Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Teaching
Reload this Page >

Qualification Equivalence for Primary School Teachers emigrating to Australia

Qualification Equivalence for Primary School Teachers emigrating to Australia

Old Jan 3rd 2017, 7:14 pm
Just Joined

charl92j is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Qualification Equivalence for Primary School Teachers emigrating to Australia

Hi,

Just looking for some additional information regarding the equivalence of qualifications being transferred from UK to Australia. It is early days for myself, currently just doing a lot of research into the application/registration process and the best route for moving.

I have recently read a lot of forums regarding Australian Governments and in particular, Queensland College of Teachers, stating that a 4-year qualification is mandatory. However, when looking on the website, they kind of contradict themselves, stating that they review qualifications on a case-by-case basis.

Just wondered if there is anybody out there with any experience of this registration process and if anybody with a 3-year qualification has been rejected? I don't see how they refuse to accept anything less than 4-years considering a 4-year teaching qualification (BEd) is no longer an option, it is now completed within 3 years. The only 4 year degree is by doing the undergrad and PGCE route.

Thanks in advance.
Old May 6th 2017, 12:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Babsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud of
Default Re: Qualification Equivalence for Primary School Teachers emigrating to Australia

My three year degree wasn't recognised & I had to do another year at uni when I got here. Registration was fairly straightforward after that. I didn't mind too much as I was an nqt in uk & because I had done all my pracs I didn't have to do any with my course & could just do a 12 month online course ($5k) but could claim nearly all of it back in tax. I also got a post grad Australian qual which has since been very handy.
However that was 2011 & I don't know if it is still the same?
Best get in touch with the registration board for teaching in whichever state you are going to live. Mine was QCT,Qld.
Old May 16th 2017, 8:58 pm
Just Joined

charl92j is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Qualification Equivalence for Primary School Teachers emigrating to Australia

Thank you for your reply Babsw, it is much appreciated.
Could you give me any additional information regarding your situation when your were emigrating and applying? You stated that you were an NQT, so did you complete your NQT in the UK before moving out there? What did you do (job wise) during the year in which you completed a 12 month online course? What did the course entail? Was it quite demanding?

Also, what was your situation regarding visas? Were you able to use your partner/husband as a main applicant? Would you recommend contacting the QCT to see if they will assess my personal circumstance and advise what is best to do?

I am in a tricky situation. Only really in the early stages of gaining an insight into what to do and the application process. We are also looking to move to Queensland as we already have family out there. However, neither myself nor my partner qualify for any of the criteria on the SOL (Skills Occupation List), as I am within the Primary Teaching sector and he is a Personal Trainer. I wouldn't mind coming out there and completing a 12 month course, if I knew that I could work alongside that, preferably within a school context, maybe as a Teaching Assistant (or equivalent). Just don't fancy returning to university any time soon as I am only just currently completing my degree. Have a job lined up for September, so hoping to get my NQT year out the way and start the application process. However, I have been told so many different stories from different forums and Facebook pages, I don't quite know which is correct. The latest I have heard is that I need to gain 400 days experience. Meaning at least 2 years of teaching experience.

Feel so confused! Any additional info would be fab!!!
Old May 16th 2017, 11:44 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by charl92j
Thank you for your reply Babsw, it is much appreciated.
Could you give me any additional information regarding your situation when your were emigrating and applying? You stated that you were an NQT, so did you complete your NQT in the UK before moving out there? What did you do (job wise) during the year in which you completed a 12 month online course? What did the course entail? Was it quite demanding?

Also, what was your situation regarding visas? Were you able to use your partner/husband as a main applicant? Would you recommend contacting the QCT to see if they will assess my personal circumstance and advise what is best to do?

I am in a tricky situation. Only really in the early stages of gaining an insight into what to do and the application process. We are also looking to move to Queensland as we already have family out there. However, neither myself nor my partner qualify for any of the criteria on the SOL (Skills Occupation List), as I am within the Primary Teaching sector and he is a Personal Trainer. I wouldn't mind coming out there and completing a 12 month course, if I knew that I could work alongside that, preferably within a school context, maybe as a Teaching Assistant (or equivalent). Just don't fancy returning to university any time soon as I am only just currently completing my degree. Have a job lined up for September, so hoping to get my NQT year out the way and start the application process. However, I have been told so many different stories from different forums and Facebook pages, I don't quite know which is correct. The latest I have heard is that I need to gain 400 days experience. Meaning at least 2 years of teaching experience.

Feel so confused! Any additional info would be fab!!!
The SOL no longer exists, you need to check out the two new lists.
If neither of your roles appear on the lists, as you say, then what visa are you planning to apply for?