Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Teaching
Reload this Page >

Not on new sol but still able to apply for SS?

Not on new sol but still able to apply for SS?

Old May 17th 2010, 6:01 pm
Forum Regular

uklass is on a distinguished road
Default Not on new sol but still able to apply for SS?

Think I've got this right but keen for reassurance!

Am a primary teacher & my job isn't on new SOL but always planned to apply for NT SS so...if still eligible for that when the suspension is lifted from diac for new applications (if it is!) can I still apply?
Old May 18th 2010, 1:18 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

Location: Brisbane, QLD. (Though an Ulster girl through and through!)
Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Not on new sol but still able to apply for SS?

Originally Posted by uklass
Think I've got this right but keen for reassurance!

Am a primary teacher & my job isn't on new SOL but always planned to apply for NT SS so...if still eligible for that when the suspension is lifted from diac for new applications (if it is!) can I still apply?
Not quite what you were asking but I applied for SS from NT but was turned down because I wasn't prepared to live in the back of beyond aka Woop Woop. Are you prepared to live in a very regional area at first? If so then you might be successful in gaining SS from NT! Keep us posted on your progress, good luck!
Old May 18th 2010, 8:25 am
BE Enthusiast

bezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of light

Once you have SS for the NT tehre is nothing stopping you living anywhere in the Territory.

The issue might be where they (the state government) need you to work for the first couple of years.

Even Darwin feels remote(ish) - most just feels isolated.

Bezza
Old May 18th 2010, 8:31 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bezzanbob
Once you have SS for the NT tehre is nothing stopping you living anywhere in the Territory.

The issue might be where they (the state government) need you to work for the first couple of years.

Even Darwin feels remote(ish) - most just feels isolated.

Bezza
Just passing on my experiences in dealing with the NT with regards to SS....
Old May 18th 2010, 8:45 am
BE Enthusiast

bezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of light

No offence meant. I did speak to the NT and they were fairly positive but then again I'm secondary which, like the exchange, could explain the difference experience.

You must be glad you got Towomba(sp?) in the end?

Bezza
Old May 18th 2010, 8:53 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

Originally Posted by bezzanbob
No offence meant. I did speak to the NT and they were fairly positive but then again I'm secondary which, like the exchange, could explain the difference experience.

You must be glad you got Towomba(sp?) in the end?

Bezza
We didn't come here on my 175 in the end, my partner got an ENS 120 so we're in TW because this is our first army posting with the ADF....but so far so good, it's a decent wee spot, except it's missing a beach lol
Old May 18th 2010, 7:54 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Jen1977ni
Not quite what you were asking but I applied for SS from NT but was turned down because I wasn't prepared to live in the back of beyond aka Woop Woop. Are you prepared to live in a very regional area at first? If so then you might be successful in gaining SS from NT! Keep us posted on your progress, good luck!
Thanks Jen, no woop woop wouldn't be for me. I've lived & worked in Darwin & love it there but thats where I would want to live, there or Katherine, to be honest have been dithering for over a year now due to a more realistic view on finances & cost of living so if it was only the outback then that probably make up my mind (at last!!!).

Thanks for heads up, will get in touch & see what they say - but still all good for applying for SS depsite new sol?
Old May 18th 2010, 9:56 pm
'Made in Ulster' Member

Originally Posted by uklass
Thanks Jen, no woop woop wouldn't be for me. I've lived & worked in Darwin & love it there but thats where I would want to live, there or Katherine, to be honest have been dithering for over a year now due to a more realistic view on finances & cost of living so if it was only the outback then that probably make up my mind (at last!!!).

Thanks for heads up, will get in touch & see what they say - but still all good for applying for SS depsite new sol?
That part I have no idea about, I think everythings up in the air with regards to that question, til at least July when the applications for GSM resume and things become a little clearer. You could always say you're going to go to woop woop then in fact settle in Darwin like suggested above, I'm sure that'd be more than doable, but research it first....good luck chick! Jen
Old Jun 6th 2010, 5:50 am
Forum Regular

Arrrgh!!!

I know really I have to wait until July 1st but am impatient!....

So if nothing more than a vent this is my thought process...

To apply for SS you need at least 100 points, but if primary school teacher is no longer on the SOL I've lost 60 points so can no longer make the 100....so even if my occupation is on the NT shortage list I can't apply?

Is this right?...and why has it take so long to dawn on me (d'oh!)...Or I just need to wait & see!...Arrgh!!! Rant over!