NSW Teaching and 457 Visa

Old Sep 10th 2012, 3:52 am
Just Joined

NorthernBeaches is an unknown quantity at this point
Default NSW Teaching and 457 Visa

My partner and I recently moved to Sydney. She has a PCGE and full four year MA degree so has been granted approval to teach K-6 primary. However, the NSW Education Board seem to have a rule that as she is on a 4 year 457 visa she won’t be able to apply for any permanent state jobs and will on be able to teach day to day supply.
Has anyone else come across this restriction are there any other options out there?
It seems all the majority of private schools want references from Ministers and essays on ‘your relationship with God’ which as non-active Christians we would struggle with (and disagree with schools having this sort discrimination).
Old Sep 11th 2012, 10:04 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

Location: Brisbane, QLD. (Though an Ulster girl through and through!)
Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NSW Teaching and 457 Visa

Originally Posted by NorthernBeaches
My partner and I recently moved to Sydney. She has a PCGE and full four year MA degree so has been granted approval to teach K-6 primary. However, the NSW Education Board seem to have a rule that as she is on a 4 year 457 visa she won’t be able to apply for any permanent state jobs and will on be able to teach day to day supply.
Has anyone else come across this restriction are there any other options out there?
It seems all the majority of private schools want references from Ministers and essays on ‘your relationship with God’ which as non-active Christians we would struggle with (and disagree with schools having this sort discrimination).
Surely she can do contracts too? The chances of her getting anything permanent are pretty rare. Most teachers who train in Australia have to do 'regional/country service' straight after uni, (which means going out 'bush/whoop whoop' for a few years) to gain permanency, before going back to work in the larger towns and cities. I've been teaching here in Australia for just over 2.5 years now and have pretty much resigned myself to the fact that I'll never be permanent. HOWEVER I've only had a handful of days where I've not been employed and have been working solidly on two back to back contracts since Feb 2011, at the same school! Don't give up hope...