we'd be stuck doing supply.

Not too tempted by the prospect of the doing supply in bleak Blackpool or dreary Doncaster for 12 months. Surely we'd be better off coming over on some kind of temporary visa and gaining our year's experience in OZ?

What do you think?
Old Jul 7th 2008, 4:52 pm
WS

Thats up to you.

You get paid a lot more in the UK, and if you come over on a 457 or similar you have no flexibility in what you do or where/which school you work in for 2 years.

This route works for some people.

I'm not sure where you are in the UK or which subject but looking in TES there are loads of jobs for a Sept 08 start.
Old Jul 7th 2008, 6:04 pm
Forum Regular

leeh36 is an unknown quantity at this point

And if your thinking of a 457 they are not being arranged as quickly now as they used to be.

I applied in March and will not be getting a chance to go over until July 2009 anyway!!!!!
Old Jul 7th 2008, 8:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

GillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Craig and Cat
Possibly. But unfortunately, the cut off point for new teachers has now gone in the UK (for a Sept 09 start). Looks like we'd be stuck doing supply.

Not too tempted by the prospect of the doing supply in bleak Blackpool or dreary Doncaster for 12 months. Surely we'd be better off coming over on some kind of temporary visa and gaining our year's experience in OZ?

What do you think?
Have you got a total of 4 years at uni including at least 1 year of teacher studies? My degree was "only" a 3 year BA (hons) in primary education and teaching and I need to complete another year at uni before I can teach in Oz...life sucks!
Old Jul 7th 2008, 8:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

What do you think?
Think you need to look into how you'd get work as teacher with no experience in Aus, none Aus trained, so would struggle to find anything to be honest. As for WHV supply teaching not easy, 457 visa you could well end up living right out in the sticks.
But as you've got job offer for NZ why are you looking into Aus? Or are you just covering every base inc Canada (strange then "bleak" places in UK would be exceed by -30 in Canada )
Old Jul 7th 2008, 9:06 pm
WS

If you can't stand staying in England, why don't you just go to NZ with your job offer. Get some experience for 12 months then apply for an Australian PR visa??!

Last edited by WS; Jul 7th 2008 at 9:27 pm.
Old Jul 7th 2008, 9:26 pm
Just Joined

Custard creams. Yum.
Old Jul 8th 2008, 8:34 pm
Forum Regular

megasue is just really nicemegasue is just really nicemegasue is just really nicemegasue is just really nicemegasue is just really nicemegasue is just really nicemegasue is just really nicemegasue is just really nice

Hi

Thanks for getting back so soon.

It is supply teaching that we would be doing to get the experience...

If this is the case, when do you think we would need to be doing the supply up until to get the 12 months...?

Cheers
I am on supply at the moment, and to be honest I am in demand as I am very experienced.
I have 5 schools which phone me for all their cover, plus I take on extra days as well which the supply agency call me for, and I still dont work a 39 week year.

You have to remember that unless someone is ill, you are only covering courses etc. There are 6 lots of holidays a year in England, and no courses in the week leading up to and following a holiday, so thats 12 weeks you can knock off. I wouls say on average, a person would have to work 2 years to be sure of covering the 12 month.

You would have to arrange the NQT part as well in order to get your QTS at the end of the year.
Sue
Old Jul 9th 2008, 4:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Nick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by megasue
I am on supply at the moment, and to be honest I am in demand as I am very experienced.
I have 5 schools which phone me for all their cover, plus I take on extra days as well which the supply agency call me for, and I still dont work a 39 week year.

You have to remember that unless someone is ill, you are only covering courses etc. There are 6 lots of holidays a year in England, and no courses in the week leading up to and following a holiday, so thats 12 weeks you can knock off. I wouls say on average, a person would have to work 2 years to be sure of covering the 12 month.

You would have to arrange the NQT part as well in order to get your QTS at the end of the year.
Sue

It took me 17 months of supply teaching to get a full year!
Not easy as your in the hands of the gods!!!
Thank god for teacher stress related illnesses - that's all I can say!
Old Jul 21st 2008, 2:13 am
Just Joined

Aly_James is an unknown quantity at this point

We came out to Oz on Working holiday visas. My husband was a newly qualified teacher in the UK hence no expereince. He did casual relief teaching in Melbourne between Aug and Oct, but it was difficult to obtain any work in the last school term (Oct-Dec) due to exam leave. He obtained employment in a regional school near Cairns QLD and was sposored on the regional sponsored migration scheme. We are therefore permanent residents but he has to remain with his employer for two years. There is hope, but we think we were lucky!
Old Aug 5th 2008, 12:59 pm
Forum Regular

confuzzled is just really niceconfuzzled is just really niceconfuzzled is just really niceconfuzzled is just really niceconfuzzled is just really niceconfuzzled is just really niceconfuzzled is just really niceconfuzzled is just really niceconfuzzled is just really niceconfuzzled is just really nice

Originally Posted by GillyG
Have you got a total of 4 years at uni including at least 1 year of teacher studies? My degree was "only" a 3 year BA (hons) in primary education and teaching and I need to complete another year at uni before I can teach in Oz...life sucks!
yeh it sucks but as someone told me once "that's life". I had the reverse problem, i was wanting to live in the UK with OH, and despite my 10 years experience, 4 year under grad degree and a masters i couldnt get a properly paid (ie they would only pay me "untrained teacher wages") teaching job as i didnt have QTS (and you dont want to know the hoops i would have had to jump thru for that)

Anyway... my point is, don't give up guys.. yes it is a hard slog but "that's life"
Good luck all!