INFO - Teaching in VIC

Old Sep 9th 2010, 12:52 pm
Forum Regular

ollydt is an unknown quantity at this point
Default INFO - Teaching in VIC

Hi guys,

Thought I'd post this information for anyone who is coming to teach in Victoria, Australia.

Just as a disclaimer I know people would have had other experiences, but this is just what I have been told.

We were about to do a CV drop around some schools in Melbourne when a family member got us a meeting with her cousin who is a principal. Basically he told us that in state schools just dropping a CV will not, or at least should not, get you a position, unless on a short term (less than 6 month contract).

If you go to the Victoria Education website and look for recruitment online they have Key Selection Criteria which applicants for posts must show they meet. He suggested that we basically do a written response to these 6 criterion and attach that to our CVs. Each criteria is usually answered in one page of A4.

I hope this helps someone, and maybe saves people time and effort,

Best of luck

Olly
Old Nov 20th 2010, 2:33 pm
Forum Regular

scotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: INFO - Teaching in VIC

Originally Posted by ollydt
Hi guys,

Thought I'd post this information for anyone who is coming to teach in Victoria, Australia.

Just as a disclaimer I know people would have had other experiences, but this is just what I have been told.

We were about to do a CV drop around some schools in Melbourne when a family member got us a meeting with her cousin who is a principal. Basically he told us that in state schools just dropping a CV will not, or at least should not, get you a position, unless on a short term (less than 6 month contract).

Olly
That's very helpful Olly!

I will pass info on to my husband. I know he has applied for 5-6 positions from the UK - sent CV and covering letter but apart from a standard letter back there has been nothing.............

You may see my other post, but if not, how do you go about registering to teach in Victoria?

Thanks in advance.

If you go to the Victoria Education website and look for recruitment online they have Key Selection Criteria which applicants for posts must show they meet. He suggested that we basically do a written response to these 6 criterion and attach that to our CVs. Each criteria is usually answered in one page of A4.

Best of luck
Old Nov 20th 2010, 9:06 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by scotsista
That's very helpful Olly!

I will pass info on to my husband. I know he has applied for 5-6 positions from the UK - sent CV and covering letter but apart from a standard letter back there has been nothing.............

You may see my other post, but if not, how do you go about registering to teach in Victoria?

Thanks in advance.

Best of luck

Hi,

To register to teach in Victoria you need to register with VIT (Victorian Institute of Teaching) but depending on visa you may need to have qualifications recognized by Teach Australia. VIT is really straight forward and if you get stuck email them and they are pretty helpful. In same way as applying for a visa though you should get a certified copy of your documents. Also get a letter from your employed to say how long you have taught, subjects taught and your current position on the pay scale including current salary. That has been helpful to make sure you are paid the correct amount immediately and not starting at the bottom until they received confirmation. The school my wife has found work for next year has honored her progression because of it.

As a final point, unless your husband is a Maths/ Science teacher he may find it tough getting a job before he arrives. The private schools like to do initial interviews followed by an interview with the head and state schools are pretty similar in some cases.

For jobs in private look at (there are a lot of these schools)

seek.com.au
mycareer.com.au
independentschools.com.au

For state go to https://schooljobs.education.vic.gov.au

As another point when applying for private we have been advised that a one page cover letter should suffice and then a solid CV.

Hope this isn't information overload and if you need anything else just let me know.

Olly
Old Nov 21st 2010, 10:33 am
Forum Regular

scotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond reputescotsista has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

To register to teach in Victoria you need to register with VIT (Victorian Institute of Teaching) but depending on visa you may need to have qualifications recognized by Teach Australia. VIT is really straight forward and if you get stuck email them and they are pretty helpful. In same way as applying for a visa though you should get a certified copy of your documents. Also get a letter from your employed to say how long you have taught, subjects taught and your current position on the pay scale including current salary. That has been helpful to make sure you are paid the correct amount immediately and not starting at the bottom until they received confirmation. The school my wife has found work for next year has honored her progression because of it.

As a final point, unless your husband is a Maths/ Science teacher he may find it tough getting a job before he arrives. The private schools like to do initial interviews followed by an interview with the head and state schools are pretty similar in some cases.

For jobs in private look at (there are a lot of these schools)

seek.com.au
mycareer.com.au
independentschools.com.au

For state go to https://schooljobs.education.vic.gov.au

As another point when applying for private we have been advised that a one page cover letter should suffice and then a solid CV.

Hope this isn't information overload and if you need anything else just let me know.

Olly
Thanks so much - not information overload at all - extremely helpful.

I did a bit of searching around and found out about VIT application so I have downloaded that and hopefully my husband will complete it today - taking the kids out to give him much needed peace!

My understanding is he already has had a skills assessment with Skills Australia but I need to double check that with him.

Thanks so much for your help - feels a bit of a minefield at the moment.......
Old Nov 24th 2010, 7:47 pm
Forum Regular

Hi,

Olly
Hi Olly

I do have another couple of questions:-

Would you say salaries for secondary school teachers are on a par with the UK. I know you said before that your wife showed evidence of her previous salary and it was able to be matched. I wondered if there is a scale like the UK and if the pay is much the same?

As well as applying for posts when we arrive, I believe my husband is hoping to register as a supply teacher. Is there quite alot of supply work available and how is this salary worked out. Excuse my ignorance but my husband has never worked supply here in UK so we're not sure.......... I presume you are not paid for holidays etc - only the days you work.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.
Old Nov 24th 2010, 10:27 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Olly

I do have another couple of questions:-

Would you say salaries for secondary school teachers are on a par with the UK. I know you said before that your wife showed evidence of her previous salary and it was able to be matched. I wondered if there is a scale like the UK and if the pay is much the same?

As well as applying for posts when we arrive, I believe my husband is hoping to register as a supply teacher. Is there quite alot of supply work available and how is this salary worked out. Excuse my ignorance but my husband has never worked supply here in UK so we're not sure.......... I presume you are not paid for holidays etc - only the days you work.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.
Don't worry about questions I asked all the same things.

Regarding pay they have a pay scale which on current exchange rates far eclipses UK pay. My wife is going into her 5th year of teaching and will be on $66k next year. So much better.

As regarding supply it'll depend much on where you live as there different agencies for living on the East or West of West Gate bridge. I highly recommend Tradewind Recruitment. I'm on $210 a day and work has been pretty consistent. I have also contacted private schools directly. This is good but you need to do a CV drop around any schools you like the look of. Through this approach I got $258 a day. Exactly that with holidays only paid what you work. Although they all make a contribution into your superannuation (pension) fund.

When are you thinking of moving over? If your husband is still working in UK see if he can get experience of teaching other subjects this year to add to his teaching methods. You may have noticed a lot of job adverts it will say 'Maths/Science' 'English/History' which is different most job adverts in the UK.

Olly
Old Nov 25th 2010, 11:34 am
Forum Regular

Hi Olly

Very helpful again -

We are planning to move over sometime next May and will initially live with family in Noble Park North. I don't know if this is where we will eventually stay - will wait and see how we feel once we've spent a bit of time there. We would probably want to be nearby our family though.

My husband has been a French/Italian teacher for 8 years. He could probably confidently teach ICT as well though doesn't have any teaching experience of this subject.

The pay sounds good then compared to UK. Thanks for recommending an agent too - always good to get recommendations!

How long have you both been in Melbourne? Hope you are both enjoying your time there and continue to do so........

Thanks again.
Old Jul 21st 2011, 11:04 am
Forum Regular

Wondering if anyone can confirm a query regarding salary for teachers in Victoria?

My husband has been told his years of teaching in the UK will be honoured in relation to the salary scale here. We are confused if this relates to only full time teaching positions. My husband taught full time for 3 years and then the last 4 years have been part time, 3 days a week. The salary he has been receiving here has been a bit less than expected and the school did want to know how long he had been teaching both full and part time so we are wondering if this is why there is a discrepancy?? His Head Teacher here doesn't seem to have a clue so thought it might be worthwhile to ask here.

Thanks in advance.

Angela
Old Aug 5th 2011, 2:02 pm
Forum Regular

Wondering if anyone can confirm a query regarding salary for teachers in Victoria?

My husband has been told his years of teaching in the UK will be honoured in relation to the salary scale here. We are confused if this relates to only full time teaching positions. My husband taught full time for 3 years and then the last 4 years have been part time, 3 days a week. The salary he has been receiving here has been a bit less than expected and the school did want to know how long he had been teaching both full and part time so we are wondering if this is why there is a discrepancy?? His Head Teacher here doesn't seem to have a clue so thought it might be worthwhile to ask here.

Thanks in advance.

Angela
Sorry have not responded sooner.

It seems to depend if you work in private or state. I was offered a job in state but they would only honor full time work and were sketchy as to whether they'd honor my 5 years teaching in the UK.

However I got offered a position at a private school and they honor my five years teaching and pay me equivalent to a teacher in their 6th year.

Depending what he teaches (subject in need) I have been told science and maths teaches should negotiate their salary. Good luck with that though.

Olly
Old Aug 6th 2011, 6:26 am
Forum Regular

Sorry have not responded sooner.

It seems to depend if you work in private or state. I was offered a job in state but they would only honor full time work and were sketchy as to whether they'd honor my 5 years teaching in the UK.

However I got offered a position at a private school and they honor my five years teaching and pay me equivalent to a teacher in their 6th year.

Depending what he teaches (subject in need) I have been told science and maths teaches should negotiate their salary. Good luck with that though.

Olly
Thanks for that Olly.

We ended up contacting HR and it is only the full time equivalent that is honoured in his school. Never mind, it is only slightly less than we were expecting. My husband is really enjoying working in his school (Sandringham College, Melbourne) and says it is a pleasure teaching the pupils there. Very different from his last school in Edinburgh!

Thanks again for your help!
Old Mar 11th 2012, 3:23 pm
Just Joined

Nicos7 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

We are just about to start the process of applying for a visa. I am a teacher with 8 years experience in the uk. Everything seems a bit of a minefield... could you outline the order you applied for various things in, i.e skills assessment, teacher registration, etc do you have to do these before you apply for visa (think we need the skilled migrant independent 175 subclass) or during the application process or after?!
Any help is greatly appreciated, we would like to get our application well underway before it all changes in July.

Cheers
Old Mar 11th 2012, 11:11 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Nicos7
Hi,

We are just about to start the process of applying for a visa. I am a teacher with 8 years experience in the uk. Everything seems a bit of a minefield... could you outline the order you applied for various things in, i.e skills assessment, teacher registration, etc do you have to do these before you apply for visa (think we need the skilled migrant independent 175 subclass) or during the application process or after?!
Any help is greatly appreciated, we would like to get our application well underway before it all changes in July.

Cheers
Hi there,

In my experience I applied for the visa and when that was approved I applied to VIT (Victoria Institute of Teaching) and got my rego for teaching. However, that is because I didn't go the 175 skilled route but a spousal visa.

My mate did however go skilled and my recollection of it was he got his skills recognized by his trade body (in your case Teach Australia) and it was all submitted at the same time as the visa. Once his 175 was approved he then applied to the state board and got his rego for a gas fitter.

Getting your skills recognized is different to having a license to do it here. I suppose it is like the old QTS and then getting the GTC done.

Try the visa boards on the site for some great advice. There are loads of people who have gone through it like you want to and will be able to give you the exact info. Also, have you considered an agency to take care of it for you?

Hope that is marginally useful, good luck and don't hesitate to ask if you think I can be anymore assistance.

Olly
Old Mar 12th 2012, 2:27 pm
Just Joined

Nicos7 is an unknown quantity at this point

Cheers Olly, will have a look. It's a proper bit minefield but we are going for it!

How is life in Melbourne? What's the climate like?
Old Nov 27th 2012, 6:35 pm
Forum Regular

lledlledlled is just really nicelledlledlled is just really nicelledlledlled is just really nicelledlledlled is just really nicelledlledlled is just really nicelledlledlled is just really nicelledlledlled is just really nicelledlledlled is just really nice

Hi guys,

Myself & my wife are hoping to emigrate to Australia next year. The various hoops we have to jump through are beginning to become apparent and look quite daunting to say the least.

As an electrician, I am on the Skills Shortage List but I face a difficult year over there on apprentice wages before I can get a full work license and apply for PR.

So we will really need my wife to be working full-time as soon as possible after we arrive. She qualified as a Primary School Teacher here in Ireland last year and was lucky enough to get a full year's work this year, covering maternity leave. This will be regarded as my wife's DIP/Probation year and she is also studying at night for her honours degree so that should cover the requirement in Oz to have done a four year degree (even though it's at night, it is classed as full-time).

What should she do next? Are there certain states that might be less fussy about her lack of experience? She'll have 12 to 18 months exp by then. Are some states more in need of Primary Teachers in general? We know it isn't on the shortage list but surely she will find subbing work for most days of that year if she is prepared to drive for an hour from wherever we live? We can then relocate to somewhere that she's more likely to get regular employment, once I've got my licence. We have long given up on expecting to spend this first year near a major city but we would like the location to resemble some sort of civilised society!!

We are beginning to feel like our dream is an impossible fantasy, so any help would be really appreciated. We'd basically like to know two things: where to locate, and what the first steps are regarding getting her degree recognised etc..
Old Nov 27th 2012, 7:27 pm
Forum Regular

Hi,

Good luck with everything firstly as it can be a rather long, hoop jumping process.

I teach secondary in a private school in Melbourne so it's difficult to give advice to primary. However, I do think you have the right idea and way forward at the moment.

In terms of easier state I don't think there is one. The Victoria teaching people required a fair bit of info but this just recognizes me as a teacher not a conversion of skills which (I was on a spouse visa so did not have to go through so much of the skills process).

If you want a risky piece of advice have your wife apply for jobs in private schools when they come up. A good friend of ours did this and they sponsored her on a four year working visa and have now paid for both her PR and her husbands. I bet this is the exception not the rule but it may give you an opportunity to get here and apply onshore. They had a one year working visa to get going and from there it's been lucky for them.

In terms of where to locate you have to make that decision, if you have not been to Oz then I would recommend a visit, if you have pick your favourite place and get amongst it. We love Melbourne but everyone here will say same about their little town.

Getting qualifications recognized will really be a process that depends on which route you take and it may be worth you speaking with an agent. Give yourself 2 years planning minimum if you take the skilled route I would say and in that time the wife will have all the experience she needs.

If I think of anything else I will pop back, on train to work so it will be a search of my files that will give some better answers.

Olly

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.