Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Teaching
Reload this Page >

Post Graduate Certificate of Education and Learning Vs PGCE

Post Graduate Certificate of Education and Learning Vs PGCE

Old Feb 26th 2013, 3:03 pm
Just Joined

rachelfry86 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Post Graduate Certificate of Education and Learning Vs PGCE

I have a quick question and was wondering if anyone can help me out with it please.

I am currently trying to become a teacher and have been accepted onto the Schools Direct Program in the UK (I already hold a BSc Hons), this is a one year course that I would need to pay university fees to Liverpool Hope to complete and my qualification is affiliated by Hope University, I have some lectures but the bulk of my year is spent in school.

My question is, I will receive a Post Graduate Certificate of Teaching and Learning with QTS at the end of my course and not a Post Graduate Certificate of Education (PGCE). Will this effect my chances of moving overseas to teach or will this be recognized at the same thing?

Last edited by rachelfry86; Feb 26th 2013 at 3:30 pm.
Old Feb 26th 2013, 3:22 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Post Graduate Certificate of Education and Learning Vs PGCE

Originally Posted by rachelfry86
I have a quick question and was wondering if anyone can help me out with it please.

I am currently trying to become a teacher and have been accepted onto the Schools Direct Program in the UK (I already hold a BSc Hons), this is a one year course that I would need to pay university fees to Liverpool Hope to complete and my qualification is affiliated by Hope University, I have some lectures but the bulk of my year is spent in school.

My question is, I will receive a Post Graduate Certificate of Education and Learning with QTS at the end of my course and not a Post Graduate Certificate of Education (PGCE). Will this effect my chances of moving overseas to teach or will this be recognized at the same thing?
I thought all PGCEs gave QTS
It is many many moons ago for me, but it just looks like the course you are on are expressing that you get QTS at the end of the qualification description.
Isn't your course still a PGCE?

Last edited by kimilseung; Feb 26th 2013 at 3:24 pm.
Old Feb 26th 2013, 3:28 pm
Just Joined

rachelfry86 is an unknown quantity at this point

No its a Post Graduate Certificate of Teaching and Learning, I still get 60 Masters Points but I don't think it's recognized everywhere as it is a new course.
Old Feb 26th 2013, 3:36 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

I am in the process of having my UK teaching qualification evaluated, I will have to wait to see if I make the cut, but it looks to me that the qualification will be good if it is considered to give QTS. I writing concerning Washington State, USA.

I did an ATC, on the letter of confirmation that I got from Goldsmiths, they have stipulated that the course was at the graduate level and that it changed its name to PGCE a few years after I received mine. This suggests that it is viewed as something that needs explaining and that perhaps a PGCE is more widely understood, but I have to have it professionally evaluated anyway before submitting, and I am assuming that they will be knowledgeable about what it is.

No idea if I am helping or hindering as far as your question goes.
Old Mar 1st 2013, 4:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

j19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond repute

Was a bit confused by this so did a quick search. Liverpool Uni say..

The Postgraduate Certificate in Learning & Teaching in Higher Education is a Level M 60-credit programme intended for staff who have some teaching experience. It offers a structured opportunity for staff to reflect on and develop their learning, teaching and assessment practice. It is accredited by the Higher Education Academy

I think I would stick to the more well known PGCE if possible. Certainly some countries do not accept SCITT - School based teacher training. I would check it out with the country of your choice first, nothing worse than training and still not getting in!!

Also check thread regarding GTP on this forum

Originally Posted by rachelfry86

My question is, I will receive a Post Graduate Certificate of Teaching and Learning with QTS at the end of my course and not a Post Graduate Certificate of Education (PGCE). Will this effect my chances of moving overseas to teach or will this be recognized at the same thing?

Last edited by j19fmm; Mar 1st 2013 at 4:12 pm. Reason: added a bit