Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Teaching
Reload this Page >

Are Primary Teachers wanting to emigrate on hold now?

Are Primary Teachers wanting to emigrate on hold now?

Old Mar 18th 2009, 9:33 pm
Just Joined

martinibops is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Are Primary Teachers wanting to emigrate on hold now?

I am confused after reading articles on websites today and other threads in here I can no longer see primary teachers on the wanted list. We were planning to apply for a visa for permanent residency and wanted to get out based on my professional as a Primary teacher. We want to go to Perth as we have family there. Is it a no no now?:curse:
Old Mar 19th 2009, 9:28 am
Just Joined

Joey09 is just really niceJoey09 is just really niceJoey09 is just really niceJoey09 is just really niceJoey09 is just really niceJoey09 is just really niceJoey09 is just really niceJoey09 is just really niceJoey09 is just really niceJoey09 is just really niceJoey09 is just really nice
Default Re: Are Primary Teachers wanting to emigrate on hold now?

I hope not as I am in the same position! I know its not on the CSL but as far as I know you can still gain the neccessary points for a 175 visa, thats what I have found!
Joey09
Old Mar 19th 2009, 1:44 pm
Just Joined

carmeningham is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, I have been trying to obtain a visa as a primary school teacher and was told that I was short of points. I have also been informed that the WA sponsorship programmes have also stopped for primary school teachers. Could you please let me know about the 175 visa. Thanks
Old Mar 19th 2009, 1:48 pm
Just Joined

Joey09 is just really niceJoey09 is just really niceJoey09 is just really niceJoey09 is just really niceJoey09 is just really niceJoey09 is just really niceJoey09 is just really niceJoey09 is just really niceJoey09 is just really niceJoey09 is just really niceJoey09 is just really nice

Hi I have been teaching at a primary school for 3 years and managed to gain 125 points. How many years experience do you have?
Old Mar 19th 2009, 1:59 pm
Just Joined

I have 10 years experience and spoke to an advisor on Monday. They took all our details and said we only had 105 points, because primary teacher isn't on the CSL. They also told us that a lot of immigration companies are telling people they have the correct number of points in order to gain your business.
I have contacted a number of districts trying to obtain a sponsorship and have been told that WA are not sponsoring at the moment, due to funding problems.
Old Mar 19th 2009, 2:05 pm
Just Joined

Oh no! Where did you get the number from? Would quite like to check up on that myself!
I have obtained most of my information from the government website
Joey09
Old Mar 19th 2009, 2:11 pm
Just Joined

That should be fine then, maybe you have obtained points for different things too. The number we phoned was 0208 543 5915 from emigrate magazine, company is 'Destination Oz'. Could you send me details of website you have used, hopefully we may be able to obtain more points! Good luck
Old Mar 19th 2009, 2:42 pm
Just Joined

Have just been on government site. Think you may have obtained extra points because of your age. I only get 20 because am 39!
Old Mar 19th 2009, 3:19 pm
Just Joined

Think I had 30 points Im 25! I did think you got the maximum number of points though if your under 45 thats a shame!
Old Mar 19th 2009, 4:44 pm
Just Joined

We wanted to apply for a 175 visa but I'm starting to get really confused now. I am still waiting to hear if my degree will be accepted as I took a 3 year route (although it has same content as 4 year - Teaching Australia have said they will consider if I get relevent info from my uni). I have just tried to work my points out again and lots of different sites seem to have different information. I am 34 and downside is I have only 1 years qualified teaching experience but have worked in a primary school as an unqualified teacher and TA full time for 7 years (prob doesn't make a difference). I have family in Perth which is where we want to head. My hubbie is an Ashphalt Supervisor so is not on skilled list. Do I stand any chance of getting a visa or should I (now he has managed to convince me to do this) give up.:curse:
Old Mar 19th 2009, 6:08 pm
Just Joined

upthevilla is an unknown quantity at this point

I applied for a 175 visa as a primary teacher in September 2008. It is not on the critical skills list (CSL) or the MODL (Occupations in demand list) and at the moment they are only processing visas on the CSL due to the economic downturn, so we are waiting, but not much is happening. So even if you go for a 175, no-one knows when they will be processing them if you are not on the CSL or MODL list.

I have a job with Western Australia DET which is the route I want to take, but 2 weeks ago we were told I would not be starting in Jan 2010 as originally planned but they are still committed to employing me at some stage. At the moment, Oz appears to be well off for teachers and we could all be in for a long wait!
Old Mar 20th 2009, 7:43 pm
Just Joined

I'm now only coming out at 110 points because teaching is off the MODL list - gutted! Basically does that mean we have no chance with this amount of points?
Old Mar 20th 2009, 8:00 pm
Just Joined

janmal is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by martinibops
We wanted to apply for a 175 visa but I'm starting to get really confused now. I am still waiting to hear if my degree will be accepted as I took a 3 year route (although it has same content as 4 year - Teaching Australia have said they will consider if I get relevent info from my uni). I have just tried to work my points out again and lots of different sites seem to have different information. I am 34 and downside is I have only 1 years qualified teaching experience but have worked in a primary school as an unqualified teacher and TA full time for 7 years (prob doesn't make a difference). I have family in Perth which is where we want to head. My hubbie is an Ashphalt Supervisor so is not on skilled list. Do I stand any chance of getting a visa or should I (now he has managed to convince me to do this) give up.:curse:
we are a similar case to yourselves, didnt have enough points for a175 because of age, so went for the 176 family sponsored visa we applied oct 08 now playng the waiting game, so if you have family try that route, but i did do the 4 year degree
Old Mar 20th 2009, 8:01 pm
Just Joined

janmal is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by martinibops
I'm now only coming out at 110 points because teaching is off the MODL list - gutted! Basically does that mean we have no chance with this amount of points?
you only need 100 points for a 176 family sponsored visa
Old Mar 20th 2009, 10:15 pm
Just Joined

Thank you, I have just been looking into this but not sure exactly how it works I have two Auties and two sets of cousins out in Oz and would initially stay with one set anyway. Does mine or my husbands work need to be on MODL or CSL as I am a primary teacher and that has been taken off. My husband is an Ashhalt Supervisor which I know is a job that is available out there but not on either of these lists. We were not planning to go for another year/18 months anyway or am I looking at donkeys years? now??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.