Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Teaching
Reload this Page >

Please can anyone advice me?

Please can anyone advice me?

Old Jul 20th 2009, 9:42 pm
Just Joined

mrsminkie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Please can anyone advice me?

Hello,

This is my first post. My husband and I have recently decided to emmigrate so we're still in the early stages of finding out what visas and SOL's are!

I have a Mech Eng degree, but haven't worked in the industry. Apparently I'm 5 points short of a Skilled migrant visa. However, Since having my daughter last year and wanting to have more children, I have decided to go into teaching as it's a job that I know I'll enjoy and will fit around a family. Also, hopefully, it's a vocation that I can find work in in the UK but also hopefully in Australia when we emmigrate. I'm due to start my PGCE in the next few months.

Please can anyone help me fill in some more of the blanks i.e. realistically - how many years experience do I HAVE to have before I could find a job in Australia? Any tips for increasing my chances?

Many thanks

Lorraine

p.s. I do have my heart set on Queensland, but I'm realistic and know that I need to know where the work is. My husband used to work in IT and as it's in demand is going to re-enter the industry and take his MCSE to increase his skills.

Last edited by mrsminkie; Jul 20th 2009 at 10:26 pm.
Old Jul 21st 2009, 12:04 am
Living the dream!

kar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to all
Default Re: Please can anyone advice me?

Originally Posted by mrsminkie
Hello,

This is my first post. My husband and I have recently decided to emmigrate so we're still in the early stages of finding out what visas and SOL's are!

I have a Mech Eng degree, but haven't worked in the industry. Apparently I'm 5 points short of a Skilled migrant visa. However, Since having my daughter last year and wanting to have more children, I have decided to go into teaching as it's a job that I know I'll enjoy and will fit around a family. Also, hopefully, it's a vocation that I can find work in in the UK but also hopefully in Australia when we emmigrate. I'm due to start my PGCE in the next few months.

Please can anyone help me fill in some more of the blanks i.e. realistically - how many years experience do I HAVE to have before I could find a job in Australia? Any tips for increasing my chances?

Many thanks

Lorraine

p.s. I do have my heart set on Queensland, but I'm realistic and know that I need to know where the work is. My husband used to work in IT and as it's in demand is going to re-enter the industry and take his MCSE to increase his skills.
Hi there!

You can teach in Australia the second you have that PGCE in hand BUT you would only qualify as a SKILLED migrant after 3 years of experience - hence then being skilled.

There are few teaching jobs in the UK - my husband and I are both teachers and this is the reason we left the Uk, no jobs! So take that into account, you might find it very difficult to get 3 years experience.

My husband was sponsored on a 457 visa with WA, but they don't do it anymore. You could try state sponsorship, but not sure of their requirements.

It's also worth noting that teaching jobs over here are not in wide supply either, and seemingly WA will have 3000 surplus teachers in January.

Any way, good luck with your decisions!
Old Jul 21st 2009, 1:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Doing a PGCE Something like Maths, Science, Engineering,DT teacher would be highly sought after overseas.

Are you thinking high school,primary or College/Uni teacher?

One way of getting your experience is trying International schools (private schools that do UK or IB curriculum) after your PGCE. They usually provide free education for your child, free or subsidised housing, etc. Massive shortage of science,engineering, maths teachers worldwide. You dont have to go far you could work in Europe.
They sometimes say one or two years experience, however I know they find it hard to get Maths,Science,Engineering/DT teachers so may take you newly qualified.
Take a look at www.tesjobs.co.uk for Interantional school jobs, most advertise around March time but some jobs all year round.

Other thing is to contact say Smart teachers agency as they have found teachers with work on temp sponsorship visa and sometimes in OZ Catholic schools.

However Engineering is on the CSL list if you could get experience in this first you could get over here easier. You could then train as a teacher later once you were in Australia.

Gems
Old Jul 21st 2009, 10:28 am
Just Joined

Default Re: Please can anyone advise me?

Hi,

I was planning on doing a PGCE to teach secondary maths with a view to diversifying once I got into teaching to maybe teach science also.

I would love to teach A-Level which I've been told I can go into once I have my PGCE. I have also noticed that some GCSE's being offered are in Engineering which could be worth looking at also. Lots of options, but I am going to concentrate on Maths to start with.

My husband and I definitely have our heart set on Australia.

I have done some points tests and most don't ask for 3 years experience. To be recognised as a teacher you need at least 3 years tertiary education (I have my 4 yr degree) PLUS a recognised qualification in teaching (my PGCE will cover that) and asks for 12 months out of the last 24 months experience which again I hope my PGCE will cover. In addition to that, I'm hoping to do my induction year as a NQT.

Do I definitely need 3 years experience to get into Australia? It seems that the information out there isn't consistent.

My husband also won't have 3 (recent) years experience in IT by the time we apply (unless we wait even longer) but he does have 3.5 years experience (although he left the industry for a few years). Will this matter also?

many thanks, much appreciated

Lorraine
Old Jul 21st 2009, 10:41 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

Location: Brisbane, QLD. (Though an Ulster girl through and through!)
Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Please can anyone advise me?

Hi,

I was planning on doing a PGCE to teach secondary maths with a view to diversifying once I got into teaching to maybe teach science also.

I would love to teach A-Level which I've been told I can go into once I have my PGCE. I have also noticed that some GCSE's being offered are in Engineering which could be worth looking at also. Lots of options, but I am going to concentrate on Maths to start with.

My husband and I definitely have our heart set on Australia.

I have done some points tests and most don't ask for 3 years experience. To be recognised as a teacher you need at least 3 years tertiary education (I have my 4 yr degree) PLUS a recognised qualification in teaching (my PGCE will cover that) and asks for 12 months out of the last 24 months experience which again I hope my PGCE will cover. In addition to that, I'm hoping to do my induction year as a NQT.

Do I definitely need 3 years experience to get into Australia? It seems that the information out there isn't consistent.

My husband also won't have 3 (recent) years experience in IT by the time we apply (unless we wait even longer) but he does have 3.5 years experience (although he left the industry for a few years). Will this matter also?

many thanks, much appreciated

Lorraine
I don't think the 12 months of studying whilst doing your PGCE will count as actual experience, I think it's post qualification experience they're looking for to be honest. (I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong?!)

http://www.teachingaustralia.edu.au/ta/go

'Teaching Australia' are the people who will actually assess your qualifications and your eligiblity to teach in Australia. I can't comment on the three years experience to apply for a skilled migrant visa, as I have 9 years experience and never had to have this clarified...though I'm sure someone else will also clarify this, in time...
Old Jul 21st 2009, 11:02 am
Just Joined

If i do need three years experience, then at least I know and I can formulate a plan based on that. If I don't need three then it does change things. Maybe I'll write to Teaching Australia and ask them the question.

thank you
Old Jul 21st 2009, 11:16 am
Living the dream!

kar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to all

If i do need three years experience, then at least I know and I can formulate a plan based on that. If I don't need three then it does change things. Maybe I'll write to Teaching Australia and ask them the question.

thank you
You can teach with less than 3 years experience, that's not the problem. It's getting the skilled migrant visa that requires the experience - you need to be a SKILLED migrant, not newly qualified. Teach Australia will accept your quals and allow you to teach, the problem will be getting in the country in the first place. Your best bet maybe to get your other half to gain 'recent experience ' while you train and do your NQT year!
Old Jul 21st 2009, 11:19 am
Just Joined

Hi - that does make sense....2 seperate issues - 1. Being ABLE to teach and 2. being ABLE to get INTO the country.......

Right, ok, brilliant. So, if my husband has 3.5 years experience in IT, but had a few years out the industry and then goes back in....how many years experience does he need to be classed as a skilled migrant? 3? I keep noticing a question being 3 out of last 4 years.

thanks

Lorraine
Old Jul 21st 2009, 11:54 am
Living the dream!

I THINK that is right, but you would need to check www.immi.gov.au to know for sure!
Old Jul 21st 2009, 11:56 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kar-kier
I THINK that is right, but you would need to check www.immi.gov.au to know for sure!
hello u
Old Jul 21st 2009, 1:05 pm
Living the dream!

Hey there!!!
Originally Posted by Jen1977ni
hello u
Old Jul 22nd 2009, 9:17 am
BE Forum Addict

hereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by kar-kier
You can teach with less than 3 years experience, that's not the problem. It's getting the skilled migrant visa that requires the experience - you need to be a SKILLED migrant, not newly qualified. Teach Australia will accept your quals and allow you to teach, the problem will be getting in the country in the first place. Your best bet maybe to get your other half to gain 'recent experience ' while you train and do your NQT year!
Actually you only need 12 months experience to count as skilled. But many people need the extra 10 points that come from the extra experience of having 3 years teaching.
Old Jul 22nd 2009, 9:30 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by hereshoping
Actually you only need 12 months experience to count as skilled. But many people need the extra 10 points that come from the extra experience of having 3 years teaching.
So If i got my PGCE and then did my NQT (Induction) year, then I SHOULD be able to get the skilled migrant visa? That would be excellent.

I've heard from a few people though who have excellent teaching experience but have been unable to find work in Oz. If a skill is on the shortage list, how come people are finding it hard to get a job?

thanks

Lorraine
Old Jul 22nd 2009, 10:52 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

So If i got my PGCE and then did my NQT (Induction) year, then I SHOULD be able to get the skilled migrant visa? That would be excellent.

I've heard from a few people though who have excellent teaching experience but have been unable to find work in Oz. If a skill is on the shortage list, how come people are finding it hard to get a job?

thanks

Lorraine
Because......lots of people left teaching to go work in the mines etc, making an absolute fortune, RECESSION - MINES CLOSED - EVERYONE BACK INTO TEACHING!

Or thats what I heard lol
Old Jul 22nd 2009, 11:33 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Jen1977ni
Because......lots of people left teaching to go work in the mines etc, making an absolute fortune, RECESSION - MINES CLOSED - EVERYONE BACK INTO TEACHING!

Or thats what I heard lol
So is there a shortage or not?? very confusing!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.