Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Teaching
Reload this Page >

Primary Teaching in the USA

Primary Teaching in the USA

Old Oct 11th 2009, 12:50 pm
Just Joined

Dan_booth88 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Primary Teaching in the USA

I am Currently at University in my final year of my degree in Sport and Pe but over the past two years i have decided i would love to teach Primary because of three summers on a childrens summer camp in Maryland.

I have looked into many routes of teaching such as PGCE/GTP/SCITT and was wondering would anyone be about to shed some light on which would be the best option for being able to teach over in the States?

Dan
Old Oct 11th 2009, 7:21 pm
Just Joined

MDyson is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Primary Teaching in the USA

I too am looking to work in teaching in USA (Las Vegas area to be precise). Does anyone know what the requirements for Nevada are? I am already an assistant head in England but would not mind going back a step to be a class teacher if it meant I could get sponsored for a green card. Any prospective employers want a really well qualified body for teaching?
Old Oct 12th 2009, 1:42 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dan_booth88
I am Currently at University in my final year of my degree in Sport and Pe but over the past two years i have decided i would love to teach Primary because of three summers on a childrens summer camp in Maryland.

I have looked into many routes of teaching such as PGCE/GTP/SCITT and was wondering would anyone be about to shed some light on which would be the best option for being able to teach over in the States?

Dan
I don't know anything about teaching in the US, but I do know that if you want to travel and teach you must do the PGCE, not the GTP, as it is only recognised in England and Wales.

Have a look at some of the threads in this forum for more details...

S
Old Dec 11th 2009, 4:54 pm
Forum Regular

bigticket77 is just really nicebigticket77 is just really nicebigticket77 is just really nicebigticket77 is just really nicebigticket77 is just really nicebigticket77 is just really nicebigticket77 is just really nicebigticket77 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
I don't know anything about teaching in the US, but I do know that if you want to travel and teach you must do the PGCE, not the GTP, as it is only recognised in England and Wales.

Have a look at some of the threads in this forum for more details...

S
Sadly it is not easy to get jobs in education over here right now.I arrived in the summer with a PGCE, tonnes of experience with a top independent school and there is very little to be had :-( The problem for you will be gaining a visa, which unless you are marrying an american will be having to find a school to sponsor you - in this current climate it will be almost impossible as many u.s teachers are looking for jobs. You may want to look in to british schools in the U.S, they tend to hire british teachers obviously. There isnt one in Vegas, but they are in Washington DC, Boston, Houston.. check their webpage out. If you have any questions let me know. As for your qualifications, they will need to be translated when you are over here, so the state can ascertain which credential you are able to get ( and what you can teach).
Old Jun 28th 2010, 11:53 pm
Just Joined

dbastug is an unknown quantity at this point

Your best bet would be first to go onto the websites of the different school boards and see what is available then once you have checking them out contact the human resources dept. and fill out an application .