Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Teaching
Reload this Page >

Please can anyone advice me?

Please can anyone advice me?

Old Jul 22nd 2009, 12:26 pm
'Made in Ulster' Member

Location: Brisbane, QLD. (Though an Ulster girl through and through!)
Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Please can anyone advice me?

Originally Posted by mrsminkie
So is there a shortage or not?? very confusing!
No, there's not a shortage, I will say it again, EVERYONE HAS GONE BACK TO TEACHING! lol

Recession, credit crunch, etc etc Teaching is much more stable than some 'industries' so there is a surplus of teachers there now....
Old Jul 22nd 2009, 1:29 pm
Forum Regular

Briar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond repute

So is there a shortage or not?? very confusing!
There IS NO shortage of Teachers - in fact there is an over supply!!!! - believe me as I now work in Teacher Recruitment in Australia!!!! No teachers in Australia are retiring, and so many teachers are coming back to the fold as their jobs in the mining industry have disappeared!!!

Think carefully about emigrating to Australia in the present economic times if you are expecting to get a position as a teacher!!!

I was interviewed by DETWA in late 2008, about the time the global stuff went totally AWOL. I missed out on a teaching position in WA through bad timing. I am now in Australia through a family migration route, but I cannot get a job teaching apart from the occasional relief position as there is a major over supply of teachers!

Be warned... but it is the best place to live though!!!
Old Jul 22nd 2009, 1:44 pm
Just Joined

mrsminkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you for the 2 above posts - EXTREMELY valuable advice.

I definitely have my heart set on living in Australia - I can only imagine how amazing it is. However, I must be sure that I will have a career there, as does my husband, so this is all excellent advice.

Many thanks
Old Jul 22nd 2009, 1:49 pm
Just Joined

Can anyone tell me if this is the case with IT???

otherwise, my OH will have to rethink things too!!
Old Jul 22nd 2009, 1:51 pm
'Made in Ulster' Member

Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute

Can anyone tell me if this is the case with IT???

otherwise, my OH will have to rethink things too!!
You'd prob be better asking that question in this section of the forum...

http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=78

Information Technology....
Old Jul 22nd 2009, 2:09 pm
Just Joined

thank you have done so
Old Jul 22nd 2009, 2:10 pm
'Made in Ulster' Member

thank you have done so
Good Luck xo
Old Jul 23rd 2009, 7:52 am
BE Forum Addict

hereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Briar
There IS NO shortage of Teachers - in fact there is an over supply!!!! - believe me as I now work in Teacher Recruitment in Australia!!!! No teachers in Australia are retiring, and so many teachers are coming back to the fold as their jobs in the mining industry have disappeared!!!

Think carefully about emigrating to Australia in the present economic times if you are expecting to get a position as a teacher!!!

I was interviewed by DETWA in late 2008, about the time the global stuff went totally AWOL. I missed out on a teaching position in WA through bad timing. I am now in Australia through a family migration route, but I cannot get a job teaching apart from the occasional relief position as there is a major over supply of teachers!

This is not necessarily true, there IS a shortage of teachers of some subjects in some areas.

Science/ Maths types are needed almost everywhere

Primary teachers are needed practically nowhere

everything else depends on the area.
Old Jul 23rd 2009, 9:00 am
Just Joined

I was planning on doing Maths and then possibly diversifying into science when I could.....long term looking at teaching A-Level possibly also.

It seems that everyone has had the same idea though, even in the UK, so I'm really worried that I'll do all the hard work and it will be in vain.

I'm in a right mess over this!
Old Jul 23rd 2009, 11:03 am
Forum Regular

lekkilizard is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Please can anyone advice me?

Don't get on here much these days but great to hear that you are in Oz !! Where are you based ?? WA ??

Nx
Old Jul 23rd 2009, 12:18 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by lekkilizard
Don't get on here much these days but great to hear that you are in Oz !! Where are you based ?? WA ??

Nx
I'm afraid I'm still in the gloomy UK. (Unless that question wasn't directed at me!) I WISH I was in Oz!
Old Jul 24th 2009, 7:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute

Actually Primary is supposed to be a shortage from 2010 according to forecasts due to rising birth rates and the $5000 you get with each birth.
I know a lady with 10 kids
But again this will unlikely be city WA, as all the Aussies want Perth, so you have got a lot of competition.

Also Ive recently looked on SA education pages and they have plenty of primary jobs on offer.
They seam to need rural teachers too.

Gems
Old Jul 25th 2009, 2:03 pm
Capt Hilts

coolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond repute

So If i got my PGCE and then did my NQT (Induction) year, then I SHOULD be able to get the skilled migrant visa? That would be excellent.

I've heard from a few people though who have excellent teaching experience but have been unable to find work in Oz. If a skill is on the shortage list, how come people are finding it hard to get a job?

thanks

Lorraine
Depends on the age range and the subject if secondary. As you can see, WA seems to be fine at the moment for teachers but there are several reasons for that. Primary seems to be well filled in general but as secondary is on the CSL, there must be a need in that area. Looking through the State lists, you can see that some subject areas seem to be in demand; Maths, Science and some forms of DT.

I think you should speak to a reputable MARA agent, we are using Ian Harrop (who's excellent) and there are a few others that keep getting highly recommended on the Aus section of BE.

One point is that lists change and so do priority of processing etc so you cannot rely on things not changing. Rule of thumb, apply as soon as you can.

Good luck,
Cooler
Old Jul 27th 2009, 9:53 am
Forum Regular

poppyandpeanut is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Briar

there is still a shortage in some areas and in some subjects. science and maths will always need teachers
Old Jul 28th 2009, 4:47 am
Forum Regular

Briar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond reputeBriar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hereshoping
This is not necessarily true, there IS a shortage of teachers of some subjects in some areas.

Science/ Maths types are needed almost everywhere

Primary teachers are needed practically nowhere

everything else depends on the area.
This may be true in Victoria, but not in WA. WA have a half cohort moving from primary to secondary in 2010 and will have a surplus of secondary teachers. They will however need more primary teachers, especially if the global stuff improves and all the anticipated retirements happen.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.