Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Teaching
Reload this Page >

Giving notice and pay rights??

Giving notice and pay rights??

Old Jun 16th 2010, 6:08 pm
Just Joined

Little-miss-80 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Giving notice and pay rights??

I am trying to work out when I should give in my notice but before I do does anyone know the following:

If I was to give in my notice May 2011 so that my last teaching day is the day before the 6 week holidays... Do I still get paid over the summer?

My contract started on the 1st September so I'm guessing I will be paid until the 1st of September due to the 12 month spreading of my wages even if I am not going back but can anyone confirm this for me?

I have only just started the process and have a long way to go but just planning/wanting to know my rights in advance. I would rather finish at the end of the school year and work supply until I leave for NZ if there is a gap between the two

Thanks
Old Jun 16th 2010, 11:47 pm
WS

WS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond reputeWS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Giving notice and pay rights??

Yes you're right. If you started on September 1st then your contract ends on 31st August so this is when you are employed until. It doesn't matter that you finish teaching at the end of July.
Old Jun 19th 2010, 4:07 pm
Just Joined

joandeliot is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Little-miss-80
I am trying to work out when I should give in my notice but before I do does anyone know the following:

If I was to give in my notice May 2011 so that my last teaching day is the day before the 6 week holidays... Do I still get paid over the summer?

My contract started on the 1st September so I'm guessing I will be paid until the 1st of September due to the 12 month spreading of my wages even if I am not going back but can anyone confirm this for me?

I have only just started the process and have a long way to go but just planning/wanting to know my rights in advance. I would rather finish at the end of the school year and work supply until I leave for NZ if there is a gap between the two

Thanks
You need to give 3 months notice basically so provided you hand in your notice by 31st May, you are paid up until 31st August. Just to cover myself, on my resignation letter I wrote that my employment would end on 31st August and I will actually be on my way to Oz by then!!
Jo
Old Jul 14th 2010, 2:12 am
Capt Hilts

coolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WS
Yes you're right. If you started on September 1st then your contract ends on 31st August so this is when you are employed until. It doesn't matter that you finish teaching at the end of July.
That is correct, that is when I got payed til last year.

Cooler
Old Jul 27th 2010, 5:48 am
Top Dog

sniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to all

Originally Posted by joandeliot
You need to give 3 months notice basically so provided you hand in your notice by 31st May, you are paid up until 31st August. Just to cover myself, on my resignation letter I wrote that my employment would end on 31st August and I will actually be on my way to Oz by then!!
Jo
Just being a pedant but it is important when it comes to jobs! .... Three months notice isn't quite true.... You need to resign by 31st may to leave on 31st august; 28 Feb to leave on 30th April and 31st October to leave on 31st December. Watch out for the April one.... Most folks including headteachers think your contract runs until the end of the Easter hols - not true it's the fixed date mentioned above. This means that depending on when Easter falls you might have to work after Easter or get paid for longer... Alterantively just accept that Headteacher knows best keep lips sealed and go at Easter thereby not having to work the extra week or so....

Final advice - don't take my word for it check your contract and / or STPCD book...