GTP vs PGCE?

Old May 14th 2007, 11:50 am
Just Joined

chris_bspm is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile GTP vs PGCE?

Hello

I am a 23 year old Mathematics Grauate looking to train to become a teacher.

I have a few interviews lined up at universities over the coming days for a PGCE course.

However, in preperation for my university interviews, I visited a School in my local Area and they introduced me to the GTP course. Which, they described, was a better route into teaching as it's 'on-the-job' training.

This seemed better for me (financially and educationally) as they sold it to me as an 'on-the-job' route.

However, as apart of the PGCE, I'm required to teach in schools so would get on the job training this way anyway, is this correct?

The only thing that is stopping me from going full throttle into the GTP course is the fact that it's easier to emmigrate to the likes of USA, Canada, OZ and NZ with a PGCE and pretty much impossible with a GTP - It may be an option for me to teach in these countries for a while and therefore feel the PGCE would be more beneficial.

I realy want to hear from teachers - I'm a little unsure of which route to take - which route would people recommend?

Thanks and I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Regards

Chris
Old May 14th 2007, 12:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

hereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: GTP vs PGCE?

well the GTP is not recognised at all in Australia, and you can't even do supply or teach in an independent school with this qualification. If you wanted to teach out there you would have to take another teaching qualification when you got out there (and would not be able to get the points for being a teacher to emigrate either)

so if youa re seriously considering Oz you would be mad to do a GTP
Old May 14th 2007, 2:23 pm
WS

WS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with Hereshoping, there isn't really a choice!

If you want to have the opportunity to move/work in Australia you will have to do the PGCE?!
Old May 14th 2007, 3:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute

If you want to keep your options open and might want to teach abroad. The PGCE is the only way to go. The GTP is not recognised abroad.

You may get in to an private International school abroad (not AUS,or NZ), but even then they are more likely to recruit a PGCE trained teacher. (we are abroad in international school in Europe)

Me, to save hassle Id go for PGCE. The GTP sounds a good route but long term it may limit your teaching to the UK.

GEMS
Old Sep 5th 2007, 6:07 pm
WS

WS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond repute

This post is nearly 4 months old. Also, PGCE courses started this week