masters in education

Old Sep 21st 2014, 9:29 am
Just Joined

cparris is an unknown quantity at this point
Default masters in education

Hi everyone
I am brand new on here and would really appreciate some advice. I completed a degree in mathematics, then a pgce and have been teaching for three years. I had planned to continue my master's in education over the next two years. However the pull of teaching in Australia is calling me. I am interested to know if having a uk awarded master's would enhance my career prospects in Australia. I am currently second in my department and would ideally like to progress to head of department/assistant principal whilst in Australia. Will a master's from the UK be favourable for these higher positions? Would be great to know as to whether it will be a waste of time/money.
Any advice will be appreciated.

Catherine

Last edited by cparris; Sep 21st 2014 at 10:14 am. Reason: spelling mistake
Old Sep 22nd 2014, 1:41 pm
Forum Regular

musicalfever4 is just really nicemusicalfever4 is just really nicemusicalfever4 is just really nicemusicalfever4 is just really nicemusicalfever4 is just really nicemusicalfever4 is just really nicemusicalfever4 is just really nicemusicalfever4 is just really nice
Default Re: masters in education

From my experience - without Australian experience it will even be difficult to get a part-time, fixed-term teaching position. Some teachers even don't tell that they have masters, because some schools tend to regard them as over-qualified.
From a secondary school teacher who applied for around 60 positions in Victoria -without success.
Petra
Old Sep 22nd 2014, 3:45 pm
Just Joined

cparris is an unknown quantity at this point

This is very disappointing news. I have been lead to believe that teachers in certain subjects are in demand in Australia. Which subject do you teach? Have you managed to get any supply work to gain experience?

Catherine
Old Sep 22nd 2014, 4:40 pm
Forum Regular

musicalfever4 is just really nicemusicalfever4 is just really nicemusicalfever4 is just really nicemusicalfever4 is just really nicemusicalfever4 is just really nicemusicalfever4 is just really nicemusicalfever4 is just really nicemusicalfever4 is just really nice

Well, yes, maths and science are in demand, but I'm into LOTE and music. We gave up and returned back home where I started working again with the start of the new school year.

Petra