Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Teaching
Reload this Page >

PGCE in UK for overseas teacher

PGCE in UK for overseas teacher

Old Apr 8th 2010, 11:32 am
Wanderer

Location: Australia, Scotland, NZ, China, Spain, Scotland again wha hae!
saoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to behold
Default PGCE in UK for overseas teacher

Hi all, hope your journeys to life in Australia are going well!! This is my 6th year of trying to go the other way (with 3 years living in the UK and trying to get sponsored before that), & each time I get close, the Home Office changes the rules on me...

I have a combined BA/Bachelor of Ed (Oz qual) but unfortunately due to the "4 year rule", can't teach in England. I have tried other means of returning to no avail so I'm in the process of selling my house to fund returning as a student, after which I hope to stay on via the Post-Study work visa etc etc

Does anyone know if it's possible to study the PGDE in the UK if you already have teaching qualifications? Can anyone recommend a good uni or course coordinator who'd be able to provide further advice? There just seem to be millions of PGDE courses out there I can't imagine where to start & I just read that we're only allowed to apply to 2!! Thanks!
Old Apr 9th 2010, 9:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: PGCE in UK for overseas teacher

Try the open university they make give you some credit for previous study.
Its distance learning but placement will have to be done in UK.

http://www3.open.ac.uk/study/undergr...cation/c71.htm

Open Uni post graduate is accepted worldwide. International schools, Australia and UK schools accept it.

Gems
Old Apr 11th 2010, 5:28 am
Wanderer

saoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to behold

hi, thanks for your reply. can't do OU, i'm afraid. they won't give me a visa to study in the UK for distance learning - has to be on-campus and full-time. have heard now that I should be able to do it and may be able to get some credit for the course from my existing qualifications...off to do a bit more research!
Old Apr 13th 2010, 4:21 pm
Forum Regular

bigticket77 is just really nicebigticket77 is just really nicebigticket77 is just really nicebigticket77 is just really nicebigticket77 is just really nicebigticket77 is just really nicebigticket77 is just really nicebigticket77 is just really nice

I did my PCGE at Glasgow University. Try there and Strathclyde Uni, which are both great courses and uni's.
Old Apr 16th 2010, 9:31 am
Wanderer

thanks bigticket, have heard that. sadly just discovering that PGDE are some of the most expensive courses to do - nearly 2000 pounds more expensive than a year of other postgrad...all news a bit disheartening at a moment
Old Apr 18th 2010, 3:19 am
Forum Regular

lekkilizard is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=saoghalbeag;8500642]thanks bigticket, have heard that. sadly just discovering that PGDE are some of the most expensive courses to do - nearly 2000 pounds more expensive than a year of other postgrad...all news a bit disheartening at a moment [/QUOTE

Have a look at the following

http://www.chilterntraininggroup.org/index.html

Based in Luton so close to London. An excellent programme and accepts overseas applicants. My sister in law qualified through Chiltern and I have worked closely with them for many years prior to coming to Oz. They actually pay you as you train and it is a PGCE !!

Check it out and hopefully fingers crossed could be an option.

Nx
Old Jul 10th 2010, 11:34 pm
Just Joined

sarah_gaz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by saoghalbeag
Hi all, hope your journeys to life in Australia are going well!! This is my 6th year of trying to go the other way (with 3 years living in the UK and trying to get sponsored before that), & each time I get close, the Home Office changes the rules on me...

I have a combined BA/Bachelor of Ed (Oz qual) but unfortunately due to the "4 year rule", can't teach in England. I have tried other means of returning to no avail so I'm in the process of selling my house to fund returning as a student, after which I hope to stay on via the Post-Study work visa etc etc

Does anyone know if it's possible to study the PGDE in the UK if you already have teaching qualifications? Can anyone recommend a good uni or course coordinator who'd be able to provide further advice? There just seem to be millions of PGDE courses out there I can't imagine where to start & I just read that we're only allowed to apply to 2!! Thanks!
I am a teacher from Canada and got Qualified Teacher Status through an Overseas Trained Teacher Program (google OTTP). I taught full time and got my qualification at the same time. I'm not sure if you can do it if you've already taught in the UK for 4 years, but it may be worth looking into.
Sarah